Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   fly swap (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=330647)

newflyfisherman 10-02-2017 10:00 PM

fly swap

Hey guys weather's getting colder' the browns are getting ready to spawn and I've been hitting the vise a little more lately. I wanted to see if there was any interest on doing a swap. I was thinking all around trout flies. nymphs dries streamers whatever. if it produced for you this year let's swap em. I could host.. I was thinking ten guys. or if there is less interest then we can go with whoever wants to swap. I'll tie a beadhead pheasant tail in #16

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

newflyfisherman 10-02-2017 10:02 PM

as a side note if anyone chooses to tie streamers let's keep them to smaller. zonkers and buggers kinda thing. no sense tying 10 big articulated streamers and getting a 16 pt in return lol

mattpreat 10-03-2017 01:39 PM

I'd be up for this, not sure what to tie yet but I can figure something out!

newflyfisherman 10-03-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattpreat (Post 3635386)

sounds good! let me know what your thinking about tying!

newflyfisherman 10-04-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattpreat (Post 3635386)

Hey man this isnt really picking up any traction over here so I started a swap at the reddit fly swap if you want to swap flies still! https://www.reddit.com/r/Flyswap/com...h8b/trout_swap
come join!

mattpreat 10-04-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyfisherman (Post 3636372)
Hey man this isnt really picking up any traction over here so I started a swap at the reddit fly swap if you want to swap flies still! https://www.reddit.com/r/Flyswap/com...h8b/trout_swap
come join!

Awesome, will check it out!

Off in the Bushes 10-05-2017 11:35 PM

I’d be down for the swap. Deadline?
If theres only a few of us I’d be willing to tie a few like one dry, one wet, one streamer for the swap.

WillyOneStyle 10-06-2017 07:47 AM

I haven't been in on one of these in a few years, and need an excuse to get back at it anyway. Count me in, let me know the deadline, details, etc.

Willy

scel 10-06-2017 02:50 PM

I would commit. The number of people that get involved will alter what flies I would tie.

newflyfisherman 10-06-2017 04:00 PM

ok well there would be five right now I was thinking deadline a month from whenever we decide we are a go. I like that idea of doing a few different flies each. wouldn't necessarily have to be a streamer and a dry and a wet we could just do three patterns each whatever worked best for us this year. I did really well on little orange soft hackles, pheasant tails, and you couldn't go wrong with a sparkle dun. there are 5 interested right now that would be 15 flies each

newflyfisherman 10-06-2017 04:02 PM

or if a month is too long we could do a shorter deadline as well. you guys let me know what works best for everyone and we will go from there

scel 10-09-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyfisherman (Post 3638118)
or if a month is too long we could do a shorter deadline as well. you guys let me know what works best for everyone and we will go from there

A month is a good amount of time for a full turn around---adulting takes time. The older I get, the more adulting I have to do.

I am gone for a week (back on 16 Oct). I look forward to participating.

Off in the Bushes 10-11-2017 12:22 PM

So do we have a plan like deadline for the mail in is Nov 30 and mail out on Dec 15 then we all get christmas flies. :)

WillyOneStyle 10-13-2017 07:34 AM

I am still with y'all. Just let me know how many and when/where we should send them. I worked through the whole season, so you'll be getting flies that have had historical success, not recent success.

Claymaker 10-16-2017 12:09 AM

I'm just learning wooly bugger but I tie different style bucktail and pattern I'd be interested in joining if that is ok

TEE 10-16-2017 11:50 AM

Hey I'm interested Let me know what it takes and I'm in.

let me know where and when... a PM would be better for me :)

newflyfisherman 10-16-2017 06:11 PM

k guys it looks like this thing is a go so I'll just update. there are six so far who are tying I'm going to close it off at that. the theme is your three most productive patterns this year or historically. the mail out deadline is November 30th and I will mail everything back by the 15th of December if I have everyone's flies at that point. tie six each of your patterns and pm me when you are done for a mailing address. I will be tying a pheasant tail in 16 and a bwo emerger in 16 as well as an orange soft hackle in 16. i sent everyone who said they would tie a pm please let me know if you got it.. I'm using mobile so it seemed like some went through and seemed like some didnt. if everyone wants to get back to me with patterns that they will be tying that would be great so I could update the post and everyone else knows what is being tied.
cheers
dan

newflyfisherman 10-19-2017 11:08 AM

ok so far I've heard back from these users
Off in the Bushes- scud, sculpin, foam hopper
TEE- secret flies
newflyfisherman- pheasant tail, bwo emerger, orange soft hackles
mattpreat- stoneflopper, ftd pheasant tail, modified h and l variant
still need to hear back from users
WillyOneStyle
scel
if you guys could get back to me as soon as possible that would be great
cheers guys happy tying

newflyfisherman 10-19-2017 08:00 PM

update user scel is tying Higa's sos, a micro zonker, and another pattern tbd
thanks guys happy tying

Pikecrazed 10-20-2017 07:48 AM

I'm in I'll tie up a nymph that's a variation on a pheasant tail and does really well

newflyfisherman 10-21-2017 09:29 PM

WillyOneStyle is tying a hares ear, an evil weevil, and a pumpkin head
cheers guys
dan

newflyfisherman 11-17-2017 08:42 PM

Update: have received flies from users: scel and OffInTheBushes. some really clean ties guys. looking forward to seeing the rest of them!

TEE 11-30-2017 02:48 PM

Been off the Grid

Sorry guys, been hunting :D. I'm tying:

* Black wolly bugger
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbLlx1fh...en-by=heftytee

* Water Boatman
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbgcohiB...en-by=heftytee

* Mohair Balance Leech Dropper
~no photo yet, but i'll post tonight

I'll get them in the mail tomorrow ASAP.

newflyfisherman 12-05-2017 06:41 PM

received flies from mattpreat tonight. hopefully the flies from the last two soon and then I'll have everything back out!

newflyfisherman 12-09-2017 09:45 PM

received from WillyOneStyle. just waiting on the final set and I will have them shipped out

newflyfisherman 12-13-2017 06:42 PM

all flies have been received! will sort tomorrow and ship on Saturday! hopefully everyone gets them in time for a nice little Christmas surprise. some really good looking ties in here. thanks to everyone who participated!

scel 12-13-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyfisherman (Post 3688448)
all flies have been received! Will sort tomorrow and ship on saturday! Hopefully everyone gets them in time for a nice little christmas surprise. Some really good looking ties in here. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Sent from my sm-g930w8 using tapatalk

wooo! :)

Off in the Bushes 12-20-2017 04:32 PM

Got my flies today, so nice ties there, thanks to everyone for participating, and newflyfisherman for being our host.

mattpreat 12-21-2017 04:06 PM

Got mine today! Awesome ties everyone and a big thanks to newflyfisherman. All the flies turned out great and will likely see many fish this coming year