Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Winchester model 1894 30-30 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=419798)

Skybuster 02-05-2023 01:07 PM

Winchester model 1894 30-30

Hey guys I just received this rifle from my grandfathers estate. I did a bit of searching online and it appears to me that the value is around 1250 CDN. I am basing this on the model, the year of manufacture (based on serial #), and the condition. I looked up the year from the serial #, it shows 1901. Condition-the barrel has lost some blueing and the tip of the stock has a slight 1" crack. The wood is a tad faded but no mars or scratches. Never been refinished. I believe everything is original, untouched. Other than normal use, Gun functions fine.

I am a complete rookie when it comes to appraising. I am rather surprised in the valuation I have come to and I am hoping one of you has experience in estimating the value of this gun. Then I can determine if I want to sell it or not.

Cheers.

P.S. I am working on getting some pics. If there is anything specific that helps to determine value, let me know.

35 whelen 02-05-2023 05:35 PM

Hopefully my grandkids will keep the rifles I give them for a while and not sell them . Keep it in the family

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Skybuster 02-05-2023 06:17 PM

That is certainly an option.

coolpete1 02-13-2023 08:50 PM

i'm thinking of buying one in the near future , if your looking to sell shoot me a pm

Dewey Cox 02-13-2023 09:21 PM

1250 seems high for a gun with lost bluing and a cracked stock.

58thecat 02-14-2023 07:09 AM

Just keep it, shoot it and enjoy it.
That rifle is far worth more than a few bucks.

Albertajeff 02-14-2023 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4609924)
Just keep it, shoot it and enjoy it.
That rifle is far worth more than a few bucks.

X2

silver 02-14-2023 07:22 AM

I have my grandfather's model 94 in 32 special and I don't care what its worth, not for sale.

Trochu 02-14-2023 09:51 AM

Keep in mind these are auction prices, but quite a few lever guns just sold at the Rosehill Auction last week.

You can see sold prices and photos here: Link

I doubt you'll get that at a private sale, and the crack in the stock is a bit of a bigger deal than a bit of wear.

NCC 02-14-2023 10:03 AM

I didn't think blueing was a thing in 1902. I'd like to see a photo of it.

catnthehat 02-14-2023 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 4609979)
I didn't think blueing was a thing in 1902. I'd like to see a photo of it.

Sure was!:)
My 1906 Winchester Highwall had great original bluing on it.
Cat

fordtruckin 02-14-2023 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4609974)
Keep in mind these are auction prices, but quite a few lever guns just sold at the Rosehill Auction last week.

You can see sold prices and photos here: Link

I doubt you'll get that at a private sale, and the crack in the stock is a bit of a bigger deal than a bit of wear.

Cant imagine it would be very hard to get a replacement stock. Sure not original but gets it back functional.

338wea 02-15-2023 08:48 AM

Not for sale

leeelmer 02-15-2023 09:02 AM

One thing we don't know is if the OP is even considering selling this gun.
Sometimes one just wants to know its value. He might want to put insurance on it, he might have to give a value to the estate, as the other beneficiary's agreed he was willed it, but it could affect the other dispersments.
He could just have no clue how much it is worth, and doesn't want to abuse a gun that could be potentially worth alot of money.
So lets not jump to conclusions that he is looking to sell it.
Now OP pictures make a huge difference. Condition Condition Condition. Also the 1894 was made in a huge amount of different options, and in a more uncommon option list the rifle is worth more. In a common build then not nearly as much.
Has it been refinished? Is the bore good? Original sights? Screws mangled?
All these things make a huge difference in pricing.
Now its intrinsic value might be huge to you and your family, but you cannot add that to the actual value of the rifle.
One of these can go from $300 for a parts gun, to over 2k for the right rifle in fantastic shape, I have even seen a few very nice uncommon examples sell for over 4K USD when they are in close to new original condition.
And one or two that sold for around 8k USD that were factory case hardened deluxe models in unreal original shape. Though that is extremely uncommon for a 1894. On a 1886 rifle you see that more often when it is a extremely nice piece in a uncommon caliber or factory build.

walking buffalo 02-15-2023 10:32 AM

Leeelmer, the OP clearly states that he is researching value to help determine if he wants to sell it.

I can't imagine selling my Grandpa's rifle.
Or replacing the stock or polishing up the steel.
The rifle with the scars are family history.
It is Perfect as it is.

I know that if I ever did sell it, I would deeply regret it later.

huntinstuff 02-15-2023 01:03 PM

Yeah, cant see the sense in trading a rifle like that for money

If you have a rifle, you can get all the money you want with it.....😉