Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Map Card for Helix (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=333004)

Bhflyfisher 11-08-2017 10:34 AM

Map Card for Helix

Hey everyone,

Wondering what most guys are running for maps on the humminbird helix G1s. I just got the 5 and it doesn't have auto chart, making my own maps would be sweet but wont be possible for the time. Looking at lakemaster by humminbird seems as though there's no coverage at all for Canada so thats out. In the past of experienced navionics to be slightly off, and for 150$ seems like a bit of a gouge for info that isn't necessarily accurate some times.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

fish99 11-08-2017 06:09 PM

the navtonics card is not accurate at all for deeps , humps are in different places, shore line is close thou .

SamSteele 11-08-2017 08:01 PM

Use your autochart with a zero lines card. I have the Navionics Platium Canada card as well and it is next to useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deschambault 11-08-2017 08:04 PM

To the best of my knowledge, Navionics is the only card with any coverage at all in Western Canada. The previous contributor was right, basically useful for shorelines. If you want to see what I mean, look at a lake like Koocanusa or Osyoos which cross the border. You get a couple of contour lines North and fairly detailed mapping South. Autochart or Insight Genesis are absolutely the way to go.

SamSteele 11-09-2017 05:58 AM

Just to follow up on my previous comments, I have old bathymetric paper maps that were done by the government back in the 70s-80s with a handline. They look identical to the maps on the Navionics chip for Canada. I suspect all they did was upload those exact maps, which are completely inaccurate. The shorelines and depths do not match and they don’t show many smaller lakes.

I would save your money and use it for gas to autochart your own maps.

dodgeboy1979 11-09-2017 09:02 AM

Navionics will work the best for you, if you get the + package you can go online and upload updates as people download them. ****ty that your 5 doesnt have autochart it's the best thing for accurate mapping.

Bhflyfisher 11-09-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 (Post 3663469)
Navionics will work the best for you, if you get the + package you can go online and upload updates as people download them. ****ty that your 5 doesnt have autochart it's the best thing for accurate mapping.

Yup i was leaning towards this. May just hold off on buying a map card until a new helix is affordable or they update the gen1s to have autochart. But not holding my breath.

SamSteele 11-09-2017 11:13 AM

Shoot. Didn’t notice that you had the 5.