Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rod down the hole (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=126096)

BeeGuy 03-19-2012 12:00 AM

Rod down the hole

So, got out this morning to the whitefish spot dropped down my first rig and set about to setting up the 2nd.

Not 5 minutes later a 15lb laker grabs my first rig and takes it down the hole, but not without me dropping to a knee doing my best impression of a slide into home plate and getting a wet arm in the process.

Once the water cleared the rod was nowhere to be found.

Have you ever lost a rod or tip-up down the hole?

Fish-killer 03-19-2012 12:02 AM

I highly doubt it was a 15lb laker!

Pikecrazed 03-19-2012 12:03 AM

I've lost countless fish that got off half way up the hole but that's it and at bonavista I saw about four rods go down this year

ice 03-19-2012 12:05 AM

Never lost a rod or tipup but I have lost a cell phone down the hole

ogre 03-19-2012 12:46 AM

Not yet. Knock on wood :scared0018:

Cal 03-19-2012 06:40 AM

Never lost a rod but back in the days when Coal lake still produced some huge fish I did do a pretty impressive 50 yard dash through the shallows, couldnt quite catch my rod so I made a hail mary dive for it at the last possible second and got ahold of it, lost the fish though and he seemed like a pretty good one. As a fishing addicted kid living under the poverty line with parents who would have been pretty happy to see me give it up there was no way I was letting that rod get away!!

Lefty-Canuck 03-19-2012 07:35 AM

I lost a jaw spreader once.....not a good idea to mess with the fish right next to the hole.....was pulling a hook that the fish took deep and in one flip it was a perfect swish nothing but hole.....

LC

isoseeker 03-19-2012 07:39 AM

I've personally lost a Bluetooth headset & a transducer stop down the hole. But Bee, it may have been a vicious 15lb Bass that took your rod & reel ;).

Alberta Bigbore 03-19-2012 07:43 AM

Cell phone, camera, pliers, hooks that were not tied on, and a really nice knife.

JohnnyD 03-19-2012 07:47 AM

In December 2010 I dropped my cell phone down the hole at Pigeon Lake in 15' of water. All I could see was the small mirror on the back where the camera is. I went back the next day and drilled 4 holes close together knocking all the ice out in between. Using a large casting spoon I lowered it down the hole and luckily snagged the rubber case the phone was in. I completely disassembled the phone and dryed it out, she works great and I still have it to this day.

Geezle 03-19-2012 07:52 AM

Haven't lost a rod down the hole yet, but I've had a couple close calls and had to go shoulder deep to save one last season.

I've seen plenty of other people's stuff go down though...which is why I always bring along a big magnet to retrieve dropped items now :)

winger7mm 03-19-2012 07:57 AM

Me Iv lost 3 rods in my fishing career, and they were ALL this season :( due to that it changed the way I ice fish

Willowtrail 03-19-2012 08:27 AM

Lost a nice knife down the hole. Had it sitting on my lap. Stoid up and swish. Gone. Went back the next day with a magnet but the bottom was too mucky so no dice.

This season I had the cheap red rod holder go down. 12' of dirty water. Dropped down my magnet and got it out.

Also lost my auger bit this season on my eskimo shark. The allen bolt either snapped or came unscrewed. Drilled hole and went to pull up and gone. We tried to fish it out of 17' but then my camera sprung a leek and seized.

I now have a new 10" bit and marcum replaced my camera for free so it turned out ok.

gprime27 03-19-2012 08:38 AM

QUOTE=winger7mm;1352645]Me Iv lost 3 rods in my fishing career, and they were ALL this season :( due to that it changed the way I ice fish[/QUOTE]

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcastic lol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

I watched most of them go down to! :D

FishingFrenzy 03-19-2012 08:55 AM

I lost an axe and my favorite pair of pliers this ice season.. :(

fish gunner 03-19-2012 08:57 AM

a few very close calls with rods. at least 2 red wire rod holders, both recovered with camera assistance. untold amount of bells, including my favorite this year which I had owned for 8 yrs . one buddy lost a scoop. a spring tip off a rod after it some how got the line half hitched when I was jigging a good sized pike. lost fish and spring tip. my first year of ice fishing I hooked a good pike that snapped me off with my best float on the line. 2 hours later a guy a hundred yards away started hootn and yelling. we wander over, jokingly I said if it has a such and such float may I have it back. his expression was priceless as my float slid on to the ice. lol.

beerhonky 03-19-2012 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was out fishing last weekend and caught a ice fishing rod on my tip up. The flag went and I ran to the tip up. Noticed about 20 feet of line was off my spool so I set the hook but no fish. Felt a little heavy as I was pulling it up and to my amazement there was a ice fishing rod and reel on the end of my hook!

thorne 03-19-2012 09:21 AM

Last year my daughter put her rod down for 2 minutes to sip her hot chocolate and when she turned around her rod was gone....absolutely no sign of it on the camera any where...I must have drilled 20 holes in a radius looking and nothing. So what ever it was was big and moving fast..

bobalong 03-19-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 1352633)
Cell phone, camera, pliers, hooks that were not tied on, and a really nice knife.

Your going to have to take those strings off your mitts and tie them to your year LOL

Chris84 03-19-2012 10:06 AM

My brother in law lost his rod down the hole acouple years ago. To our amazement about 3 hours later we caught a fish out of the same hole, as we pulled up the line we brought up the fish followed by some line followed by the rod he lost hours earlier.

Mike_W 03-19-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezle (Post 1352640)
Haven't lost a rod down the hole yet, but I've had a couple close calls and had to go shoulder deep to save one last season.

X2...it was a epic dive, splash, grab.

Once while halibut fishing in 300 FOW I caught some line one end had a mudraker attached to it $15 score the other end had a Shimano TLD ($220) attached to a Diawa VIP rod ($120) and probably $40 in tuff line. No clue how long it was down there but couldnt have been too long..Brought it home stripped down the reel cleaned it up nice and re lubed now its my favorite bottom fishing set up!!!

bushwackerdon 03-19-2012 11:02 AM

lost a lens out of my glasses in pigeon lake 2 years ago.

crownb 03-19-2012 11:05 AM

chip lake

We were fishing at chip lake last thursday for burbot,got the first hole drilled set dowm my line in about a foot of water and immediately felt some kind of weight.I pulled up the line and I had caught an ice fishing rod with braided line and a jig attached with a barb.I wonder if the fish and feathers would have ticketed me if the were there.:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy 03-19-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crownb (Post 1352867)
We were fishing at chip lake last thursday for burbot,got the first hole drilled set dowm my line in about a foot of water and immediately felt some kind of weight.I pulled up the line and I had caught an ice fishing rod with braided line and a jig attached with a barb.I wonder if the fish and feathers would have ticketed me if the were there.:sHa_shakeshout:

In the spring I collect a lot of gear from the shorelines of the reservoirs around Calgary and westward.

Without fail, hooks are barbed at least 4/5 times.

This also goes for flies (not mine) I remove from the faces of large trout in the Bow.

dodger 03-19-2012 12:57 PM

Last year on PCR I was there on a very cold morning. F&G showed up so I told him to come in the tent to get warm as he had to walk aways to get to me.

So after checking my license and some small talk we turned around to check my two poles. Just then the one pole shot down the hole like a bullet. I looked at him and said " you will never know now what I was using on that rod ". He almost wet himself laughing.

Dodger.

coyotezh 03-19-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezle (Post 1352640)

I've seen plenty of other people's stuff go down though...which is why I always bring along a big magnet to retrieve dropped items now :)

Can your magnet fish the rod out of the hole? I just lost one yesterday. I love that one so much..it is a shimano reel so costed me 109 bucks. I really want to get it back.....

bwackwabbit 03-19-2012 01:02 PM

Both this season, spiral rod holder and Aqua Vu rubber camera cable holder.

chubbdarter 03-19-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 1352543)
So, got out this morning to the whitefish spot dropped down my first rig and set about to setting up the 2nd.

Not 5 minutes later a 15lb laker grabs my first rig and takes it down the hole, but not without me dropping to a knee doing my best impression of a slide into home plate and getting a wet arm in the process.

Once the water cleared the rod was nowhere to be found.

Have you ever lost a rod or tip-up down the hole?

I had a reverse experience. I pulled up a 15lb 2 oz laker with a Dora the Explorer rod and reel attached to it

Sooner 03-19-2012 01:22 PM

I have seen some of my friends rods go down the hole. Funny how nothing bites for an hour until you put down your rod and go grab a sandwhich. Most rods were gone, a couple were grabbed just as they were going in. My uncle has quite a knack for dropping his metal ice scoop down the hole. Have fished it back up for him a few times over the years.

BeeGuy 03-19-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbdarter (Post 1353051)
I had a reverse experience. I pulled up a 15lb 2 oz laker with a Dora the Explorer rod and reel attached to it

Can I have my rod back?