Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mares leg and Ranch hand (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=115451)

Bullseye 12-23-2011 09:47 AM

Mares leg and Ranch hand

Just yesterday two neat little henry boxes arrived at the shop in which i work. We dove in to find two Henry mares legs in .22lr. i hated them at first but after a little dinkin around they quickly grew on me! my big awesome pint was the discovery that one can easily do "the rifleman" reload. i have no use for the .22lr but The .45lc versions are on their way but ive caught wind they will be around $900.:thinking-006: This turned my attention to the rossi ranch hand in 357. so my question is: has anyone had experience with rossi lever actions ie: smoothness, reliability, in comparison to a henry? (i know full well the henry will be the best haha i just need to know if its worth the money or i'd be happy with the rossi for half the price. thanks Bullseye.:fighting0021:

grizanderson 04-02-2013 04:46 PM

they are both great reliable guns

Lefty-Canuck 04-02-2013 04:54 PM

Henry is smoother and prettier.....the Rossi if for you if you are going to use it...pack it, get it dirty and scratched......I have a Rossi in 44mag. I have also done quite a few mods to get mine to be shootable so to speak.

Do some reading here and on the interweb about the sights that come with the Rossi and be prepared to swap them out....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=Rossi+mods

LC

Matt L. 04-02-2013 05:01 PM

Can you get a regular lever instead of the big loop one for the Rossi? That's about the only thing holding me back from doing a project like yours Lefty. (Well, that and cash, but that's minor :lol:)

Battle Rat 04-02-2013 05:42 PM

I took the dremel to the rear sight if my Rossi and have it shooting where it should.

Battle Rat 04-02-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt L. (Post 1913680)
Can you get a regular lever instead of the big loop one for the Rossi? That's about the only thing holding me back from doing a project like yours Lefty. (Well, that and cash, but that's minor :lol:)

I've enlarged a lever before so you should be able to make a large loop smaller.

wasteland.soldier 04-02-2013 05:48 PM

I was looking at the Rossi in 44 mag. Decided I can't justify the purchase though. I'll save it for after I graduate. Good looking rifle though. Seems very versatile. A hot and heavy 44 mag at 75 yards could take pretty much anything you needed it to except Grizz, and you could use a really light 44 special for small game. And it would take everything in between. Plus it's small enough to fit in a leg holster.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BtJygyTPzL...egFullView.jpg

Seems to me like the perfect backcountry gun. Almost as versatile as a 12 gauge shotgun, in a smaller package.

Only thing I wonder though... in all the American videos of experienced shooters using them, they shoot it one handed like a pistol. I wonder how hard it would be to have a slip on buttpad or something to give enough length of pull for a traditional rifle shooting style.

Lefty-Canuck 04-02-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier (Post 1913733)

Only thing I wonder though... in all the American videos of experienced shooters using them, they shoot it one handed like a pistol. I wonder how hard it would be to have a slip on buttpad or something to give enough length of pull for a traditional rifle shooting style.

Read my link above to see....that's what I did with mine.

LC

wasteland.soldier 04-02-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 1913752)
Read my link above to see....that's what I did with mine.

LC

Oh, thanks for pointing out the link. I'd missed it.

Looks fantastic. Perfectly stretches the versatility of the rifle. Forgive me for not being much of a gun smith, but as I understand the post, you can reasonably easily switch stocks in the field? That would be perfect. While on the move, the extended stock could be strapped to my pack, with the gun strapped to my leg for unplanned shooting. Then when I needed to do some planned shooting, I could change stocks.

Next best thing to living in a country where they let you defend yourself with a revolver while in the middle of nowhere and no threat to anybody on two legs.

Lefty-Canuck 04-02-2013 07:01 PM

One screw and pop off one stock put on the other....1-2 minute job.

LC

wasteland.soldier 04-02-2013 07:07 PM

Wow that's awesome. Thanks for the info!

shooter55 04-02-2013 07:38 PM

Have the rossi in 45 colt....awesome litte rifle for the money; fun to shoot and it is well made....add one of Coho's holsters from the forum and you are set!
Calgary Shooting Centre had great $ deals

Coho911 04-02-2013 09:17 PM

The Shooting Edge had them on sale for easter from $599 normally - down to $519 !!!!. was Friday/ Saturday only. I was in today and they are back to the $599.

They have one of each caliber in.