Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Knife sharpening (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337387)

snubber 01-16-2018 10:22 AM

Knife sharpening

Hey there everyone. I got the million dollar question for you all. What's is the best Knife sharpener out there that people use especially on fillet knifes.

tirebob 01-16-2018 10:32 AM

There really is no "best"... Really, most will do exactly the same job if you take the time to learn to use them properly. For the most part I sharpen almost every edge tool, knives included, freehand on ceramic water stones and diamond plates and my edges are shaving sharp. If I chip and edge and have to reform a bevel completely, then I go to the belt grinder but once established I go back to freehand...

A lot will come down to how much money you are comfortable spending. Some systems work great but cost thousands. Some are mediocre and cheap but they still provide a very usable edge. Just depends.

Au revoir, Gopher 01-16-2018 10:34 AM

I have a series of DMT bench stones. You can sharpen everything from a spade to a straight razor. I have a jig to set the angle for chisels and plane irons and I freehand my knives.

You can tell when I have been sharpening my knives because I develop this strange condition where I lose all the hair on my left forearm :sHa_sarcasticlol:

ARG

st99 01-16-2018 10:37 AM

- ceramic sharpening steel for honing as I'm working

- japanese water stone for sharpening after work 1000/6000

kingrat 01-16-2018 10:41 AM

Work sharp are good, They're a belt type. I had a cabelas sportsman electric one that was ok while it lasted.

RigPig 01-16-2018 10:43 AM

Ken onion work sharp.
The best.

ChickakooKookoo 01-16-2018 10:58 AM

Speedy sharp from Cantire for out in the field. Best $15 I ever spent.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sp...-0578006p.html

Oops, looks like the price went up to $20.

wildbill 01-16-2018 10:59 AM

Edge pro, stones.

Red Bullets 01-16-2018 11:25 AM

For a finished edge on filleting knives. Works great. And you don't know it but you already own the sharpener. This is what I use for my knives.

Go to your cupboard and get a good ceramic cup. The bottom of the cup typically is not glazed like the cup and is a raw ceramic. The bottom of the cup is just as good as any ceramic sharpener. Running your filleting knife blade over the cup bottom a few times is great for touching up a finished edge while working. Ideally, blade edges should be sharpened at a 17 to 20 degree angle.

Boatbuilder 01-16-2018 11:26 AM

Tsprof

Tsprof has worked best for me

bobalong 01-16-2018 11:30 AM

Another vote for the work sharp, sharpens all kinds of blades. Angles are set which result in a very sharp edge and easy to do. I believe (myself anyway) a lot of people who have trouble sharpening is because of holding the knife, axe etc at the wrong angle or inconsistent angles.

Coiloil37 01-16-2018 11:36 AM

It's no trouble to gauge the sharpening experience or knife steel used from a guys sharpener choice.

The best for a sharpening challenged guy would be a edge pro or wicked edge system. Neither are cheap but work very well without destroying your knife.

If your willing to put in a little effort to learn how to sharpen a knife a good set of stones is all a guy needs. I also use dmt stones, there was a time I used water stones but they won't cut the knife steels that I use and ended up being sold. I don't shave my face with my knives so a 3x8" dmt with a 325/600 grit edge is all I use now. I prefer the 600 grit edge for a working edge and have no interest in taking it to a mirror polish.

If your using a junk knife and don't mind destroying it, any of the belt sander, carbide sharpeners work good enough for the average guy.

Jeron Kahyar 01-16-2018 12:22 PM

Bottom line is the best one is the one you know how to use well.

Almost any flat abrasive surface will give an adequate finish to use. You can even get quite good results with a bit of water, a piece of plate glass and some wet/dry sandpaper. Myself I use some oil stones to put an edge on then a ceramic stick to toich it up as needed.

bobtodrick 01-16-2018 12:27 PM

These work amazingly well https://www.cabelas.ca/product/63694...ield-sharpener

JD848 01-16-2018 12:32 PM

I use the work sharp with the belts,when your 6000 belt gets worn down I bought a tube flitz or auto sol car or metal polish and add just wee dab on the belt and it goes up to around 7000 and you don't have get rid of your belts as long as you keep adding a bit of polish.I use the 220 belt and then 6000 then there sharp. At night when I guide I do my four knives in 6 minutes and I am good for couple hundred fish no problem.There may be better out there,but I need my knives done fast and easy and hold a good edge.

If you go hard on your 220 belt you can cause damage to your knife,so as little as needed then the 6000 which will not harm your blade.Once my angle is made with 220 I just touch it up with the 6000 belt more or less just fine tuning that edge.

sns2 01-16-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RigPig (Post 3710357)
Ken onion work sharp.
The best.

I absolutely suck with a stone, so for me this ^^^ is the best. Idiot proof.

pikergolf 01-16-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Ken onion work sharp.
The best.

If you understand sharpening it's a good system. If you don't, you can ruin a blade pretty quickly.

CaberTosser 01-16-2018 01:06 PM

I have a worksharp Ken Onion model and like it a lot, though it does have a weak point in that it will round over the knife tip. They also come with abrasive belts that were not particularly effective on better knife steels such as S30V or two other types that I have. I located some silicon carbide belts from an online vendor and solved that issue.

I would eventually like a system similar to the Wicked Edge or whatever the name of the Russian one is that Wranglerstar tested on his YouTube channel

Coiloil37 01-16-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 3710435)
If you understand sharpening it's a good system. If you don't, you can ruin a blade pretty quickly.

Your right about the overheating but your ignoring the fact they remove to much stock. There's no way I would consider using one on a good knife.

pikergolf 01-16-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coiloil37 (Post 3710440)
Your right about the overheating but your ignoring the fact they remove to much stock. There's no way I would consider using one on a good knife.

I didn't say anything about overheating, removing to much stock is more a danger than overheating. Someone that understands sharpening can get an edge in a matter of seconds using this tool. But they need to understand sharpening.

double gun 01-16-2018 01:59 PM

Wicked edge - but stupid expensive.

JWCalgary 01-16-2018 02:10 PM

Japanese water stones with different grits.

I find this method gets me into a zen like state :)

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Scott N 01-16-2018 02:11 PM

I'm not really familiar with everything that's on the market these days, but my old Lansky sharpening system has served me well over the years.

bobalong 01-16-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD848 (Post 3710418)
I use the work sharp with the belts,when your 6000 belt gets worn down I bought a tube flitz or auto sol car or metal polish and add just wee dab on the belt and it goes up to around 7000 and you don't have get rid of your belts as long as you keep adding a bit of polish.I use the 220 belt and then 6000 then there sharp. At night when I guide I do my four knives in 6 minutes and I am good for couple hundred fish no problem.There may be better out there,but I need my knives done fast and easy and hold a good edge.

If you go hard on your 220 belt you can cause damage to your knife,so as little as needed then the 6000 which will not harm your blade.Once my angle is made with 220 I just touch it up with the 6000 belt more or less just fine tuning that edge.

Exactly if you only have a few knives and don't mind taking forever to sharpen them, then stones/water/oil are fine. When you have about 30 knives kitchen and family hunting/fishing knives combined the work sharp style is the only way to go.

StiksnStrings 01-16-2018 02:26 PM

Check out the double bevel Broadhead Pro from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. As the name implies originally designed for broadheads, it's the size of a lighter, it puts a sticky sharp edge on any knife I've used it on and it's ceramic coated so you can use as a hone.

Joe Quiroga 01-16-2018 02:54 PM

For my filet knife I just use one of these, only 10 bucks on Amazon.

Works surprisingly well.

https://store.citymade.com/media/cat...ener-black.jpg

Coiloil37 01-16-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobalong (Post 3710484)
Exactly if you only have a few knives and don't mind taking forever to sharpen them, then stones/water/oil are fine. When you have about 30 knives kitchen and family hunting/fishing knives combined the work sharp style is the only way to go.

If you buy a good stone and learn how to use it a guy can sharpen a knife in two or three minutes. I'm talking knives made of good steel, s110v, m390, s90v, cts-204p, m4 etc. not your standard crap 420/440 stainless or a carbon steel that can be cut with most any stone.

CNP 01-16-2018 03:55 PM

Accusharp

229 reviews on Amazon.ca. $15. I sucked at sharpening knives my whole life using stones, ceramics, diamonds, bla, bla, bla.

I will never buy anything else other than accusharp for kitchen knives, skinning knives, filet knives, boning knives. They get a knife scary sharp in a dozen strokes.

ETOWNCANUCK 01-16-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Ken onion work sharp.
The best.

Times two or 3.
Just got one for Christmas.
I love it.

RigPig 01-16-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coiloil37 (Post 3710440)

Very much disagree. If you take a little time and read the manual, watch some YouTube you will be able to sharpen any knife razor sharp.
I am a collector of fine knives and have never ruined any of my knives or took to much stock off. Even high end custom knives are made on a belt sander, so they can't be that bad.