Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   coyote crawl under (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339605)

parfleche 02-18-2018 07:27 PM

coyote crawl under

This should generate a bit of a discussion ! Does anyone know for sure how a coyote crawls under a fence?
Feet first?
head first?
head and feet together ?

spoiledsaskhunter 02-18-2018 08:24 PM

does it somehow matter?

parfleche 02-18-2018 08:59 PM

Yes it does matter ! IF you want to catch coyotes! its a simple enough question .

Daslogster 02-18-2018 10:50 PM

Crawl under

I snare quite a few fencelines and if you have ever seen Marty's snaring videos, he snares craw unders as well and they go through nose first but slower, smaller loops set a touch high is what i use. Ifnyou watch calling videos on youtube, you can see coyotes going under fences and getting belly on the ground low to get under wire. I have a great crawl under good for a half dozen yotes a year that is barely 6.5" high.

tikka250 02-19-2018 12:59 PM

From the coyotes I have seen while calling I would say that they put their feet in line with the bottom wire and go head first. That also lines up with the few catches I have had on fencelines this year.

parfleche 02-19-2018 02:16 PM

Thanks , I have trapped quite a few in under fence crawls and sometime you get them by the both front feet! Although it is a no brained to set a snare under a fence you can never tell what may happen . So I avoid this set as much as possible!

H380 02-19-2018 06:50 PM

My fenceline experience with snaring has not been good
. I can catch em but the ensuing hide damage makes it a losing proposition.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

goose slayer10 02-19-2018 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had good luck with fence sets this year, I think it’s important that the bottom wire be high enough that the loop can have some clearance from the ground, I have been fortunate enough to not notice any fur damage, I think however rams would be ideal for fence sets.

antlercarver 02-19-2018 08:46 PM

Coyotes feet or head first?

Watch a dog go under a fence, coyotes are just a wild dog.

Reddog 02-20-2018 06:14 AM

I too avoid crawl under stuff. Too many variables and too much out of your control. I look on both sides of the crawl under for the spot on the inevitable trail that often exists.

PCP_ECOM 02-20-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goose slayer10 (Post 3735414)
I have had good luck with fence sets this year, I think it’s important that the bottom wire be high enough that the loop can have some clearance from the ground, I have been fortunate enough to not notice any fur damage, I think however rams would be ideal for fence sets.

Ilift the bottom strand up and secure to next wire with a piece of regular tie wire gives you the extra clearance underneath,tried Rams, wouldn't use those trails anymore once I put them in,hung upside down,caught them in other trails with free hangers better,with the new magnum springs offered by Marty they go down fast IMO

TrapperMike 02-20-2018 09:30 PM

I use the wire truck as well. Only I wire the bottom strand to a higher strand so the can’t jump through the gap made if the two lower strands are wired together. I’ve had no problems with using rams. Best result happened when I set 23 rams along a stretch of fence and the next day I had 18 coyotes. Works best if long grass or bush on fence line. Sometimes I’ll put a weed or small bush in the ram to breakup it’s outline.

parfleche 02-21-2018 01:12 AM

Mike is that the year you caught those 820 coyotes?

TrapperMike 02-21-2018 08:34 PM

Yes