Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Magpies (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=183137)

Erik 06-26-2013 08:34 PM

Magpies

I have a resident Magpie that tells me every morning at about 5 AM how he would like to be forcibly removed from the neighborhood or suffer a tragic fatality. How can I help him hasten his wish without contravening any bylaws or other legalities?

Blastoff 06-26-2013 08:35 PM

Pellet gun at 4:50 am

deanmc 06-26-2013 08:38 PM

Magpie trap. Followed by a little carbon monoxide.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3496

Pincherguy 06-26-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanmc (Post 2019876)
Magpie trap. Followed by a little carbon monoxide.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3496

I caught a few with a rat trap, just like a mouse trap on steroids. Little piece of meat on it and bingo.

super7mag 06-26-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pincherguy (Post 2019881)
I caught a few with a rat trap, just like a mouse trap on steroids. Little piece of meat on it and bingo.

Yep , you'll get one or two but they learn quick. Don't worry the hatchlings will be out soon. Lol.
God I love living in the country . My acreage is the DMZ for crows and pies.

DAVENYK66 06-26-2013 09:47 PM

just had this discussion at Wednesday wing night

Taco 06-26-2013 09:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol80Cat1dXM

Truck Norris 06-26-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

I got one this way but used peanut butter instead. Totally worth the $5 !

DAVENYK66 06-26-2013 10:06 PM

we have a pellet gun, 5 bucks for a pack of pellets
dam things fly away when they see the gun though

pikergolf 06-26-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco (Post 2019976)

First place my head went, liked his earlier version much better though. Had a Spaniel that hated magpies, every time that song started with the magpie cawing she'd snap to attention.

KegRiver 06-26-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Oh! I like that one. I'll have to try it!!

I have always used leg hold traps or firearms but the traps can injure dogs and cats and the firearms disturb the neighbours, (songbirds.)

Those rat traps should take care of all my concerns.
I wish I had though of that.

leeaspell 06-26-2013 11:06 PM

I like magpies. They eat my dogs crap off the lawn. They may be annoying, but it saves me poopin scoopin so I leave them alone lol

brownbomber 06-26-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVENYK66 (Post 2020010)
we have a pellet gun, 5 bucks for a pack of pellets
dam things fly away when they see the gun though

Pop the screen out of your window and pop pop pop

pikergolf 06-26-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeaspell (Post 2020125)
I like magpies. They eat my dogs crap off the lawn. They may be annoying, but it saves me poopin scoopin so I leave them alone lol

That alone would be worth put up with the noise.

Gorram 06-26-2013 11:15 PM

Drop one, the rest WILL get the message.

The mourning is a bit loud day one though...

Wanted 06-27-2013 04:22 AM

Depending on your bylaws, stop one, then wait a bit. Magpies will come have a funeral for their buddy. When they land... The fun continues... :fighting0021:

Kim473 06-27-2013 06:04 AM

Soon Edmonton will be the Magpie capital of North America. LOL I hate those vermon. Protected in the city. LMAO. Had the chance yesterday to get three of them, but no pellet gun around. Has to be 30 of them around my hood.

6.5swedeforelk 06-27-2013 06:41 AM

An egg glued (silicone) to a foothold trap pan.
Set to hair trigger- careful, finger from UNDER the jaw.
Set it out, but hide it a bit, let the buggers think that they've found another ducks' nest!
Local cats etc ignore it.

6.5swedeforelk 06-27-2013 06:54 AM

For shotgunning... take that dead magpie out to the edge of a bluff & tie to a 25yd twine, toss over a branch. Walk in to your "blind" and let things cool down for a while. Then by yanking the line you've got that bird jumping 6ft in the air. They can't seem to ignore it !
Try setting this up with a friend, then have him leave. Lets see if magpies can count.

Erik 06-27-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeaspell (Post 2020125)

Wow, you have very generous magpies. Mine chase other birds, taunt my dogs and then poop on my lawn. I have no doggie scooping magpie. They are right behind the squirrels in terms of Beagle annoyance. Hounds! :rolleye2:

slough shark 06-27-2013 09:33 AM

Surprised Tree hasn't chimed in yet with his elaborate trapping mechanisms and suggestions... That was GOLD!

elkhunter11 06-28-2013 06:26 PM

Magpie traps work great.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/22207305...1-The-Municipa

a little redneck 06-28-2013 07:30 PM

I caught 10 in 2 days. I then relocated them 50 km away... made it much quieter last summer. Don't leave them in the trap too long because they will figure out how to get out. Also let the first one that enters the trap stay in there for a while, others will be attracted and enter the trap.

I mounted the trap on a piece of osb that was 40" x 40"... then lifted it and the trap in my truck and hauled them away.

mudbug 06-28-2013 09:08 PM

Lola always took care of them for me ;) Release your hounds after them :sHa_shakeshout:

6.5swedeforelk 06-28-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a little redneck (Post 2022319)
I caught 10 in 2 days. I then relocated them 50 km away... made it much quieter last summer. Don't leave them in the trap too long because they will figure out how to get out. Also let the first one that enters the trap stay in there for a while, others will be attracted and enter the trap.

I mounted the trap on a piece of osb that was 40" x 40"... then lifted it and the trap in my truck and hauled them away.

They got back home before you!

magpie " Thanks for the ride, and the education, dummy!"

Red Bullets 06-28-2013 11:21 PM

There has been mention of gopher traps with ripe meat attached to the pan. If you are worried about cats and dogs..... I used to hang the gopher traps by the chain from branches on trees. They would dangle and sway in the wind and alot of mornings I would have a magpie either by the head or neck. Instant kills. Never caught anything but magpies. I probably caught 60 magpies this way thru the years.

Erik 06-29-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug (Post 2022407)
Release your hounds after them :sHa_shakeshout:

Such is the problem. Hounds howl at magpies. Neighbours complain. Eventually some white truck comes to take my hounds away then I am just left with magpies...or so my fear goes. Plus, I've yet to find a magpie that feels the need to relocate permanently just because of a dog.

mudbug 06-29-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 2023021)
Such is the problem. Hounds howl at magpies. Neighbours complain. Eventually some white truck comes to take my hounds away then I am just left with magpies...or so my fear goes. Plus, I've yet to find a magpie that feels the need to relocate permanently just because of a dog.

Feed the hounds Redbull and the magpies won't stand a chance ;)
On a serious note though build a magpie trap and get them that way and then take care of them after they're inside the trap. They are easy to make from what I've seen and are quite effective :)

mooseburger 06-30-2013 05:20 AM

I cut a hot dog up in tiny pieces and then laced it with every hot sauce, cayenne pepper and haberno I could get my hands on and left it under a bush
two days later I was watching all his magpie buddies attending his funeral.:budo:

CaberTosser 06-30-2013 08:23 AM

There's some good Magpie threads on AO already. Treeguy had some great posts on the topic. I had good results from a magpie trap similar to TreeGuys, and will loan it to Calgary area AO members who have a truck to pick it up. Its a cylinder made of wire mesh with a top, and it has an entrance that's a tapered cone. They follow sparsely placed bait into the more heavily baited trap ( old fries and burger chunks highlighted by fast food wrappers worked well for me). Once they crouch down in the entrance tunnel and stand up again, they can't figure out how to crouch to exit. Its some visual cue thing I guess. Anyways, I had 6-7 in my trap, and then sent them on permanent holiday with the garbage man.

My second method (obviously done in a place where pellet guns are legal to use ;) ) is to set a bait station visible from inside the with a good safe shooting line from a window you can remove the bug screen from. Usually this results in one shooting at a downward angle so stray shots would go into the lawn mere feet behind the offending bird. My bait station had a double layer of plywood behind it for added safety. I rationalized that the bait must be little and something they can't simply fly off with to keep a 'captive audience', so I used cat food.

Between these two techniques I restored peace to myself and our neighbors.

PM me for borrowing "Chateau Magpie"