Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tahr hunt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=292746)

Anotherkiwi 07-02-2016 08:19 PM

Tahr hunt

Two friends and I hunted tahr two years ago. Heres the video my friend made of the hunt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvWD-lsxss

codeman 07-02-2016 10:01 PM

Nice video, one day I'll make it to New Zealand. Beautiful animals.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

JTRED 07-02-2016 10:36 PM

Excellent video, since all my hunting is in the mountains of southern British Columbia that is definitely the kind of hunting that gets me excited. Tahr hunting in New Zealand is one of my dream hunts, I'd rather head there than Africa personally. Plus I don't think it'd be too difficult talking my wife into going to New Zealand, she did a teacher in training/wrote her dissertation on teaching in New Zealand back in her early twenties and loved the country. Was the hut you stayed in private or was it a backcountry hut anyone could use? Do you do much backpack hunting there?

300magman 07-02-2016 10:54 PM

Great video!

The moose 07-02-2016 11:01 PM

I really liked all the content you posted today. This being the best

Anotherkiwi 07-03-2016 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTRED (Post 3268831)
Excellent video, since all my hunting is in the mountains of southern British Columbia that is definitely the kind of hunting that gets me excited. Tahr hunting in New Zealand is one of my dream hunts, I'd rather head there than Africa personally. Plus I don't think it'd be too difficult talking my wife into going to New Zealand, she did a teacher in training/wrote her dissertation on teaching in New Zealand back in her early twenties and loved the country. Was the hut you stayed in private or was it a backcountry hut anyone could use? Do you do much backpack hunting there?

Thanks for your comments. The hut was public and anyone can use, there are hundreds of similar huts on public land that are available to all - usually for a small fee. Yes I do a lot of backpack hunting, both in tents and huts. Most of my hunts I walk in with a pack but a few times a year take a helicopter to get to remote areas. For example to walk to the tahr rut location would take about 20+hrs of hard walking to get to.

shakeyleg02 07-03-2016 06:53 AM

Awesome vid guys thanx for sharing your adventure

H380 07-03-2016 08:43 AM

you do know that you are driving on the wrong side of the road I hope .. lol . Great video and congrats on a real trophy , thanx for posting and keep the films coming . :)

meandmyboy 07-03-2016 07:14 PM

Someday!!

Awesome video guys. Thanks for sharing

LIR 07-04-2016 08:53 AM

Nice hunt...
How far did you shoot from?
How did this old Tahr taste ?

Anotherkiwi 07-04-2016 01:02 PM

It was my friend who shot the tahr, not sure of the yards but it was a reasonable distance. Tahr meat is good to eat, but old tahr is not as good as young tahr!

Roughneck Country 07-04-2016 02:37 PM

awesome video!

sillyak 07-04-2016 04:53 PM

Great video! Beautiful scenery that reminded me of why I love to be in the mountains. I worked with a couple Kiwis and the sayings and vocabulary in that video reminded me of some good times with those friends.

A combo Tahr/Chamois hunt is on my list and it is surprisingly affordable. The only thing that would ruin it for me is seeing guys scouting/hunting out of helicopters. Don't know how much pressure there is down there. I'm definitely more of a backpack guy.

Anotherkiwi 07-04-2016 05:17 PM

Hi sillyak, the choppers can be a pain and do ruin the odd hunt. But I wouldnt let them put you off. The animals usually reappear after the chopper flys away. The tahr have adapted to choppers and now the Bulls hide in the bush more. Yes the cost is cheap - no tags or permits etc