Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Reporting Poachers Found on Social Media (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=293490)

Bemoredog 07-12-2016 03:28 PM

Reporting Poachers Found on Social Media

Does anyone know if F&W takes these reports seriously? For example, if I see pretty clear evidence of poaching on a social media site/app, and I forward pictures, links, etc. of this to F&W will they be able to do anything? Or do they need to catch poachers red handed either with the fish or in the act?

TROLLER 07-12-2016 03:29 PM

I believe they will indeed take it seriously and investigate.

pinelakeperch 07-12-2016 04:25 PM

Whether or not you believe they'll do something about it, I think it's your duty to bring it to their attention. I call whenever I witness any offence.

neilsledder 07-12-2016 06:05 PM

I think they will look into it for sure! Guys are getting tickets/charged for posting them selves on quads going through creeks and stuff. No different just different laws broke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear Ballz 07-12-2016 07:02 PM

They do trust me, years back there was an article in AO on the very subject. I reported a bunch of dicks on Facebook for poaching walleye and they were busted.

EZM 07-12-2016 09:00 PM

If you think about it - there really is no better evidence other than video or pictures.

If poachers are stupid enough to post it on facebook (or in some other form of social media) they should be punished for breaking the law.

Bemoredog 07-12-2016 09:43 PM

I reported it and sent an email to their general inbox (couldn't find any other appropriate email--if you know of one please tell me).

I captured the social media postings just in case they're deleted, but I doubt they will be. They're still there as of this post. I would share a link with the forum but I think for now it's best not to provide any further details.

CanuckShooter 07-12-2016 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemoredog (Post 3276876)
I reported it and sent an email to their general inbox (couldn't find any other appropriate email--if you know of one please tell me).

I captured the social media postings just in case they're deleted, but I doubt they will be. They're still there as of this post. I would share a link with the forum but I think for now it's best not to provide any further details.

So.....what did they do? Too many fish? or what??

PerchBuster 07-13-2016 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemoredog (Post 3276876)

Good on ya! Thanks for being a good steward of our resources and fisheries! Poachers are just the same as thieves in my opinion. Stealing from our resources, stealing from the honest fisherman who gives a damn, and stealing from their own kids future outdoor interests. If they are truly guilty of an offence it is my sincere hope they face appropriate justice.

jonkemper 07-13-2016 07:31 PM

you can also directly message them on their facebook page, they replied to me on there once when i reported someone.

Birchcraft 07-15-2016 10:41 AM

Unless there are clear landmarks to place them at a certain location it would be extremely difficult to determine where they were committing the alleged offences so it is possible that they could have been in a different jurisdiction where the they may actually be following the local laws.