Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   open carry petition (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=202919)

Redfrog 12-21-2013 02:11 PM

open carry petition

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ta-canada.html

GREENGUN 12-21-2013 02:16 PM

Good luck! That will never pass. Even with a Harper government. I like shooting and hunting as much as the next guy, but day to day I feel safe already. People openly carrying (even the law abiding, background checked and PAL certified) will not make me feel any more or less safe. The government will say "Why fix whats not broken"

Redfrog 12-21-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREENGUN (Post 2248406)
Good luck! That will never pass. Even with a Harper government. I like shooting and hunting as much as the next guy, but day to day I feel safe already. People openly carrying (even the law abiding, background checked and PAL certified) will not make me feel any more or less safe. The government will say "Why fix whats not broken"

Brilliant! You don't like it so it shouldn't be allowed.

So if someone wanted to open carry while hunting, where would he start to get the law changed?:thinking-006:

It's ok to carry a fiream capable of killing several hundred yards away, but gun owners are too stupid and irresponsible to carry a handgun?:thinking-006:

catnthehat 12-21-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREENGUN (Post 2248406)

I think it has more to do with wanting to carry and hunt with a hand gun that to "feel safe"
I could care less about the safe part, I want to hunt with them!:)
Cat

FarNorthy 12-21-2013 02:29 PM

Redfrog I'm not arguing with you as I do agree that being able to openly carry while hunting is logical. However that petition doesn't mention even once the word hunting. As it is currently worded I think there is a better chance of a snowball in hell that it will change anything.

Ryry4 12-21-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarNorthy (Post 2248430)
Redfrog I'm not arguing with you as I do agree that being able to openly carry while hunting is logical. However that petition doesn't mention even once the word hunting. As it is currently worded I think there is a better chance of a snowball in hell that it will change anything.

What we need is more people to stand up and say they want the law changed, and believe it can be changed. If we feel defeated before we start nothing will ever change.

fish gunner 12-21-2013 02:38 PM

The entire premise of the petition is "for protection". Im all for open carry ,no guile, im carrying. However im beliver in the swiss model. Earn the right to carry in public.

Redfrog 12-21-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Of course if someone is that committed to making something happen, then of course it will fail. why even read it nevermind support it.

I have never entered into any negotiations asking for the least I would settle for and trying to work my way up.

We should actually be lobbying for Concealed arry and settle for open carry while hunting
The gun laws are political and do nothing for public safety.

wags 12-21-2013 02:54 PM

Canada - .5 murders per 100,000 population. 2.38 deaths (accidental, suicide included) per 100,000 population.

United States - 3.6 murders per 100,000 population. 10.3 deaths (accidental, suicide included) per 100,000 population.

Both stats are for guns. What is it we are wanting to protect ourselves from?

Vingiu 12-21-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 2248428)
I want to hunt with them!:)
Cat

x2! Hunting hogs or yotes with a scoped handgun looks like an absolute hoot. Heck, even varmints with a .22 would be great. Where's the petition for that? :)

Redfrog 12-21-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags (Post 2248455)
Canada - .5 murders per 100,000 population. 2.38 deaths (accidental, suicide included) per 100,000 population.

United States - 3.6 murders per 100,000 population. 10.3 deaths (accidental, suicide included) per 100,000 population.

Protection? that's what we have police and judges for. BTW any stats on how many murders the cops prevented. How many victims they saved from getting shot? How many were sot by cops? Any stats on how many chrimes were stopped or prevented by VICTIMS who were armed?

A couple of cut up potatoes in a bowl is not a stew. Give us the whole recipe.

fish gunner 12-21-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags (Post 2248455)

Americans lol.

wags 12-21-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2248460)
Protection? that's what we have police and judges for. BTW any stats on how many murders the cops prevented. How many victims they saved from getting shot? How many were sot by cops? Any stats on how many chrimes were stopped or prevented by VICTIMS who were armed?

Nope, just these ones. Just wasn't sure what we were seeking protection from was all.

1899b 12-21-2013 03:03 PM

Stats aside, I wanna shoot does with an Uzi. I'm all in....

wags 12-21-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 2248461)
Americans lol.

Apparently :)

fish gunner 12-21-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2248460)

A couple of cut up potatoes in a bowl is not a stew. Give us the whole recipe.

Our police have guns wouldn't that equal out that similarity. Ah no because the us has a fire arm for every citzen . 3x as lightly to die of a gunshot just because one lives in that country. Come on . Our system sure looks better on paper.

Redfrog 12-21-2013 03:06 PM

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/sa...66423490_n.jpg

fish gunner 12-21-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2248470)

Big differance between owning a car and driving .

wags 12-21-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 2248467)
Stats aside, I wanna shoot does with an Uzi. I'm all in....

That's some honesty I can certainly respect.

GREENGUN 12-21-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

During hunting I could understand. But either way it won't happen. As per the American model, we clearly have better safety figures and it is, at least to some degree, because of the rules we have in place. Protection from people? I think there would be a lot of vigilantes and more problems.

As for the being able to kill with a rifle from really far. How many thugs are getting out and practising their shot? How will they get to the best vantage point and account for variables? With a hundgun they just conceal it and walk up - BOOM - and run. The bad guys are already carrying them and we don;t know. And now everyone around that just witnessed the situation pulls out (they're now legal as per the hypothetical) their gun and starts firing as well. More innocents hurt, more choas... the list goes on.

GREENGUN 12-21-2013 03:15 PM

:party0052:

Vingiu 12-21-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 2248469)
Our police have guns wouldn't that equal out that similarity. Ah no because the us has a fire arm for every citzen . 3x as lightly to die of a gunshot just because one lives in that country. Come on . Our system sure looks better on paper.

x2… I don't envy the Americans at all

Make it harder to get a PAL in this country, then I might support an open carry petition

KevGuy 12-21-2013 03:19 PM

I'm going to be honest. I don't want open or concealed carry in Canada.

What makes more sense and what I want is wilderness carry. I wanna be able to take my handgun out in the bush.

Pikes"R"us 12-21-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vingiu (Post 2248480)
x2… I don't envy the Americans at all

Make it harder to get a PAL in this country, then I might support an open carry petition

x3

x2

wolf308 12-21-2013 03:24 PM

Signed.......i want to be able to pack on my waist hunting and or varminting/plinking at the farm

BeeGuy 12-21-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf308 (Post 2248490)
Signed.......i want to be able to pack on my waist hunting and or varminting/plinking at the farm

Wow, how big are the varmints on your farm?

bearbait 12-21-2013 03:30 PM

Look at oilfield signs. All shot to crap. If we cant be safe with long arms how or why would they let us use hand guns?
Id love to see it happen but we don't stand a chance.
JMO
Rob

Vingiu 12-21-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 2248493)
Wow, how big are the varmints on your farm?

Who says he's not planning on packing a .22? :confused:

Austin 12-21-2013 03:31 PM

Hunting with a .45LColt / .410 same barrelled handgun would be fun. I also hear what RFrog is saying by starting "high" with the petition and settle for carry during hunting.

Ryry4 12-21-2013 03:32 PM

Oh man, some of you guys make me shake my head. No one has a problem with people carrying a gun during hunting season but God forbid you carry a pistol on your hip.

I've lived in Canada and the US and let me tell you, an armed society is a polite society. The people down here have more respect for each other than in Canada. As I type this I've got a Springfield XDM on my hip. Do I carry because I'm scared? No, I carry because I can, and I'll protect myself, my family and my property at any cost. I'm the same person armed or unarmed in Canada or the US. Violence against people has little to do with guns and more to do with people not respecting each other.