Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SS ruger needs cleaning bad! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=160196)

michaelmicallef 12-17-2012 07:23 PM

SS ruger needs cleaning bad!

My buddy and I where out target shooting this past weekend. He's got a 7mm stainless Ruger. Has grouping was not that good at all. 4 inches a 100 yards at best. When I asked him when he cleaned it last he said, wait for it..."NEVER" The gun is, i'm guessing 10 to 12 years old. probably not a lot of shots put down the pipe. 100 to 200 rnds max. Anyways, does the fact that this gun sat for all these year call for some sort of super scrub down. I was going to let the barrel soak overnight with some hoppes #9 or shooters choice. Then use the bronze brush and run the patches through it and see how it goes. Any other suggestions.
I would love to buy this gun of him but he keeps thinking he might one day go hunting. The other thing is could there be permanent damage by letting it sit so long with out being cleaned. Thanks.

bulletman 12-17-2012 07:33 PM

Wipeout

It sounds like a good time to try a can of WIPEOUT! We tried it on my 20 YEAR OLD WEATHERBY MK V last year. Big blue blotches, 3 times before it was clean! Keep in mind this rifle was cleaned by Hoppes on a regular basis!

roger 12-17-2012 07:40 PM

does this one have marks on it wear other guys have been touching it with a 10ft pole!

id buy a new one and leave this one alone.

if you want to help him out, id promote Wipeout first, then copious brushing, (bronze or nylon...Thats a debate within itself).
use a coated rod (not 3 peice aluminum), a bore guide, and cotton patches.

elkhunter11 12-17-2012 08:07 PM

Hoppes is pretty much useless for removing copper fouling, I would try Sweets 7.62 or Barnes CR-10 to remove the copper.

t-hunt-3 12-17-2012 08:14 PM

Try wipeout or knockout, I find that these 2 are the better ones I've used

michaelmicallef 12-17-2012 09:24 PM

Are these the products that foam in the barrel. And if that is the case do I need to plug chamber end of the barrel? Not that that's a problem wondering. I'm sure the barrel is fine but I'm also sure that fouling will be stubborn to get out after years of sitting there. How much does the stuff (wipeout)usually cost?

huntinstuff 12-17-2012 09:29 PM

About $22 per can

michaelmicallef 12-17-2012 09:53 PM

Just texted my buddy so he's asked me to pick him up a can off wipe out. We'll give it a try. I' ll have to teach home how to properly clean a rifle. Thanks for your help guys. I'm kind of curious to see what the heck comes out this barrel.

whitetailhntr 12-17-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelmicallef (Post 1756162)
Just texted my buddy so he's asked me to pick him up a can off wipe out. We'll give it a try. I' ll have to teach home how to properly clean a rifle. Thanks for your help guys. I'm kind of curious to see what the heck comes out this barrel.

They Carry wipeout at Alberta Tactical Rifle in ne Calgary. Pretty easy stuff to use and works very well. No brushing required. Just foam , wait and patch it out, Repeat the process till satisfied.

michaelmicallef 12-17-2012 10:01 PM

Great I'll probably be working around their tomorrow. I always forget about that place. Thanks

Ishpah 12-17-2012 10:09 PM

If you can find this stuff, purchase it instead of the others.
I had to go directly to NOVUM which meant I had to have State Department clearance.
To the non-believers, clean you rifle several times with your favourite bore clean. Then run Blue Wonder down the bore and see the crud it lifts.

Ishpah 12-17-2012 10:10 PM

If you can find this stuff, purchase it instead of the others.
I had to go directly to NOVUM which meant I had to have State Department clearance.
http://www.bluewonder.us/
To the non-believers, clean you rifle several times with your favourite bore clean. Then run Blue Wonder down the bore and see the crud it lifts.

michaelmicallef 12-18-2012 06:57 AM

Hey it's not my gun. I'll pick up a can of wipeout because my friend is in Brooks but that's as far as I am willing to go. Thanks for the info thou.

Au revoir, Gopher 12-18-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelmicallef (Post 1756162)

When I was cleaning my new-to-me Swedish Mauser it took about 12 go-rounds to get the bore clean. Since I actually had other things to do it took a week to complete the cleaning.

ARG

michaelmicallef 12-18-2012 03:26 PM

Got some "wipe out" we'll see how it works. I hate to see such a nice rifle being neglected.