Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Winchester Collector Value (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=20846)

Rusty P. Bucket 10-08-2008 03:57 AM

Winchester Collector Value

A hundred years ago when I was a kid, Winchester was punching out 'fancy grade comemorative rifles' for darn near everything. Do you remember those? A Chief Sitting Bull Rifle in 94 lever gun. Another for the completion of the CP Railroad, one for John Wayne, another for the Klondike Gold Rush, etc. etc. Most of them were the same old outhouse lever rifles that Winchester had made for the last century with some minor enhancements like better grades of wood, some minor embellishment and maybe some engraved scrollwork. Soon Winchester had made so many comemorative rifles that most lost their value. (There is probably even a Rusty P. Bucket Comemorative Winchester Model 94!). They were all chambered in 30-30 for the most part and were just warmed over 94's.

Some of these rifles ARE worth money though, and truly retain some valid collector interest. I understand that the RCMP comemorative rifle might be worth money and possibly a few others.

My boss is hunting with a Canadian Centennial rifle that has an octagonal barrel, the crescent buttplate and a few other touches. Can any of you fellas remember whether or not this was one of the truly 'collectable' rifles?

I wonder if he should be shooting it and abusing it like an ordinary hunting rifle...:confused:

catnthehat 10-08-2008 05:42 AM

If he has even taken it out of the box, he should keep hunting with it!
I was never fond of the commeneratives, just because.....
Cat

Bobby B. 10-08-2008 08:38 AM

Hey Rusty,

I didn't know your wife hunted, and a thutty thutty to boot.

Bobby B.

honda450 10-08-2008 08:51 AM

Never heard of that one Rusty. I have a Alberta Diamond Jubiulee in 38-55 and a box of matching ammo. Never fired still in the box. My father bought it for me so I will never sell it, pass it on to my son I guess, with all my other rifles that were passed on to me from my grandfather and father. The RCMP ones came out in 2 versions, one for anyone and one for active officers and retired members. The latter is double the price.

raised by wolves 10-08-2008 09:00 AM

Winchester turned out so many "commemorative" rifles over the years. Not all are really valuable items unless they are important to the owner. Most were intended to fetch Winchester an increased by flogging them as special runs or the ever distracting "Collector's Edition".

John Spartan 10-08-2008 09:01 AM

Most of the Winchester commemoratives fetch $500-550 NIB, but there are some that will fetch more - eg. John Wayne commemorative.

On the Canadian 1967 Centennial commemorative, it came in two versions - 20 inch barreled carbine of which some 9000 or so were made and the 26 inch barreled rifle of which 90 thousand were made.

Current pricing for either is $500-550 NIB with reduced price if fired, any wear, etc.

bobinthesky 10-08-2008 09:55 AM

If a Centennial rifle has been fired, it's not worth any more than any run of the mill 30-30. 90,301 of these were made in rifle and carbine versions and sold very well in Canada. By comparison, 19,999 Legendary Frontiersmen rifles in 38-55 were built and it seems like you can find them quite easily and buy them for $450.00 if they are in fired, but primo condition.
The reason that RCMP 94's can be collectable is because only 9500 were produced for the general public and another 5100 were produced to be sold only to RCMP members. The two are easily distinguished by the serial numbers. The ones made for sale to the public have RCMP in front of the serial number and the ones for sale to members only had just MP in front of the serial number. Get yourself an unfired MP marked rifle and you may have yourself something, one of 90 thousand fired and banged up Centennials, naw!

huntinstuff 10-09-2008 07:50 AM

I have them all.

The Cdn centennial NIB is worth $600 tops. In used condition, it is no greater value than a regular 94.

The John Wayne series are of value. New in the box they start at $1100 and increase as to the condition of the packing and sleeve condition.

Some of the 44-40 calibre commem's, if they are unfired, are $150-200 more than a 30-30. The .22 calibre commem's are worth about 20% more than the others in 30-30.

The only ones of real value are those in the original packing boxes unfired. They include:

The John Wayne and Duke series
Alberta and Sask Diamond Jubilee series
Calgary Stampede (serial numbers under 100) with oak display case
Annie Oakley
RCMP "MP" series

The rest, as mentioned in a previous post, are shooters. $550 is a good price for new in box for the others. Fired, they become valueless to collectors, thus prices are much less than $550.

Using US prices to figure these out is like putting an elevator in an outhouse.......Prices listed in my post are Cdn.

Sheepcrazyguy 10-20-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 194965)
I have them all.

The Cdn centennial NIB is worth $600 tops. In used condition, it is no greater value than a regular 94.

The John Wayne series are of value. New in the box they start at $1100 and increase as to the condition of the packing and sleeve condition.

Some of the 44-40 calibre commem's, if they are unfired, are $150-200 more than a 30-30. The .22 calibre commem's are worth about 20% more than the others in 30-30.

The only ones of real value are those in the original packing boxes unfired. They include:

The John Wayne and Duke series

Alberta and Sask Diamond Jubilee series
Calgary Stampede (serial numbers under 100) with oak display case
Annie Oakley
RCMP "MP" series

The rest, as mentioned in a previous post, are shooters. $550 is a good price for new in box for the others. Fired, they become valueless to collectors, thus prices are much less than $550.

Using US prices to figure these out is like putting an elevator in an outhouse.......Prices listed in my post are Cdn.

Hey,Huntinstuff are you interested in selling any of those?

huntinstuff 10-20-2008 01:47 PM

I had duplicates and some triplicates but I sold many of them over the past 3 yrs. I may be one of only a few fellas that has them all so I wouldnt be selling any of them. I do have 3 John Waynes but the boys will want those someday. Sorry mate. Thanks for the offer tho.:wave:

twofifty 11-21-2008 09:30 PM

fired a Centennial today - wow !

Friend let me shoot some rounds from his octagonal-barreled "Centennial" 94 today.

His dad bought it NIB (nice old box with certificate still there), and fired less than a box through it (two like-new boxes of Dominion 170gr still at hand, priced at less than $5/box) then cleaned/oiled it and put it away.

I'd say this rifle is now at 98% condition. The barrel is pristine, the blueing flawless, the wood has one little dent. We pushed a few patches through it, wiped oil on the mechanism, purchased 2 boxes new Win 170grPP, and off to the range where this little beauty came through with flying colours.

First off, the iron sights shot 1" high at 100yds, and gave a decent 5" or so four shot group off the bags. We did not try and improve on this and shot it as is. Sight picture is very easy to acquire.

From a standing position, the rifle repeatedly burst water-filled cardboard juice containers (4" wide, 10" tall) from 50 yds. It rang the 6" 100yd gong from standing. The sights are quite fine, so they don't obliterate the target. That big long octagonal barrel really helped steady the offhand hold, and kept muzzle jump to a minimum. Curved steel buttplate was comfortable.

What amazed me is how light and smooth the trigger is. Lots of travel to take up at first, then it firms up nicely before releasing with a bit more effort. Guessing a 5# trigger pull that does not shift the rifle away from the point of aim.

Saturday am, tomorrow, my friend is taking his 94 WT hunting in a small mountain clearing. I can already taste the venison !

Sheepcrazyguy 11-24-2008 02:53 PM

Anyone interested in selling any of these comemoratives?In the 500 dollar range?