Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cleveland Indians Chief Whoo logo targeted in Canadian lawsuit (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=304963)

HalfBreed 10-17-2016 06:57 PM

So sad.

ETOWNCANUCK 10-17-2016 06:58 PM

deletion

HalfBreed 10-17-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360844)
Of course, but aboriginal people get to decide how to be proud. Rich white guys dont get that privilege.

You have every right to pride.

catnthehat 10-17-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360830)
Not at all messed up. When you've been the target of racism and cultural genocide and the people using your name as a team mascot to make millions of dollars are the very same people who have tried to kill you for hundreds of years?

Yeah, I get why they're sensitive about it.

I am direct Scots descent , I don't get all out of shape when I names like the Clansmen and the English fought with us and destroyed our families for longer than they did the the North American Natives .
However , that is besides the point, people will use every angle they can to get their way .
Cat

Mikeham 10-17-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3360870)
I am direct Scots descent , I don't get all out of shape when I names like the Clansmen and the English fought with us and destroyed our families for longer than they did the the North American Natives .
However , that is besides the point, people will use every angle they can to get their way .
Cat

I'm happy that you don't feel ill will toward the English, but that doesn't mean that you get to decide when someone else is permitted to feel offended or stereotyped.

chasingtail 10-17-2016 07:41 PM

The average Indian isn't even offended by these names or logo's. Think it's something made up by white liberals that try to make Indians believe they should be offended by it. I have worked on and around reserves unlike white liberal elites who would never hang around Indians or poor white folk for that matter. Lots of these so called offended Indians are wearing the Indians, Redskins, Blackhawks etc.. ball caps, usually with the straight brim more often then any of the other teams. Just another stupid issue to divide and conquer us.

elkhunter11 10-17-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360882)
I'm happy that you don't feel ill will toward the English, but that doesn't mean that you get to decide when someone else is permitted to feel offended or stereotyped.

I have been offended and stereotyped in the past, but I didn't even consider suing anyone as a result. It's completely ridiculous to even think about tying up the court system just because someone feels offended. When it becomes a crime to offend someone, society is doomed.

catnthehat 10-17-2016 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360882)
I'm happy that you don't feel ill will toward the English, but that doesn't mean that you get to decide when someone else is permitted to feel offended or stereotyped.

Well and I didn't in this case either the court did
Cat

bigskinner 10-18-2016 01:17 AM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360844)
Of course, but aboriginal people get to decide how to be proud. Rich white guys dont get that privilege.

Watched the news tonight , its a white guy that's doing the crying , he don't want his team to be asscociated with lndians , so l guess hes the racist here haaaaaa.

Unregistered user 10-18-2016 05:00 AM

That does it, I won't buy a new Jeep Cherokee after all, wouldn't want to offend anyone.

58thecat 10-18-2016 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK (Post 3360697)
How much dumber can the human race get?

Wait for the yanky election to finish...
We tend to swing towards the bleeding hearts of society to comfort all...I want my medal cuz I showed up etc
The pendulum no longer slightly adjust it swings to full extremes in all cases no balance at all with society...

58thecat 10-18-2016 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360882)
I'm happy that you don't feel ill will toward the English, but that doesn't mean that you get to decide when someone else is permitted to feel offended or stereotyped.

No what is being said is some just get offended over everything even the truth in some matters...suck it up and move on is all I can say to all who get caught up in societies drama...people use to watch this crap on tv called soaps, talk about it at work now they are actual living characters:snapoutofit:

super7mag 10-18-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360882)
I'm happy that you don't feel ill will toward the English, but that doesn't mean that you get to decide when someone else is permitted to feel offended or stereotyped.

Exactly, I'm white and I wear sox , getting ready to file a human rights complaint against Chicago..
Oh wait a minute I actually have better things to do then sit around feeling sorry for my self.

Dewey Cox 10-18-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360830)
Not at all messed up. When you've been the target of racism and cultural genocide and the people using your name as a team mascot to make millions of dollars are the very same people who have tried to kill you for hundreds of years?

Yeah, I get why they're sensitive about it.

The owners of Cleveland's baseball team have been trying to kill indians for hundreds of years?
That's just bad for business.

catnthehat 10-18-2016 07:53 AM

I think a lot of it comes down to just how many people get offended over a name
You would not see a professional team With a name like the Metroplotitan Nazis
That would create a huge outcry !
Of course as well you would not want to name a team the "B's" instead of the "A's":thinking-006:
Cat

Mb-MBR 10-18-2016 07:56 AM

Hope the Indians collect some scalps after they slaughter the Blue jays.......I can say that right:thinking-006:

catnthehat 10-18-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mb-MBR (Post 3361225)
Hope the Indians collect some scalps after they slaughter the Blue jays.......I can say that right:thinking-006:

There is s problem with that - the blue Jays are too fast and fly too far for the Indians to catch them!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

gitrdun 10-18-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3360764)
Strange how the majority just don't care or are even proud of their team names yet some go crazy and wave the race card .
I can remember a ver proud ( and excellent )native Lacrosse club that called themselves the Warriors and they were from a reserve !:confused:
Remember the big todo about the Savage Arms logo?
Cat

I was going to mention the Savage logo scenario from just a couple of years ago, but you beat me to it. There is a coulee about a mile from my place. It's been known as "Squaw Coulee" forever. But now, the politicaly correct crowd had it renamed "Old woman coulee". Yeah right!, to us locals it's "Squaw coulee" and so it will remain, like it or not. :thinking-006:

gitrdun 10-18-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 3361161)
That does it, I won't buy a new Jeep Cherokee after all, wouldn't want to offend anyone.

I learned to drive in a Chevy Apache pick me up truck.

sourdough doug 10-18-2016 08:14 AM

And when will this all end ???
How soon will it be when someone wants the color ..BLACK.. renamed becuz it offends them and the color RED, YELLOW, BROWN... and what the hell....
why not WHITE, while we are on topic..
Time for some to get a life or is it just another cheque they want

Unregistered user 10-18-2016 08:37 AM

Ray Kroc named his burger empire McDonald's to get across the idea that it's cheap like a Scot. Beware the ladies from hell. Nah they're not a bunch of snibblers.

kevinhits 10-18-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gitrdun (Post 3361242)
I was going to mention the Savage logo scenario from just a couple of years ago, but you beat me to it. There is a coulee about a mile from my place. It's been known as "Squaw Coulee" forever. But now, the politicaly correct crowd had it renamed "Old woman coulee". Yeah right!, to us locals it's "Squaw coulee" and so it will remain, like it or not. :thinking-006:

I see since they reconstructed the dam there, they closed access off to fish....

elkdump 10-18-2016 09:03 AM

Am I still allowed to catch Squaw Fish ? :thinking-006:

elkhunter11 10-18-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3361222)
I think a lot of it comes down to just how many people get offended over a name
You would not see a professional team With a name like the Metroplotitan Nazis
That would create a huge outcry !
Of course as well you would not want to name a team the "B's" instead of the "A's":thinking-006:
Cat

A motorcycle racing team called Erion racing had people upset that heard the name during race coverage, because they thought the team was called Aryan racing. The idiots that complained, never even bothered to look up the team name spelling before they started complaining.

lmtada 10-18-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkdump (Post 3361286)
Am I still allowed to catch Squaw Fish ? :thinking-006:

"Hey whitey, where you katchen fish, don't tell anybody ". Eh!! :sHa_shakeshout:

elkdump 10-18-2016 09:11 AM

Cleveland Browns ! I am appalled !

Just thought of a football team participating in sports while wearing dirty underwear shocks me ,,,

I am calling my lawyer ! Something has to be done ! :argue2:

HoytCRX32 10-18-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3360844)
Of course, but aboriginal people get to decide how to be proud. Rich white guys dont get that privilege.

Ah, the "Rich White Guy" card. Surprised it took so long to come out.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry ad nauseum

fitzy 10-18-2016 09:38 AM

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/...-and-the-name/

If you want to know how the Indians got their name. Nothing for anyone to be proud of.
A group of sportswriters picked it because it made for great banter and easy word play. Loosely modeled after the Braves.

They aren't named after the first Indian player that's just a story...kind of. I get why it it offends some people.
What I don't understand is why it bothers some of you guys so much? It's just a name after all.

Weedy1 10-18-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasingtail (Post 3360906)
The average Indian isn't even offended by these names or logo's. Think it's something made up by white liberals that try to make Indians believe they should be offended by it. I have worked on and around reserves unlike white liberal elites who would never hang around Indians or poor white folk for that matter. Lots of these so called offended Indians are wearing the Indians, Redskins, Blackhawks etc.. ball caps, usually with the straight brim more often then any of the other teams. Just another stupid issue to divide and conquer us.

Think it's something made up by white lawyers......

The Cook 10-18-2016 10:03 AM

If you want to get to the Spray Valley from Canmore you go through White Man's Pass, which passes between EEOR ( East End Of Rundle ) mountain and Chinaman's Peak (Politically changed to Ha Ling Peak) Most of the old timers still call it Chinaman's Peak. Always wanted to make some t-shirts that said " Ha Ling Peak, Named After A Chinaman", no disrespect intended. Hope the dead people aren't offended with Dead Man's Flats just east of town.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.