Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cleveland Indians Chief Whoo logo targeted in Canadian lawsuit (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=304963)

HoytCRX32 10-18-2016 10:55 AM

I'm Ukrainian
Somehow I survived the '70's (and the hundreds of Ukrainian jokes) without trauma.....orrrrr did I? :thinking-006:

fitzy 10-18-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 (Post 3361385)
I'm Ukrainian
Somehow I survived the '70's (and the hundreds of Ukrainian jokes) without trauma.....orrrrr did I? :thinking-006:

And yet there's no hockey teams called the Vegreville Bohunks. Just cause you're OK with it doesn't mean an entire culture has to be.

I'm not sure anybody can make the argument that Chief Wahoo isn't racist.

Twisted Canuck 10-18-2016 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringer (Post 3360773)
The politically correct manifesto

"Whoever is declared the biggest victim gets to be the biggest bully "

I like that, it would make a great signature line. I'd appropriate it, but then you would have cause to be offended, and we wouldn't want that. :)

happy honker 10-18-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzy (Post 3361407)
And yet there's no hockey teams called the Vegreville Bohunks. Just cause you're OK with it doesn't mean an entire culture has to be.

Wahoo Mcdaniel was one of my favourite WWA wrestlers back when I was a kid.

Wrestling....now there's where some stereotypes come out to play.

Was Iron Sheik really made of Iron?
Was Big Bad Bobby Duncan really a cowboy?

They should pull every copy of Slapshot off the shelves unless they re edit the movie to not call the team the 'Chiefs".

happy honker 10-18-2016 11:31 AM

Also...my son plays lacrosse for a team called the Warriors.
Their logo is an "indian head" with crossed spears. A "Warrior".
The kids love their name because it makes them feel bada**.
I think that is more respectful than demeaning or exploiting.

dmcbride 10-18-2016 11:34 AM

If we took every single thing that some person was offended with and banned it we would have nothing left. Where do we draw the line?

HoytCRX32 10-18-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzy (Post 3361407)

You're right...go ahead and feel perpetually offended

fitzy 10-18-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 (Post 3361438)
You're right...go ahead and feel perpetually offended

Oh no I'm not offended at all. It takes quite a bit to offend me. I'm open minded though and can understand why people would be upset about it.
Really the only thing that offends me are those who refuse to open their mind or look at things from anothers perspective.

catnthehat 10-18-2016 12:20 PM

I remember about 15 or 20 years ago a newspaper writer did an article up here about how offensive the term"Newfy" was and how it made them look like uneducated and unintelligent people .
I asked my partner at work about it and he said point blank
"Lard Thunderin' ! Ya shoulda seen de mess when de ol' girl saw dat Yahoo down at de Newfy club and climbed aboarda him- danged Towny anyhow":sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

HoytCRX32 10-18-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzy (Post 3361453)
Oh no I'm not offended at all. It takes quite a bit to offend me. I'm open minded though and can understand why people would be upset about it.
Really the only thing that offends me are those who refuse to open their mind or look at things from anothers perspective.

If you can tell whose minds are open or not you are a much better man (or woman) than I. What about those that do look at things from another perspective but do not agree with said perspective?

It is amazing (to me) that some people can scream from the highest tower about rights and freedoms and society's abuses, yet quickly become judge, jury and executioner should somebody disagree with their viewpoint, quickly labeling such a person "close-minded", "racist", "bigot", "denier" etc.

The hypocrisy would be laughable if it weren't so widespread

HoytCRX32 10-18-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3361470)
I remember about 15 or 20 years ago a newspaper writer did an article up here about how offensive the term"Newfy" was and how it made them look like uneducated and unintelligent people .
I asked my partner at work about it and he said point blank
"Lard Thunderin' ! Ya shoulda seen de mess when de ol' girl saw dat Yahoo down at de Newfy club and climbed aboarda him- danged Towny anyhow":sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Indeed:)

catnthehat 10-18-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 (Post 3361475)
Indeed:)

That writer had to be the only person I have ever met who was ashamed to be called a Newfy!:thinking-006:
The Quote BTW is directly from my friend who I have the highest respect for, has served our Country as an artillery soldier and is book educated as well. As a ticked tradesman!:)
Cat

HoytCRX32 10-18-2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3361479)
That writer had to be the only person I have ever met who was ashamed to be called a Newfy!:thinking-006:
Cat

I had (have) the honor and pleasure of being an "Honorary Newfie"...all it took was a flat of Moosehead and some elk jerky.

fitzy 10-18-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 (Post 3361474)
If you can tell whose minds are open or not you are a much better man (or woman) than I. What about those that do look at things from another perspective but do not agree with said perspective?

It is amazing (to me) that some people can scream from the highest tower about rights and freedoms and society's abuses, yet quickly become judge, jury and executioner should somebody disagree with their viewpoint, quickly labeling such a person "close-minded".

There's a big difference between not agreeing with someone's perspective and being closed minded and refusing to listen to it.

If someone decides it's ridiculous for individuals to be offended by Chief Wahoo or the name Indians and doesn't look into the name or put any thought into it beyond how they feel about it I'm comfortable labeling them as closed minded.
I know plenty of natIves who think it's incredibly racist. They think the Redskins is the worst.

I gotta say their opion is the most valid I've heard on the subject.

fitzy 10-18-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 (Post 3361482)
I had (have) the honor and pleasure of being an "Honorary Newfie"...all it took was a flat of Moosehead and some elk jerky.

Lol me too! Mine was a bottle rum, perch for the seafood supper and a promise to try seal flipper....... try to never eat seal flipper. :scared0018:

HoytCRX32 10-18-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzy (Post 3361505)
Lol me too! Mine was a bottle rum, perch for the seafood supper and a promise to try seal flipper....... try to never eat seal flipper. :scared0018:

We are all bruddas from udda muddas
Nice debate...1 week til rifle season in the lower 300's
:sHa_shakeshout:

fitzy 10-18-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 (Post 3361507)
We are all bruddas from udda muddas
Nice debate...1 week til rifle season in the lower 300's
:sHa_shakeshout:

Deer tenderloin. .... so much better than Seal flipper!!

Good luck! We start Nov 1 my oldest is 12 this year so it's a special year for us ..

Opa 10-18-2016 01:14 PM

My kids & myself have been labelled any number of names over the years, all of which referred to our German heritage. Call me what you want, I could really give a rat's patoot, just don't call me late for schnitzel, spaetzle, saurkraut and beer for supper!!!!!:bad_boys_20:

Halfton 10-18-2016 03:11 PM

This whole Indian Logo crap is just more Liberal-Tard stupidity trying to push us all into a absolutely Politically Correct World which the morons are too stupid to realise will never work and that no-one but them wants.

Jim

gitrdun 10-18-2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinhits (Post 3361280)
I see since they reconstructed the dam there, they closed access off to fish....

The north end is just a farmer's panel gate with easy and allowed access. I haven't checked the south end closer to the dam, but I could check it out for you if it helps. It's only 5 minutes from home.

Unregistered user 10-18-2016 04:21 PM

A whiney Canadian is complaining about an American team with a long and storied past. A whiney Canadian was behind the push to get Savage a company with a long and storied past to change their logo. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...pers-1.3186654 Some Canucks, I tells ya!

kevinhits 10-18-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gitrdun (Post 3361717)
The north end is just a farmer's panel gate with easy and allowed access. I haven't checked the south end closer to the dam, but I could check it out for you if it helps. It's only 5 minutes from home.

Thanks....I have been going out there for years and have talked to the guy in charge of the dam a few times. He said the ongoing garbage, empty beer cans and damage has been a huge concern to them and it would only be time before they blocked access to the dam area...They have gated the area off from the road so no access. I checked the North end as well but did not see an access into the resevoir.

I have seen a few trout come out while I was there but only suckers for me:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Redfrog 10-18-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugatika (Post 3360771)
What a bunch of babies. Grow up and get a life

Hey That's offensive. I was a baby once and I've found that growing up is simply a gov't game to get taxes.:angry3:

Okotokian 10-18-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkdump (Post 3361286)
Am I still allowed to catch Squaw Fish ? :thinking-006:

" In 1999, the American Fisheries Society adopted "pikeminnow" as the name it recommends, because Native Americans considered "squawfish" offensive"

And go out and get that jockey off your lawn too. ;)

grouse_hunter 10-18-2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3361759)
" In 1999, the American Fisheries Society adopted "pikeminnow" as the name it recommends, because Native Americans considered "squawfish" offensive"

I though that you were kidding and then I verified the information...

fishunter327 10-18-2016 06:57 PM

So your saying the insurance business in our town called "Gook Insurance" may not be politically correct ?

hunting4? 10-18-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringer (Post 3360674)

Douglas Cardinal is the same ******* that is controlling the redesign/ adding on to the St Mary's church in Red Deer.

He wont approve anything the the church has been stuck for years.

Im surprised the rich sob hasn't said something about all the election promises trudeau broke to Natives.. That might be worth mentioning. This just gets his idiotic name in the press again!

grouse_hunter 10-18-2016 08:17 PM

This thread made me think of the things which offend me. "Beaners" hair cuts for kids is using a racist slur applicable to people of Latin American background as their name! A Mexican co-worker of mine was shocked to see it! Down with Beaners! It's definitely the right time to round up a posse and teach those hair cutting bigots a lesson. I'm kidding of course ;)

HalfBreed 10-18-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grouse_hunter (Post 3361974)
This thread made me think of the things which offend me. "Beaners" hair cuts for kids is using a racist slur applicable to people of Latin American background as their name! A Mexican co-worker of mine was shocked to see it! Down with Beaners! It's definitely the right time to round up a posse and teach those hair cutting bigots a lesson. I'm kidding of course ;)

What is a beaner?

grouse_hunter 10-18-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfBreed (Post 3361977)
What is a beaner?

Racist slur towards people of Latin American background, mainly Mexicans. Supposedly they eat a lot of beans. I'm eating pork and beans in between typing!