Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ticky moose out there? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=13625)

Ticdoc 04-01-2008 05:35 PM

Ticky moose out there?

This is the time of year ghost moose (=ticky moose) begin showing up. Anyone seeing any? Are we going to lose moose this year?

tic doc

Roughneck71 04-01-2008 06:10 PM

moose

around gp here seen 7 moose today no tics, i couldnt see any.. not like last year that was nasty. seeing lots around!!

Donkey Slayer 04-01-2008 06:16 PM

Saw these guys on Friday.

Donkey Slayer 04-01-2008 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more time

Tuc 04-01-2008 06:28 PM

Swamp what neck of the woods did you take the pics. Looks like a few ticks got at these fellers.

big d 04-01-2008 07:03 PM

i am not to sure how to tell if ticks are on a moose or not. i was told that you would see alot of white patches on them but i'm still not to sure of what he meant. does the hair fall out and you see more of the skin or does the hair turn white. can someone clearify this for me.:huh: :huh:

WTHunter 04-01-2008 07:27 PM

Saw this young one on Sunday. He was a bit lazy, laying in the sun but overall looks ok. Not much white on him.http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b.../YoungBull.jpg

gunslinger 04-01-2008 08:09 PM

awsome

that is a awsome photo of that little guy

ABDUKNUT 04-01-2008 09:52 PM

Only saw 1 moose so far with a big bald spot. Seems like there's lots of moose around this year- many mornings and evenings I've seen 10+ during a 60-90 minute drive to or from location.

Ticdoc 04-01-2008 10:03 PM

answers to big d

3 Attachment(s)
"i am not to sure how to tell if ticks are on a moose or not. i was told that you would see alot of white patches on them but i'm still not to sure of what he meant. does the hair fall out and you see more of the skin or does the hair turn white. can someone clearify this for me."

See attached pics. Hair is broken at base caused by moose grooming against the itch of ticks biting them (actually sucking bloods from moose). Hair is greyish at base, hence looks whitish.

So, most damage to hair coat is caused by grooming.....breaking hair, but some hair actually falls out. Thus, heavy damage and loss of haircoat is called a ghost moose.

ticdoc

Jamie 04-01-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTHunter (Post 130931)
Saw this young one on Sunday. He was a bit lazy, laying in the sun but overall looks ok. Not much white on him.http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b.../YoungBull.jpg

NUMMMMY!!!

Don Meredith 04-02-2008 07:02 AM

I was teaching a tracking course last month and on my way to the field trip I saw an adult moose walking along the fence line at Elk Island Park. I slowed down to have a look and it didn't have much fur on him. He was also staggering and didn't look in too good a shape. Then on the course, we followed a set of moose tracks to where the animal had bedded down. The melted snow in the bed contained lots of hair and about 20 well fed ticks. So, there could be some problem at least east of Edmonton..?

honda450 04-02-2008 07:12 AM

Got a young moose in BC one year, got him home hung him in the shed, next morning there were hundreds of dead ticks on the shed floor. Didn't even know he had ticks when we gutted him and loaded him.

manitoban 04-02-2008 07:15 AM

There have been three cases of adult moose starving to death in southern alberta. The last one was near Lethbridge.

This is coming from the Veterenary College in Saskatoon where my sister studies. Apparently the only cause of death on all three cases were starvation.

Has anyone seen exceptionally thin moose in the south?

Copidosoma 04-02-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Meredith (Post 131088)
I was teaching a tracking course last month and on my way to the field trip I saw an adult moose walking along the fence line at Elk Island Park. I slowed down to have a look and it didn't have much fur on him. He was also staggering and didn't look in too good a shape. Then on the course, we followed a set of moose tracks to where the animal had bedded down. The melted snow in the bed contained lots of hair and about 20 well fed ticks. So, there could be some problem at least east of Edmonton..?

I think I saw the same animal. He was in the south section of the park (wood bison side) right in the NW corner. Didn't look great.

chain2 04-02-2008 09:22 AM

TicDoc

Is that you Dr. Bill?

Don Meredith 04-02-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copidosoma (Post 131117)
I think I saw the same animal. He was in the south section of the park (wood bison side) right in the NW corner. Didn't look great.

That was him.

Copidosoma 04-02-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Meredith (Post 131161)
That was him.

The good news is that I haven't seen any others ticked out. Most of the other ones I see through there look great.

Maybe he just got unlucky.

Griswold 04-02-2008 07:23 PM

I have seen 10-12 moose in the Athabasca area in the last 2 weeks.
All showed signs of ticks.