Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sad Find On the Bow Today (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=188795)

Basmach 08-17-2013 06:15 PM

Sad Find On the Bow Today

2 Attachment(s)
I was fishing on the Bow River today by Fish Creek Park (By Lafarge) and was shocked to see this.
Heavy line baited with 2 large barbed hooks baited with smelts submerged and anchored by a big rock. I would have never noticed it if the poor bird wasn't hooked and desperately trying to get loose. I was able to cast my spinner towards the line and bring the bird to shore. To my amazement the bird was calm and did not make any move until I was able to cut the hook and set it free. After destroying the guy's setup I called Fish and Wildlife and showed them the spot and rig the guy was using.

It is sad to see that people will go to such means to catch a fish when they can buy one for $10 that tastes way better.
I'm posting this so those of us who fish that section on the river will keep their eyes for suspicious activities.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES 08-17-2013 06:23 PM

Sickening , some People's kids .

fish gunner 08-17-2013 06:28 PM

Thank you sir for outstanding effort , freeing the snagged bird and following thru by reporting the poacher rigged set line. Cheers to you.

fishtank 08-17-2013 06:36 PM

put a bear trap in that spot, might get lucky @ night when the *****hole go retrieve his fish .

Fishfinder 08-17-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 2081191)
Thank you sir for outstanding effort , freeing the snagged bird and following thru by reporting the poacher rigged set line. Cheers to you.

Big Fat X2!
Hats off, well done.:)

tight line 08-17-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 2081191)

X3.... Sad what some people do. A couple years ago i found something similar onanother river but it had a dead Bull Trout on it...

Lefty-Canuck 08-17-2013 06:52 PM

Nice work!

Someone should set up a trailcam in the area and get pics of the guy when he comes to check his setup.

LC

Adwittoutdoors 08-17-2013 07:06 PM

Great work and hats off to you !! May the fish gods be good to you. Alberta has to get way tougher on these ****heads. Lock them up I say.

north american hunter 08-17-2013 07:10 PM

Some people make me sick, good job!!

schmedlap 08-17-2013 07:26 PM

Unbelievable

It's hard to believe some total a___hole would have the gaul to do that right in the City (?). Thank you for taking it out and reporting it. I wonder if bozo was trying to catch a fish or the bird? My solution though - put a couple of store-boughts on the hooks (Tilapia - someone that ignorant won't know that there are no such in the Bow), after injecting them with a quantity of ....(pick your poison)... and put it back. Not so much, I guess, because bozo may have kids - scary thought if he is bringing them up that way (?). Makes one wonder how much of this sort of thing is going undetected.

fluxcore 08-17-2013 07:41 PM

You have my respect that was a good thing you did the bird has a chance. Its Unfortunate someone broke the rules and it resulted in that. Definitely bugs me.

Basmach 08-17-2013 07:43 PM

Thanks, I was just in the right place at the right time. Although I spent 3 hours without a single bite, saving this bird made my day. I just wish F&W catch this guy in the act.

the local angler 08-17-2013 10:28 PM

good going man on helping the little guy out. myself and a buddy (adam) from lomond did the same thing only this was on travers and a rather huge fiesty pelican. we chased the pelican clean across the lake with the boat and caught it with a huge fishing net. then adam screams at me grab the beak grab the beak as i unarmed and now jousting with the darn thing till i grabbed the beak, removed all the line and sinkers and cut one line close to his throat because he swallowed one of the hooks. we figure we gave it a fighting chance. hope he survived. but this was a snagged and broken off line near the shore not a deliberate set up to poach.

just_dave 08-17-2013 11:05 PM

Nice save!

marlin1 08-17-2013 11:34 PM

good on you for saving the grebe , at least it looks like one? I've also found and dismantled set lines . Luckily there was nothing in the ones we found

Penner 08-18-2013 07:09 AM

Great Job. Hope the CO's can stake out the area and catch the guy.