Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Waterfowl Prarie Camo (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=60674)

vantheman 05-28-2010 01:52 PM

Waterfowl Prarie Camo

What camouflage works best for waterfowl hunting in the prairies? I am having a hard time deciding between "Mossy-Oak Duck Blind" or "Realtree MAX4"...

I am primarily a pheasant hunter, so I also want to be able to blend in where I stand when random flocks of geese fly overhead.

Okotokian 05-28-2010 02:50 PM

I use MAX4. Couple of reasons... I only use one camo outfit for everything and I find the Max4 also goes well in the forest after the leaves come off. Seems to me to have a little more brown in it. I also think you can get more accessories (bags, mitts, boots, even gun camo, etc.) with Max4. Not a lot more, but a bit. That's just my take, but the Mossy Oak stuff looks good to me too. I'd just stay away from the other stuff (don't know the name) that just looks almost totally like yellow straw. I don't think that would be as versatile.

OutwardBound 05-28-2010 03:02 PM

X2 for Max 4, I used to only have one set and it works pretty good in the bush too, great for duck hunting.

Dustin

Benelli1 05-28-2010 03:04 PM

You can't go wrong with either one, they are both great camo for what you are proposing , you might also want to look at "Mossy Oak Brush", which for me, works well for hunting coyotes as well as waterfowl field shooting.

fish_e_o 05-28-2010 03:19 PM

i wear carhart coverall i have a brown pair for summer/fall and a white pair for winter

the dirtier they get the better they work and i've had guys walk right past me and not see me so they work ok too

but if i had to choose between the two the max 4 would be my choice

i've seen a guy in mossy oak bush and i liked that

Roughneck Country 05-28-2010 04:27 PM

I have the mossy oak duck blind and love it. The mossy oak brush looks great as well. I don't use mine in the bush though just for hunting deer

albertadeer 05-28-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vantheman (Post 597081)
What camouflage works best for waterfowl hunting in the prairies? I am having a hard time deciding between "Mossy-Oak Duck Blind" or "Realtree MAX4"...

I am primarily a pheasant hunter, so I also want to be able to blend in where I stand when random flocks of geese fly overhead.

Check out maverick camouflage, the stuff is amazing

pointer 05-28-2010 06:03 PM

max 4 is the way to go i spend 30 to 40 days a fall on the fields and it dosent matter what your wear if the geese can see your face you may as well be wearing blase orange ducks on the other hand arnt so picky

catnthehat 05-28-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_e_o (Post 597126)
i wear carhart coverall i have a brown pair for summer/fall and a white pair for winter

the dirtier they get the better they work and i've had guys walk right past me and not see me so they work ok too

but if i had to choose between the two the max 4 would be my choice

i've seen a guy in mossy oak bush and i liked that

X2!
I love my Carharts!
I also have ASAT, Predator, and some older types, but when I am waterfowl hunting it's Carharts.
But then, when you are in a layout, even a loud Don Cherry suit would work!
:sHa_shakeshout:
When I am hunting upland I use a vest with orange shoulder flashes, however...

Cat

Jadham 05-28-2010 06:10 PM

I like Mossy Oak Brush also as it seems to be a versatile pattern.

Cowtown guy 05-28-2010 10:57 PM

I go more by the general color than the pattern. For standing in cattails on a morning duckshoot, or killing honks in a barley field, a lighter color like shadowgrass is excellent. For the peas and turned fiels I choose the darker colors. Max-4 is a good one for sure. It does have a good mix of darks and some lighter stuff.

Personally I think the color is more important to birds than the pattern. Keep that big white head us Canucks have covered and you're laughing. Oh yah, wearing glasses sucks for birds too.

snow goose 05-29-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertadeer (Post 597185)
Check out maverick camouflage, the stuff is amazing

X-2