Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tobin Lake - September (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=368002)

Lowrance Fishburn 08-15-2019 09:43 AM

Tobin Lake - September

Just curious if anyone has been to Tobin lake in the fall, in particular mid to late September? I have been several times in the spring and have never had an issue with water clarity, curious to see if anyone knows what its like come the third week of September. Some friends and I are planning a fall trip and I would like to be able to show them some of the great fishing i've had there but am uncertain of what the lake will look like at that time in terms of water clarity, water temp, etc. Also curious where would be best to stay at that time of year. we would be hauling our own boats and typically I fish a bit of the river section and a bit of the big lake but staying near Nipawin for example means a super long haul in the boat to the big lake. Any advice or information would be appreciated. Cheers.

cube 08-15-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn (Post 4014709)
Just curious if anyone has been to Tobin lake in the fall, in particular mid to late September? I have been several times in the spring and have never had an issue with water clarity, curious to see if anyone knows what its like come the third week of September. Some friends and I are planning a fall trip and I would like to be able to show them some of the great fishing i've had there but am uncertain of what the lake will look like at that time in terms of water clarity, water temp, etc. Also curious where would be best to stay at that time of year. we would be hauling our own boats and typically I fish a bit of the river section and a bit of the big lake but staying near Nipawin for example means a super long haul in the boat to the big lake. Any advice or information would be appreciated. Cheers.

I was there in early Oct one year and I wound have to say the fishing was very slow. Did manage to get one 12 pound walleye though.

Lowrance Fishburn 08-15-2019 02:13 PM

Thanks Cube.Ya I am sure the fishing will be slower than in the spring when you are catching a hundred 12" walleye a day, but I also know the bigger ones are starting to put the feed bag on. My main concern is water level and clarity. I know when they open up the dam it can make the river and large stretches of the like look like chocolate milk and fishing is terrible then. Would obviously like to avoid that if possible. trying to decide on staying on the lake or in Nipawin is another challenge. All info is appreciated!

Jigapoolza 08-17-2019 02:46 PM

The river is dirty right now and has been for quite a while . Once it finally clears up fishing should be really good for a few weeks anyway. Usually the river doesn’t get dirty in the fall .

Teamprotz 08-17-2019 09:44 PM

Heard the women’s tourney was horrible. 27 teams with no fish ! And only one over , a 72cm. Even here in Lloyd water is 2.5-3 ft higher than normal and dirty. It’ll take a while to improve

Remi3006 08-17-2019 10:44 PM

We just got back from a week at Tobin. I have fished Tobin 8 years in June and always done well with Pike and Walleye, last week was terrible! Very slow in all locations and the water was very dirty. Heard good things about September fishing though.

Lowrance Fishburn 08-19-2019 09:12 AM

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I hope the water has settles but the third week of September and the fish are starting to put the feed bag on. Guess it will depend on water temps but I was mainly concerned about the visibility as I know it has been said the water can look like chocolate milk after they open the dam sometimes. Guess i'll keep my fingers crossed!

Lowrance Fishburn 08-19-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remi3006 (Post 4015909)
We just got back from a week at Tobin. I have fished Tobin 8 years in June and always done well with Pike and Walleye, last week was terrible! Very slow in all locations and the water was very dirty. Heard good things about September fishing though.

Remi were you mainly fishing the river or the main lake? How far did the dirty water stretch out towards the lake? Were you mainly targeting walleye? What did you use that was most successful during the tough fishing? Cheers

Lowrance Fishburn 08-23-2019 09:43 AM

Bump:)

Remi3006 08-24-2019 09:10 AM

Weather was very calm for the week, so we fished the lake almost everyday. Water was chocolate milk from Nipawin to the lake!! Focused on Walleye for the most part, bottom bounced and pulled cranks were the best. The main shel in the lake produced our biggest fish. If you’re into pike, be sure to spend some time on Elk Island!

Freedom55 08-26-2019 09:56 AM

Last October- first week- the temperature was -5 at 7:00 a.m. with snow and wind through the weekend. The only (fishing) time I've been colder was when steelheading in January.

Free

Lowrance Fishburn 08-27-2019 08:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am pretty confident now that things should be cleared up by the third week of September as far as water goes. Hopefully we don't get too much wind, it can really limit what you do out there and where you can go. The weather should be about 15-19 degrees based on the long range but im sure the mornings will be frosty, we will bring out winter gear for sure and hope for the best.

Remi, I find the main shelf on the big lake to be a favourite spot of mine as well.

Freedom, what did you find was the best approach for the cold weather at that time of year? jigging? Bottom bouncing? or other? I typically dont like trolling cranks as there are soo many logs and snags in that lake, its way to easy to lose a 20-30 dollar crank.

Cheers

Talking moose 08-27-2019 08:59 AM

The on the nsr from Edmonton to sask border is clear right now. Should be good around Tobin too unless sask got a bunch of rain recently.

Talking moose 08-27-2019 08:59 AM

The water....

spoiledsaskhunter 08-27-2019 09:57 AM

help me here, guys. when you talk about 'opening the dam', i'm puzzled, because don't they open the dam a couple times every day? would there ever be a time of clean water if opening the dam caused dirty water?

i've been there a couple times (years ago) and when they opened the dam all that happened was the current increased and the water level went up.

Freedom55 08-28-2019 07:48 AM

In my experience...

I have over twenty days of fishing time on the Saskatchewan River and only one day was there any muck in the water, allegedly from increasing water flow at the dam. There were clots of bottom silt and vegetation floating downstream.

A couple of years ago there was an oil slick on Codette Lake but none of it appeared on the Tobin side.

Free