Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Want to get into Ocean fishing (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=368127)

Gear guy 08-17-2019 03:54 PM

Want to get into Ocean fishing

I have an 18 foot boat with a 50 HP motor on it. Not looking at getting too crazy but I think it's possible to get into some decent fishing along the coast with a boat that size and catch a few salmon and bottom fish. Are there areas that are better for this type of fishing without crazy big swells and an area where a beginner can learn how to catch some decent fish and not get into ocean trouble? I have fished a couple times off the coast at Port Renfrew and it seemed like we didn't have to get out too far to catch fish but wonder if there are better areas

Jamie 08-17-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gear guy (Post 4015784)
I have an 18 foot boat with a 50 HP motor on it. Not looking at getting too crazy but I think it's possible to get into some decent fishing along the coast with a boat that size and catch a few salmon and bottom fish. Are there areas that are better for this type of fishing without crazy big swells and an area where a beginner can learn how to catch some decent fish and not get into ocean trouble? I have fished a couple times off the coast at Port Renfrew and it seemed like we didn't have to get out too far to catch fish but wonder if there are better areas

Central coast? Bella Bella area will work. a million island's keep that water flat as a Mill pond most of the time. Drive to Bella Coola then ferry down or drop your boat in the water and motor out?

Gear guy 08-17-2019 04:08 PM

Ya something like that works. I am in Edmonton so don't want to get too crazy just want to experience something different fishing wise. Always wanted to try bottome fishing for Cod and whatever else I can catch and try my luck with a salmon or 2. I am not familiar with the areas but will check it out on a map and do some research. Thanks

Brandonkop 08-17-2019 06:22 PM

Check out Salmon University. The north island has a lot of great spots around Port Hardy and South like Port Mcniel and more. I can't remember the name, lots of protected water, I've fished it with my 16 foot a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRL5BMzya4

Can't keep the Yelloweye rockfish any more and you need a fish descending device on board if actively fishing or rockfish.

fish99 08-18-2019 07:16 PM

fished port hardy and Qualicum area with 16 foot and 50 hp Johnson no problems

Salavee 08-18-2019 10:27 PM

You could also try Bamfield in Barkley Sound. It's on the West Coast of Van Isle, via Port Alberni. Lots of decent water for an 18 footer.. if the weather is right.

mayuan 08-21-2019 10:41 AM

Campbell river is a good place to get started. You have all the resources of a larger town and some decent fishing. Lots of traffic if you find yourself in trouble. Fish on the east side of Quadra island half way to Marina island for the salmon. For Ling you can bounce the bottom off of Quadra island about 100ft from shore.

Drewski Canuck 08-21-2019 02:57 PM

Any long inlet with a hatchery on the river will work, like Alberni, or Nootka for example.

I have had alot of years of good fishing at Big and Little Qualicum out of Deep Bay, as we used to stay at Bower Bill's and fished with a 14 foot car topper with a 20 Johnson. Pretty forgiving waters EXCEPT when the Qualicum (South East wind) blew.

Just remember the Good Lord Sure Hates a Coward (thanks Werner Dorch for that pearl of wisdom). So watch the weather and get off before the swells build and the squall line hits, or you could meet your maker at Chrome Island.

Drewski

HookedOnKokanee 08-21-2019 05:09 PM

The absolute best place for chinook salmon is revealed in this post and all on a budget even the wife will agree to

-- thanks for the slow down and shut down of the salmon commercial fishery, the mouth of the fraser river is blackout on the fish finders

-- up to thirty pounds, from 20 to 80 feet down

-- the locals have never seen nothing like this ever

-- fishing should be good from now to the 1st week of september

-- to answer your question your boat will be no problem

-- you start in the fraser river drive 10 miles down stream to area between Point Grey and the Sand Heads

-- if you can go right now you will limit out , 1 spring per day and more at the by august 26th the limit will be 2 per day

-- 1-604-270-3097, i can write all day but this recording tells you all about it

-- Be careful though once you hear the recording you will be packing tonight

-- there is free parking on the launches for the fraser, if you want more information ...

Tight lines doyle

fish99 08-21-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 4017242)
Any long inlet with a hatchery on the river will work, like Alberni, or Nootka for example.

I have had alot of years of good fishing at Big and Little Qualicum out of Deep Bay, as we used to stay at Bower Bill's and fished with a 14 foot car topper with a 20 Johnson. Pretty forgiving waters EXCEPT when the Qualicum (South East wind) blew.

Just remember the Good Lord Sure Hates a Coward (thanks Werner Dorch for that pearl of wisdom). So watch the weather and get off before the swells build and the squall line hits, or you could meet your maker at Chrome Island.

Drewski

bowers bills was amazing when it got dark and all the boats were coming in he knew what trailer belonged to what boat and the order they came in , so he could back your trailer down the ramp with his tractor all in order , his little tackle shop only had the gear that caught fish in that area . he helped us a lot to get started catching salmon , great guy

dohboy 08-23-2019 02:30 PM

Sooke is a very short run to good fishing grounds
Do you have a chart plotter? Downriggers?
You can fish just outside the harbour at possession pt, run to trap shack, Beachy head, Gordon’s beach just to name a few
Good forums at Sportfishing bc

Gear guy 08-23-2019 04:05 PM

No I don't have riggers or even big rods yet. Just in the learning phase of things and will maybe go next summer. It's got me a little on edge learning it all and making it safe and knowing the rules as well so just starting my homework now

Jamie 08-23-2019 08:05 PM

Its a addiction.
I would recommend a guided trip followed by a few self guided ones. That will give you feel of the game and a very basic understanding. It also gives you a chance to see a few different places and the hassles and bonuses of each of them.

We are in the process of putting together a small group of like minded guys and buying a ocean type boat that will be left on the coast for the summer. Might even be up and running by next summer.

mikebossy 08-24-2019 12:52 PM

'The absolute best place for chinook salmon is revealed in this post and all on a budget even the wife will agree to', and
'Be careful though once you hear the recording you will be packing tonight',
priceless quotes, esp the second one, lmao, from HookedonKokanee above, keep up the good work

HL_transplant 08-26-2019 04:23 PM

Exactly!! good advice
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 4018103)
Its a addiction.
I would recommend a guided trip followed by a few self guided ones. That will give you feel of the game and a very basic understanding. It also gives you a chance to see a few different places and the hassles and bonuses of each of them.

We are in the process of putting together a small group of like minded guys and buying a ocean type boat that will be left on the coast for the summer. Might even be up and running by next summer.