Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shook a hand today... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=275142)

Zip 12-22-2015 04:41 PM

Shook a hand today...

I can't believe my luck today...I was just at the Calgary airport to pick up my mom coming in from Brandon, and while we are waiting for mom's flight to get in...I look up from where I was sitting and Tom Jackson the actor from "North of 60" as well as a great spokesperson and one of the orginazers of the Huron Carol is walking right in front of me. Okay I have always wanted to meet that guy as I always thought he was kinda cool...well it turns out he is, I went over and we shook hands and right away he asked me my name and then we chatted for a minute then off I went to get mom...
I know some here may not know him, but he is a great man and it doesn't take much to keep me happy, a handshake and a bit of conversation....Wow, I mean it I have always wanted to meet that guy..I was so happy that tears ran down my leg I think...anyway, cool stuff for me!!
Merry Christmas
Zip,Mrs Zip,Zip and Mrs Zip's Son,Zip's Mom:):):sHa_shakeshout::):)

Matt L. 12-22-2015 05:11 PM

That is pretty cool!

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

cowmanbob 12-22-2015 05:26 PM

Always liked that christmas program. Did you get a pic?

Zip-in-Z 12-22-2015 05:50 PM

Wow ... great experience, tks for sharing.

Zip 12-22-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmanbob (Post 3079411)
Always liked that christmas program. Did you get a pic?

Ahhhhh....no, I was so stunned to be seeing him I never even thought of that...now I feel kinda stupid...:sign0176:

Grizzly Adams 12-22-2015 06:40 PM

Son flew on the same plane to ontario with George Fox once, had a nice conversation with the man. Had to pass his delight on to his ontario relatives.

George Who? :confused:

Grizz

brslk 12-22-2015 06:48 PM

I rode up 17 floors in an elevator with Wayne Gretzky a couple of weeks ago.
Made some small talk but I was too much in awe to think to ask for a pic.

roger 12-22-2015 06:56 PM

Tom j! That's cool! He is comfortable with his roles.
I didn't mind north of 60 at all the opening song is a favorite of mine.
they try ed to make that show in hobbema (now maskwacis) but then it would have had to be called "north of 53".
Didn't have same ring to it..
I have yet to bump into anyone famous.

bear crossing 12-22-2015 07:22 PM

Always liked tom jackson,admired his hair style,finally at 63 my daughter cut my long hair to shorter with a braid down the centre.

urcayuse 12-22-2015 07:27 PM

Tears ran down your leg? That was a good one! Lol

Zip 12-22-2015 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urcayuse (Post 3079578)
Tears ran down your leg? That was a good one! Lol

:):):)

Zip 12-22-2015 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brslk (Post 3079528)
I rode up 17 floors in an elevator with Wayne Gretzky a couple of weeks ago.
Made some small talk but I was too much in awe to think to ask for a pic.

That would have been very cool... I would have most likley done the same!!

mudbug 12-22-2015 08:40 PM

Right on Zip :sHa_shakeshout:

purgatory.sv 12-22-2015 10:08 PM

Remember they are like you.

And if they respond they are true.

Best wishes and a good new year.

avb3 12-23-2015 07:28 AM

Meet both Wayne Gretzky AND Gordie Howe at the banquet prior to the Oilers playing the Soviets back in 1980. Got both their autographs on the program at the same time.

And lost the program some years later in a move. Still upset about that.

On the upside, I still have the program and autograph to the tribute dinnner of Tommy Joe Coffee's number being retired and put up on the Eskimo's Wall of Fame. He was my junior and high school phys-ed teacher.

elkhunter11 12-23-2015 07:52 AM

I met Bob Park from the Beachcombers in Fort McMurray, but most people had no idea who he was. I sat next to David Suzuki on a jet to Fort McMurray, but I never thought of asking for an autograph. I kept thinking what a hypocrite he was flying to the area to condemn the oil industry.

Stinky Buffalo 12-23-2015 08:37 AM

Great stuff, Zip!

It's always great to meet up with someone you admire, especially when they are a class act.

Zip 12-23-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 3080062)
Great stuff, Zip!

It's always great to meet up with someone you admire, especially when they are a class act.

He has helped so many people...so many,I was sure he would be approachable..and I waited until he was done on his cell and he was just kinda standing there by himself, I quietly slipped over to him and our conversation was low Key as I didn't want draw attention to him...I'm selfless that way, had him all to myself for a few moments and that's all it took for me to see that he is exactly like I thought....a great person! When our conversation ended it was because I ended it..not him, and then he shook my hand and while saying my name in that deep clear voice he wished me and my whole family a Merry Christmas.
To me..even though I never got a picture,or a autograph,it was priceless! Just shaking the mans hand was good enough for this old fella...the conversation was just a big bonus!....I just had to share this with you all,as it was a great Christmas Present to me that I never expected!
Zip:)

cranky 12-23-2015 09:29 AM

Ive had the great pleasure of knowing Jimmy Herman a little bit. He acted Joe Goomba in North of 60. He has been in many other movies such as Dances with Wolves and even Forgiven. Mostly bit parts, some comedic relief etc. But used very often in any film with natives in it.

He was a humble type of guy. Not too talkative just like in his movies. He had a college degree in i believe communication.

He used any fame he had to influence young aboriginals. And was very aware he was a role model. He would speak in schools etc. Always put his "money where his mouth was" that i saw anyway..

He died at 72 years old in Sept 2013 but i still always remember him. He was originally from Cold Lake but made his home in Edmonton. I doubt many folks even knew he lived in Edmonton. Couldnt really miss him with his long grey braids and chiseled aboriginal face. Looked very much like the pictures of yesteryear as in Sitting Bull types. Very majestic looking guy. I really liked this man. He had a great personality and had a habit of saying quite profound things.

Dacotensis 12-23-2015 09:33 AM

Just think.

Almost every hand you have ever shaken has had a penis in it
:)

Zip 12-23-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dacotensis (Post 3080133)
Just think.

Almost every hand you have ever shaken has had a penis in it
:)

Guilty on that one myself...:thinking-006::scared0018:

Zip 12-23-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranky (Post 3080126)
Ive had the great pleasure of knowing Jimmy Herman a little bit. He acted Joe Goomba in North of 60. He has been in many other movies such as Dances with Wolves and even Forgiven. Mostly bit parts, some comedic relief etc. But used very often in any film with natives in it.

He was a humble type of guy. Not too talkative just like in his movies. He had a college degree in i believe communication.

He used any fame he had to influence young aboriginals. And was very aware he was a role model. He would speak in schools etc. Always put his "money where his mouth was" that i saw anyway..

He died at 72 years old in Sept 2013 but i still always remember him. He was originally from Cold Lake but made his home in Edmonton. I doubt many folks even knew he lived in Edmonton. Couldnt really miss him with his long grey braids and chiseled aboriginal face. Looked very much like the pictures of yesteryear as in Sitting Bull types. Very majestic looking guy. I really liked this man. He had a great personality and had a habit of saying quite profound things.

I remember that guy...he must have made a good impression on you as you have taken the time to get to know about him...good on you for that!

rugatika 12-23-2015 10:06 AM

Always cool to hear about celebrities that are still humble enough to stop and talk to their fans. I have been a fan of Tom Jackson for a long time. He always seemed like an honest down to Earth type of guy. Good to hear that he actually is.

SamSteele 12-23-2015 10:15 AM

I was able to meet Paul Henderson and his wife in Toronto one time at a sports pub/restaurant. He was very gracious when I introduced myself. Didn't ask for a pic as I didn't want to intrude into his personal life too much, but I did pay for their meal before I left. Waitress informed him as I was leaving and I got an enthusiastic wave and farewell from them both.

I can now say I bought Paul Henderson and his wife dinner...

SS

Grizzly Adams 12-23-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3080013)
I met Bob Park from the Beachcombers in Fort McMurray, but most people had no idea who he was. I sat next to David Suzuki on a jet to Fort McMurray, but I never thought of asking for an autograph. I kept thinking what a hypocrite he was flying to the area to condemn the oil industry.

Could have taken the opportunity to ask about that. :D

Grizz

Selkirk 12-23-2015 10:47 AM

Tom Jackson

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip (Post 3079362)

Shook a hand today . . .

I've always been a big fan of Tom, his acting. his music, and his charity work.

In my book, he's a Great Canadian, for sure!

Mac

Zip 12-23-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacLeod (Post 3080217)

I've always been a big fan of Tom, his acting. his music, and his charity work.

In my book, he's a Great Canadian, for sure!

Mac

Nice picture Macleod...thanks for posting him up,he deserves every attaboy that he gets for his charity work alone...but he is most humble and more of a behind the scenes kinda guy!
Zip:)