Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Blowgun!!! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=196551)

ramonmark 10-25-2013 10:46 AM

Blowgun!!!

I only ask this question under this thread because I really don't know where it should fit in and it has the word 'gun' in it's name.

Anyways, does anyone know why a blowgun is a prohibited weapon in Canada? I realise that many weapons are deemed prohibited for what’s seems to be no reason at all besides it's 'scary' look or demeanour. Why the blowgun? Surely it can’t be because it’s silent. If that were the case a bow should be next on the list. No? My digging around has only uncovered that it’s a lethal weapon to larger animals if the tip is poisoned. Although, we have many other tools at our disposal that are far more dangerous. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a slingshot poses more of a threat than a blowgun! I must be missing something.

I’ve been watching a lot of videos of guys dispatching small game with these suckers and it looks like a lot of fun. I really wish we could take part in this type of small game hunting. I think dropping a grouse or rabbit with a blowgun would be a wicked thrill!

Thanks in advance

thirty-30 10-25-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramonmark (Post 2167690)
I only ask this question under this thread because I really don't know where it should fit in and it has the word 'gun' in it's name.

Anyways, does anyone know why a blowgun is a prohibited weapon in Canada? I realise that many weapons are deemed prohibited for what’s seems to be no reason at all besides it's 'scary' look or demeanour. Why the blowgun? Surely it can’t be because it’s silent. If that were the case a bow should be next on the list. No? My digging around has only uncovered that it’s a lethal weapon to larger animals if the tip is poisoned. Although, we have many other tools at our disposal that are far more dangerous. I must be missing something.

I’ve been watching a lot of videos of guys dispatching small game with these suckers and it looks like a lot of fun. I really wish we could take part in this type of small game hunting. I think dropping a grouse or rabbit with a blowgun would be a wicked thrill!

Thanks in advance

Probably because some bureaucrat envisions someone being assassinated by a poisoned dart from a blowgun slipped into a sleeve.

Pudelpointer 10-25-2013 10:54 AM

Yup. Only reason is ignorance and stupidity.

double gun 10-25-2013 10:55 AM

Same reason nunchucks are also on the list. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lefty-Canuck 10-25-2013 10:58 AM

Ballista?

I always wanted to manufacture a ballista to set up on game trails around my tree stand....I could run the pull cords up to my tree stand....would this be allowed during an archery only season?

LC :)

32-40win 10-25-2013 11:00 AM

I used to cause a lot of trouble with a straw and a bag of peas. They were good for about 20yds as I remember.

Big Daddy Badger 10-25-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double gun (Post 2167697)
Same reason nunchucks are also on the list. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I disagree...nunchucks were lawful and still would be if not for all the idiots that started whipping them out in fist fights etc.

A lot of people...usually youths... bought or made them and started to act like idiots... smashing property and other people.
Same thing with throwing stars.
Once they hit the market every other idiot in highschool had em and they were winging em all over the damn place.

Anyone growing up on the heals of the Bruce Lee era should be able to remember that.

The blow gun thing is a bit of a mystery though...

Mistagin 10-25-2013 11:35 AM

As a kid I made one with a 4 foot length of copper plumbing pipe; made darts from nails that I hammered and filed into little 'arrowhead' type points and were fastened into little dowels, a wad of kleenex on the other end to seal the pipe.
Slid the first dart into the pipe and went to try it out. With a bit of practice it wasn't hard to be accurate up to about 25 feet or so, so I went 'hunting'. First shot at a starling and the dart went right through it :scared0015:. I was pretty proud of myself :sHa_shakeshout:

Then I found out it was an illegal weapon :scared0018:

Still don't know why. It would be fun and effective to use on grouse.

CNP 10-25-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2167700)
I always wanted to manufacture a ballista to set up on game trails around my tree stand....I could run the pull cords up to my tree stand....would this be allowed during an archery only season?

LC :)

Only if you are handicapped.........but wait...........asking this question makes you handicapped:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlC51FbnNSw

The sound track is awesome and it's only 1:34

Big Daddy Badger 10-25-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehntr (Post 2167749)
Only if you are handicapped.........but wait...........asking this question makes you handicapped:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlC51FbnNSw

The sound track is awesome and it's only 1:34

Assuming it would be mounted on a trailer... would that be considered shooting from a vehicle?

nekred 10-25-2013 12:37 PM

Blowguns are illegal because they are an easily concealed assassin's weapon. They can be made out of non-metallic objects and can be passed through security very easily.

They are illegal so that anyone carrying one can be charged with an offense... it is not like a person can say i am using it for hunting, target shooting etc.

bat119 10-25-2013 01:10 PM

Blowguns are pretty deadly in the old days on construction sites guys would take a 4' piece of 1/2" stainless tracer tubing and a piece of stainless 16 gauge wire put a dixie cup point on it and pierce 1/4" plywood at twenty feet. I saw a lot of pigeons with wire sticking out of them walking around .

Pudelpointer 10-25-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekred (Post 2167819)
Blowguns are illegal because they are an easily concealed assassin's weapon. They can be made out of non-metallic objects and can be passed through security very easily.

They are illegal so that anyone carrying one can be charged with an offense... it is not like a person can say i am using it for hunting, target shooting etc.

Oh my. A "hunting" blowgun is anything but "easily concealable". Ceramic knife blades are non-metallic and pass through security.

Handguns are easily concealable, oh but wait, there is lots of justification (read irrational fear) for banning those too. And remember that girl in BC who was murdered with a crossbow (bolt)? Remember crossbows requiring a firearms license. Don't forget the horrific switchblade!!!! Just because the new assisted opening knives haven't been showing up in hundreds of senseless murders each year has nothing to do with the incredible danger that knives that open with the push of a button pose to society!

Sarcasm off.

Little red riding hood 04-28-2018 04:06 AM

So, who we gotta start writing letters to and harassing to get them deregulated?

The argument that an assassin could use them...
That's moot! Last time I checked, assassination was illegal.
So if someone is breaking a law (killing folks) I don't think he's gonna be too concerned about a blowgun infraction!

If an assassin wants to kill someone with a blowgun... he's gonna use the blowgun. Laws be hanged!

Just watched Tim wells on YouTube hunting with a blowgun, looks like fun!
Is like to give it a go.

Trochu 04-28-2018 06:36 AM

What's the difference between a blowgun and a 4' section of pipe?

catnthehat 04-28-2018 07:37 AM

They were made prohibited about the same time as lawn darts for the same reason- because they were available as toys and deemed" dangerous"
Cat

Battle Rat 04-28-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 3777467)
What's the difference between a blowgun and a 4' section of pipe?

Every hardware store in the country is guilty of selling blow gun parts.

honda450 04-28-2018 07:50 AM

Well I never had a blow gun. But did have those darts you would put in to a
.177 pellet gun. Don't know if ya still can buy em or not.

Also had bean shooters, ammo was very cheap. Everybody had em back then. And slingshots. We were tough kids. hehe

58thecat 04-28-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 32-40win (Post 2167703)
I used to cause a lot of trouble with a straw and a bag of peas. They were good for about 20yds as I remember.

Bic pen and spit balls got me in trouble a few times....:)

Cleaned a few chalk boards during recesses.

58thecat 04-28-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honda450 (Post 3777481)
Well I never had a blow gun. But did have those darts you would put in to a
.177 pellet gun. Don't know if ya still can buy em or not.

Also had bean shooters, ammo was very cheap. Everybody had em back then. And slingshots. We were tough kids. hehe

The darts were a blast eh! Man I shot the heck out of everything will them and if not lost you could reuse them:sHa_shakeshout:

bessiedog 04-28-2018 08:21 AM

Ah..... my brothers got this big blowgun spear combo thing he brought back from Zimbabwe in the 90’s..... is it seriously prohibited?its made from African iron wood.

Kills pigeons and magpies really dang well!

Pioneer2 04-28-2018 10:09 AM

Ah.........

Yes

Battle Rat 04-28-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekred (Post 2167819)

Has anyone actually ever been assassinated with one, other than in the movies?
Not saying that a poison dart wouldn't work just that there are better choices.

catnthehat 04-28-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Rat (Post 3777550)
Has anyone actually ever been assassinated with one, other than in the movies?
Not saying that a poison dart wouldn't work just that there are better choices.

Nothing to do with assinating someone, more to do with home safety for kids, same as the lawn darts
Cat

wack99 04-28-2018 12:42 PM

For the Sparky's out there, a piece of 1/2" pvc and a marrette:)

Jason

calgarychef 04-28-2018 02:35 PM

I can't help but think that hunting grouse with a blowgun would be the most fun a feller could have

Trochu 04-28-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Rat (Post 3777478)
Every hardware store in the country is guilty of selling blow gun parts.

I'm thinking of reporting them. Our local hardware store is selling parts for prohibited weapons. That would make a "good" headline hey.

EZM 04-28-2018 08:29 PM

The damn Ninja movies in the 80's ruined it all for us.

It has, however, effectively eliminated 100% of those blow gun assassinations, that were running rampant here in 80's.

Battle Rat 04-28-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 3777682)
I'm thinking of reporting them. Our local hardware store is selling parts for prohibited weapons. That would make a "good" headline hey.

Ya, tell them they are assault blow guns.

Trochu 04-28-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Rat (Post 3777803)
Ya, tell them they are assault blow guns.

Well, naturally the PVC pipe versions are more dangerous.