Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Muir Lake - tougher than ever? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=415240)

CdnVet0506 09-11-2022 12:21 PM

Muir Lake - tougher than ever?

Dumb question, but is anyone else having problems catching trout at Muir? Normally I have a pretty good track record on the lake but this year has been a bust - tried chromomids, trolling, balanced leeches, etc. I water is obviously higher and darker. At this point I am hoping for good boatman hatches, until then I'll likely try Hasse
Thanks and have a great day

Gerald J 09-11-2022 05:31 PM

You are not alone. I have been there once this year at the beginning of June. Caught no fish and did not even get a hit. One other angler on the lake and I didn't see him catch a fish. Maybe some summer kill last year. My notes say "saw some dead minnows and dead backswimmers but no dead fish". Last year's results were mixed. I also noticed the high water and the continuously stained water in the fall. I thought about getting my float tube out for a few hours last week to try it but decided against it.

Mr Flyguy 09-11-2022 08:06 PM

Not only Muir. I was on Spring Lake yesterday for 4 hours and just a few tentative taps on trolled or suspended leech patterns. Same for another flyfisher. I drove by Muir on the way and only one truck in the parking lot at 11 am.

ecsuplander 09-12-2022 08:40 AM

I have not fished Muir at all this year. I think last years summerkill combined with the unusual/turbid water have done a number on this fishery. An extremely eutrophic lake that may have peaked a few years ago. Sad as it was growing some big fish with the aerators allowing overwintering.

orvisman 09-12-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 4557774)
Not only Muir. I was on Spring Lake yesterday for 4 hours and just a few tentative taps on trolled or suspended leech patterns. Same for another flyfisher. I drove by Muir on the way and only one truck in the parking lot at 11 am.

The lakes are still cooling off. Spring lake should pick up soon.

shredzoo7 09-19-2022 05:39 PM

I was there today for a few hours and not a single blip on the fish finder, or visual of any kind. I systematically went to all the spots where I've caught fish and some new areas and nothing. A lot of dead minnows as well, and no birds to be seen.

buckman 09-19-2022 06:31 PM

Summerkill here, and in BC my son just got back from the Columbia valley,many smaller lakes were a bust not even a fish moving.

morgan 09-20-2022 07:14 AM

Muir hasn’t fished all that great since the winter they shut the aerators off, only to turn them back on the next winter.
I think the province needs to rethink this project and move those funds and effort to another body of water. Muir is way too shallow and choked with weeds most of the year. It’s a glorified slough. Make it a put and take and let it die every winter.

smitty9 09-20-2022 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgan (Post 4560551)
Muir hasn’t fished all that great since the winter they shut the aerators off, only to turn them back on the next winter.
I think the province needs to rethink this project and move those funds and effort to another body of water. Muir is way too shallow and choked with weeds most of the year. It’s a glorified slough. Make it a put and take and let it die every winter.

That's not an ideal solution given all the volunteer hours put in to rehabbing the lake with the interpretive walk.

Mr Flyguy 09-20-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty9 (Post 4560699)
That's not an ideal solution given all the volunteer hours put in to rehabbing the lake with the interpretive walk.

I fully agree. What a waste of all that effort just to have pickerel riggers come in and clean out the lake after stocking!

CdnVet0506 09-21-2022 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 4560721)
I fully agree. What a waste of all that effort just to have pickerel riggers come in and clean out the lake after stocking!

Wish the CO's visited the lake regularly... guys with pickerel rigs, trolling bait, gas motors (if I recall it's a no gas engine lake). Calling it in is a crapshoot

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk