Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   If You Catch Provincial Record but Release (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=237574)

BanffOrBust 11-27-2014 08:04 PM

If You Catch Provincial Record but Release

I few years back I caught a 6+lbs Rocky Mountain Whitefish in the Red Deer River. It was the last few days of my summer up in Alberta playing baseball for the Red Deer Riggers. I had no clue where to take it for authentication, no time to have it taxidermy, and the big fellow was looking at me with very sad eyes. Plus I was fishing with a resident fishing license when I clearly should have had an out of province license. (Hey I was a broke college kid). :)! So, after keeping it out of the water for entirely too long, I nursed it back to swimming away to be free and pass on it's genes. I told my uncle about my catch, and he said, "oh great, we have a brain dead trophy whitefish out there". I felt horrible and still do all these years later!

He swam away fine.....do you think I hurt him? I nursed him back for some time, with several attempts to swim on his own, and made sure he was pretty strong when I finally let him loose.

And, when you release a record fish...do you have bragging rights that you own the provincial record? I say yes! :)!!!

yoteblaster 11-27-2014 08:15 PM

The only thing I believe about your comments is the brain dead part, not the fish, but you. Please go away!!!!!!

BanffOrBust 11-27-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoteblaster (Post 2635134)
The only thing I believe about your comments is the brain dead part, not the fish, but you. Please go away!!!!!!

True story.

jacenbeers 11-27-2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanffOrBust (Post 2635143)
True story.

Troll?

outdoors forever 11-28-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacenbeers (Post 2635323)
Troll?

I would kind of agree.........

ETOWNCANUCK 11-28-2014 12:36 AM

Pics or it didn't happen

Adwittoutdoors 11-28-2014 12:42 AM

You're not banned yet ?!?!? Sounds like another Epic story. :sign0161:

WayneChristie 11-28-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adwittoutdoors (Post 2635401)
You're not banned yet ?!?!? Sounds like another Epic story. :sign0161:

sounds kinda spinny to me :)

Don Andersen 11-28-2014 08:13 AM

Banff...
You likely caught a Lake Whitefish. There is some in the Red deer. I've caught them to 5 lbs. tough to tell them apart.
A fish caught illegally would probably not be recognized.

Don

lannie 11-28-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanffOrBust (Post 2635125)
I few years back I caught a 6+lbs Rocky Mountain Whitefish in the Red Deer River. It was the last few days of my summer up in Alberta playing baseball for the Red Deer Riggers. I had no clue where to take it for authentication, no time to have it taxidermy, and the big fellow was looking at me with very sad eyes. Plus I was fishing with a resident fishing license when I clearly should have had an out of province license. (Hey I was a broke college kid). :)! So, after keeping it out of the water for entirely too long, I nursed it back to swimming away to be free and pass on it's genes. I told my uncle about my catch, and he said, "oh great, we have a brain dead trophy whitefish out there". I felt horrible and still do all these years later!

And, when you release a record fish...do you have bragging rights that you own the provincial record? I say yes! :)!!!

Don't let it bother you Banff. It really was not a provincial record because I caught a much larger one a few years ago, got an 87 lb Rocky. Right after that I gave up recreational drugs and took up photography. Fish are now much smaller and less colorful.

BanffOrBust 11-28-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Andersen (Post 2635524)
Banff...
You likely caught a Lake Whitefish. There is some in the Red deer. I've caught them to 5 lbs. tough to tell them apart.
A fish caught illegally would probably not be recognized.

Don

Just googled Lake Whitefish. I don't think so, but it was a long time ago so anything is possible. It was before digital camera's were around in the mid-80's. He took a floating rapala off the top. I was actually seeing if there were any pike in that deep little hole.

In my mind, I have the record. :)!

C & C 11-28-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanffOrBust (Post 2635566)
Just googled Lake Whitefish. I don't think so, but it was a long time ago so anything is possible. It was before digital camera's were around in the mid-80's. He took a floating rapala off the top. I was actually seeing if there were any pike in that deep little hole.

Well there you have it, legend in your own mind. Might as well retire to the castle you own and slay dragons now.:snapoutofit:

MoFugger21 11-28-2014 09:28 AM

Red Deer is a long way from Arizona...

Lefty-Canuck 11-28-2014 09:34 AM

I caught a 36 inch walleye in Pigeon lake with my bare hands....true story (no really I did!) so I think I will claim that record.

LC :)

58thecat 11-28-2014 10:03 AM

:thinking-006:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK (Post 2635400)
Pics or it didn't happen

TROLLER 11-28-2014 10:16 AM

It does raise on interesting question.

What if you think you may have a record and your intent is to release the fish. Say someone catches a potential record at a C&R lake.

Picture and measurement enough? If you have no scale how then can you verify anything?

BanffOrBust 11-28-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoFugger21 (Post 2635609)
Red Deer is a long way from Arizona...

I played Semi-Pro baseball for the Red Deer Riggers for 3 years after college. I have a bunch of relatives all over Alberta. My grandfather had 2 sections of land just south of Red Deer when I was growing up. I'm up in Calgary, and Banff frequently. Are we playing wack-a-mole? lol!

CanadianBadass 11-28-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Apparently a few years back meant .... Back in the 80's, Just a few years ago !

wildside2014 11-28-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanffOrBust (Post 2635663)
I played Semi-Pro baseball for the Red Deer Riggers for 3 years after college. I have a bunch of relatives all over Alberta. My grandfather had 2 sections of land just south of Red Deer when I was growing up. I'm up in Calgary, and Banff frequently. Are we playing wack-a-mole? lol!

I have to bite on this one. What exactly constitutes 'semi-pro'? For that matter WTF does semi pro even mean? The red deer riggers are, and have been an amateur baseball team since 1981. So what was semi pro about the team you were on? I played junior hockey. I collected a paycheck...but I was still playing on an amateur team. Im confused, or are you one of those guys that woulda coulda shoulda but only played 'semi-pro' because a bad hamstring and because of the 'politics'?

BanffOrBust 11-28-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildside2014 (Post 2635884)
I have to bite on this one. What exactly constitutes 'semi-pro'? For that matter WTF does semi pro even mean? The red deer riggers are, and have been an amateur baseball team since 1981. So what was semi pro about the team you were on? I played junior hockey. I collected a paycheck...but I was still playing on an amateur team. Im confused, or are you one of those guys that woulda coulda shoulda but only played 'semi-pro' because a bad hamstring and because of the 'politics'?

From Wikipedia:
A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, making the athlete not a full professional athlete.

EZM 11-28-2014 06:32 PM

Shot a unicorn with a golden slingshot, she scored 21 and 3/8 pope and young.

Without a picture, certified scale (or measuring tape), and witness upholding a C&R might be tough.

jacenbeers 11-28-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianBadass (Post 2635730)
Apparently a few years back meant .... Back in the 80's, Just a few years ago !

I was just about to say the same thing. This troll is pretty amateur if he can't even keep his story straight. At least SpinNFlyFish does a better job as a troll

huntingd 11-28-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanffOrBust (Post 2636133)
From Wikipedia:
A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, making the athlete not a full professional athlete.

Ha ha one of those guys.

wildside2014 11-29-2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanffOrBust (Post 2636133)
From Wikipedia:

So the many hundreds of players in the cfl that work fulltime jobs aside from playing football professionally in the cfl arent in fact professional ball players.....they are semi pro?

Not to mention, the riggers have always been an amatuer team.

No idea why im arguing with a troll, but posers annoy me. Time to crawl back in your hole mtngnt

catnthehat 11-29-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Records have to be documented- yours wasn't, so no, you don't" own" the record.
You also should not have been fishing with the wrong license so in effect you were fishing illegally.
The hole is already too deep, throw the shovel away and crawl out of it.:snapoutofit:
Cat

Sundancefisher 11-29-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

The part I love most is a floating rapala. Classic funny man here.

wags 11-29-2014 09:10 AM

Everyone can relax. I caught a 7# last night - no pics - so everyone can rest easy. The record is mine now so BACK OFF!

Also, I grew up watching the Riggers, and got to play a couple games for the Jr. Riggers a few years back, and also umpired Rigger games for several years. What was your name? I would happily corroborate your story for everyone :) (the part where you played, not the part where they are semi pro).

Cheers

BanffOrBust 11-29-2014 09:46 AM

A farmer in a village had a goat and a donkey. The farmer used to make the donkey work hard. He fed the donkey with good food - carrots, radish, corn, etc. The goat was very unhappy since it had to find food by it's own and eat grass. It became very jealous of the donkey. The goat thought of a plan. The goat thought that if the donkey stopped working, it would get the good food the donkey got from the farmer. So the goat pushed the donkey into a large hole. The donkey was badly hurt and it could not walk.

The farmer became very sad seeing the donkey's bad health condition. He wanted the donkey to recover soon from illness since he had to get work from the donkey. The farmer thought that feeding the donkey with goat's soup might make the donkey recover from illness soon. Hence, the farmer killed the goat and gave the donkey it's soup.

So instead of getting the donkey's food, the goat itself became food for the donkey.

Lefty-Canuck 11-29-2014 09:58 AM

I am calling Bust....ain't no way there is any Banff around here.

LC

CanadianBadass 11-29-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanffOrBust (Post 2636886)
A farmer in a village had a goat and a donkey. The farmer used to make the donkey work hard. He fed the donkey with good food - carrots, radish, corn, etc. The goat was very unhappy since it had to find food by it's own and eat grass. It became very jealous of the donkey. The goat thought of a plan. The goat thought that if the donkey stopped working, it would get the good food the donkey got from the farmer. So the goat pushed the donkey into a large hole. The donkey was badly hurt and it could not walk.

The farmer became very sad seeing the donkey's bad health condition. He wanted the donkey to recover soon from illness since he had to get work from the donkey. The farmer thought that feeding the donkey with goat's soup might make the donkey recover from illness soon. Hence, the farmer killed the goat and gave the donkey it's soup.

So instead of getting the donkey's food, the goat itself became food for the donkey.

Cool Story Bro , You should tell it again sometime ! :sSig_cool2: