Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   I want to fly fish around caroline... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=379286)

happyfisher 04-06-2020 12:02 PM

I want to fly fish around caroline...

I wanna take my 14' camper and fish a river or creek around caroline....I noticed some creeks/rivers are open in the area. I wanna get away from the wife for a day or 2...lol

I'm not asking for any secret spots....just a place I can get to...park my truck and camper and walk and wade ..... catching a white I can keep to make the wife some fish jerky would be a bonus.....

Any ideas?

Tnx

Happy

338Bluff 04-06-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyfisher (Post 4143816)
I wanna take my 14' camper and fish a river or creek around caroline....I noticed some creeks/rivers are open in the area. I wanna get away from the wife for a day or 2...lol

I'm not asking for any secret spots....just a place I can get to...park my truck and camper and walk and wade ..... catching a white I can keep to make the wife some fish jerky would be a bonus.....

Any ideas?

Tnx

Happy

I'd amp at Tay River. Can day trip to lots of good fishing.

FlyTheory 04-06-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 338Bluff (Post 4143870)
I'd amp at Tay River. Can day trip to lots of good fishing.

2x

happyfisher 04-06-2020 04:24 PM

Thanks guys...now I gotta figure out how to get there....I presume there are some side roads off the main hiway I'll try......lol

Happy

338Bluff 04-06-2020 07:13 PM

Tay River Campground is right on the pavement west of Caroline. Get the Central AB Backroads Mapbook. Lots close by

LJalberta 04-06-2020 09:09 PM

Great campground and area to fish. I believe the campground is closed right now though as the province has been closing vehicle access to provincial recreation areas and it's located in the Tay River Recreation Area.

happyfisher 04-06-2020 09:25 PM

Yea...I saw the campground...thought it would be closed.....so I dunno where to start..I dont know the area at all....I was just gunna drive around I guess....untill I find a spot to hunker down....are there and spots around the camping area that I can just park at by the river ?

Tnx

Happy

338Bluff 04-06-2020 10:07 PM

I misunderstood. You want to go right away? I think its 2-3 weeks away yet until there's enough ice off the river. I think they get onto the Raven early but it's not water I'm familiar with.

happyfisher 04-06-2020 10:55 PM

Yea....I wanna fish Wednesday.....take the camper and go fish.....I'm gunna take the advise and go towards and try out Tay .....

FlyTheory 04-07-2020 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyfisher (Post 4144366)
Yea...I saw the campground...thought it would be closed.....so I dunno where to start..I dont know the area at all....I was just gunna drive around I guess....untill I find a spot to hunker down....are there and spots around the camping area that I can just park at by the river ?

Tnx

Happy

If you head down the highway to the trunk road (crown land) you can find random camping sites to park your camper, but even before the virus hit, the Tay campground was closed for the year (when I went in October).

LJalberta 04-07-2020 09:07 AM

Let us know how the trip goes - both finding camping spots and the fishing. I know they've barricaded off parts of the Trunk road, but I'm not sure what sections.

Smoky buck 04-07-2020 09:14 AM

I am curious on the conditions of the rivers around there and Rocky so would definitely be interested in a report

I am itching to get out but thinking it’s going to be fighting icebergs right now

1stLand 04-07-2020 09:20 AM

Tay River is terrible fishing at the campground. You'll catch the odd Brookie, but nothing big enough to put in a frying pan

Jokey75 04-07-2020 09:42 AM

Just because the fish aren't big enough to kill doesn't make it terrible fishing.

One thing to be aware of is that its easy to wander on to private land in that area and staying below the high water mark can be challenging this time of year.

Long ago I was fishing the Tay and a guy came out and gave me what for because I climbed up the bank near his yard. I dont think I trespassed but I have heard reports of others in the area experiencing the same so just be aware.

Good luck

MountainTi 04-07-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyfisher (Post 4144127)
Thanks guys...now I gotta figure out how to get there....I presume there are some side roads off the main hiway I'll try......lol

Happy

Lot of snow out here yet, another 5" since last night and still snowing hard. I'd watch and be careful where you're pulling off the main road

happyfisher 04-08-2020 05:55 PM

Ok I'm off tomorrow...I'll report when I get back!!!

happyfisher 04-10-2020 04:00 PM

Went out and found the Tay.....no fish to be seen at all....didnt fish to many holes tho...I think it needs more time as lots of it is still froze over. Ohh well at least i got out....it was a nice day yesterday...then snowed so i wanted to come back home incase the roads got bad....

I'll fish it again this year....when is a good time for the tay?

Happy

Smoky buck 04-10-2020 04:07 PM

Thanks for the report thought it might be early

I don’t fish the Tay but I have fished the Clearwater with good results in April in the past. This year things are just way behind

LJalberta 04-10-2020 06:36 PM

Thanks for the report back! Hopefully you have better luck with the next trip. As for the Tay, I've only fished it mid June, which like most rivers is pretty great fishing post-runoff.

happyfisher 04-10-2020 08:38 PM

Yea...I found some good pools....slow parts of pool still covered in ice...snow some spots up to my knee...didnt even see a fish....ohh well....

Tnx for the advise all...

Happy

WhitefishLady 04-22-2020 11:14 AM

If you are interested, Trout Unlimited Canada in doing some work in Tay River. There is often opportunity for volunteering (probably not anytime soon).

https://tucanada.org/looking-for-clu...ng-bull-trout/

The most abundant fish is brook trout. I have never fished Tay myself though. Clearwater isn't too far and I've caught whitefish and browns there. Its a late spring though!

Its too bad your wife doesn't like fishing haha.

Sundancefisher 05-03-2020 08:03 AM

Secret tip

I google searched the area and crossed referenced with a topo map years back. My old buddy Garry...rest in peace...and I then went exploring. Parked by seismic cut lines then walked to the creeks. Everyone of them full of tasty brook trout. All beaverdam pond were alive with brookies. They hit everything. Chances are no one else has ever fished it.

Probably the most satisfying exploring ever.

Sun

PS...the creeks along the forestry trunk road is also full of brookies. At 80 km/hr..they are virtually invisible. Most places were 1-2 feet wide and 3 feet deep. It was one after another dabbling a fly off a fly rod.