Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Suffield Elk Hunt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=389801)

Hawk53 10-30-2020 07:58 AM

Suffield Elk Hunt

This is a question for those that have been to the Suffield Elk Hunt. This may seem like a silly question but it came up in conversation.
Are the hunters helpers allowed to bring a rifle into the area?
Thanks in advance.

philintheblank 10-30-2020 08:32 AM

I believe its one rifle per truck. Even the hunter is only allowed 1 rifle as I recall

slopeshunter 10-30-2020 08:41 AM

helper > no.

CanadianEh 10-30-2020 08:44 AM

It isn't one rifle per truck. Hunters only though. Helpers not allowed to carry.

It is one rifle per hunter. You can have 3 hunters in 1 truck all with rifles.

But they will check your guns, and they will check who has tags upon entry to the base.

Hawk53 10-30-2020 09:26 AM

Thanks Guys :):)

astepanuk 10-30-2020 09:34 AM

Don't forget to bring your PAL as well they actually do check. One other thing on your last hunt when you leave your hotel room don't pack your half empty bottle of whiskey its very easy to forget when you go to pack up your hotel room but be expected to be searched.

CanadianEh 10-30-2020 09:35 AM

Also.. on a side note.

Be VERY careful to abide by proper gun in vehicle regulations.

They can and will stop you ON base to check. Several guys got busted while we were out having loaded ammo in the chamber, no trigger locks etc etc while driving.

They have roving patrols all over the base, checking for ANY infraction of ANY kind. and yes they will search your vehicle and bags at these stops.

we were stopped twice, but abide by the rules so they searched and let us continue on.

spazzy 10-30-2020 11:17 AM

Are trigger locks required on base ??

astepanuk 10-30-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spazzy (Post 4258209)
Are trigger locks required on base ??

Trigger Lock!!! what's a trigger lock... No they aren't required as long as you are presence of your rifle or locked truck.

250mark1 10-30-2020 01:06 PM

been to suffield twice and we always had 2 rifles in the truck for one hunter
just in case something happens to the main rifle it is nice to have a rifle there ready to go.
you can not have both of the rifles out of the truck at the same time though

DiabeticKripple 10-31-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianEh (Post 4258154)
Also.. on a side note.

Be VERY careful to abide by proper gun in vehicle regulations.

They can and will stop you ON base to check. Several guys got busted while we were out having loaded ammo in the chamber, no trigger locks etc etc while driving.

They have roving patrols all over the base, checking for ANY infraction of ANY kind. and yes they will search your vehicle and bags at these stops.

we were stopped twice, but abide by the rules so they searched and let us continue on.

You don’t need trigger locks while driving, or even leaving or coming into the base. Just unloaded is all you need.

Lefty-Canuck 10-31-2020 12:20 PM

Why would a “hunter helper” be allowed to bring a rifle in? What purpose would that serve?

LC

ADHAM 10-31-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4258757)
Why would a “hunter helper” be allowed to bring a rifle in? What purpose would that serve?

LC

Hunter helper not allowed to bring in a rifle!! He cant even carry his friends rifle while hunting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ariu 11-01-2020 09:10 PM

I was there 3 years ago.
I had to show them my guns (I had two, no locks on them). The truck was searched for alcoholic drinks. I also had to show them a compass as it was required. Smart phone does not count.

338Bluff 11-02-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4258757)

LC

I guess it would depend on the definition of "helping".