Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dealing with water in heated garage (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=418411)

Tungsten, 12-19-2022 05:00 PM

Dealing with water in heated garage

I clean my truck before I park to minimize runoff but I still get a ton of water.Here in Calgary when it gets above zero salt slush covers the entire underside.

I use to run carpet down each side to collect the water/slush.Too much work they get soaked and well you know.

Now my problem is my garage floor has a 1" over 4' slope
to the door.Water collects and runs along to a corner soaking the area.

I use a small piece of wood and close the door on that to divert water outside.

Dont want a big pan as Im always doing projects parking truck outside.

So any ideas how to collect control runoff when the heat is turned on?

Landshark 12-19-2022 05:25 PM

I use a garage floor mat that has about a 1" ledge around the perimeter. Then I scoop out the water when it's ugly outside about once a day. The water is basically contained until I scoop it out. It's not too heavy and can be skidded outside by hand if required. It can be power washed in the spring and summer as well. Works for me.
I'm thinking your overhead door might freeze down in the winter with the water build up in the corner.
Something like this. There are others to choose from as well.https://canadamats.ca/products/floor...tid=GCONT-7918

Tungsten, 12-19-2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 4591619)
I use a garage floor mat that has about a 1" ledge around the perimeter. Then I scoop out the water when it's ugly outside about once a day. The water is basically contained until I scoop it out. It's not too heavy and can be skidded outside by hand if required. It can be power washed in the spring and summer as well. Works for me.
I'm thinking your overhead door might freeze down in the winter with the water build up in the corner.
Something like this. There are others to choose from as well.https://canadamats.ca/products/floor...tid=GCONT-7918

I get a ton of gravel also so punctures would be a problem.

Landshark 12-19-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten, (Post 4591620)

You'd be surprised how tough they are. Have had mine for years and yes I haul in gravel and small stones too. Never a problem. It just holds the water.

Tungsten, 12-19-2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 4591621)
You'd be surprised how tough they are. Have had mine for years and yes I haul in gravel and small stones too. Never a problem. It just holds the water.

OK cool,thinking a tarp with a 1" pvc frame.I work new home construction so pvc is plenty in the bins.Just some 90's.

Wondering how much will evaporate or will I have to pump the water out or maybe build a drain to run under my door seal?

Walleye Willy 12-19-2022 05:48 PM

I just vacuum the water off of my mat (shopvac). Haven`t had any puntures.

curtz 12-19-2022 05:53 PM

I have a mat, I also use a shop vac to suck up the water and have a dehumidifier.

crazy_davey 12-19-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleye Willy (Post 4591629)
I just vacuum the water off of my mat (shopvac). Haven`t had any puntures.

This works for me too.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY 12-19-2022 06:02 PM

No mat--all I do is vacuum the water/mud/gravel up.

WV911 12-19-2022 06:16 PM

I have one of those diamond plate looking mats and I run 1x2's under both edges to contain the mess to the mat.
My garage is a heated floor so it is usually evaporated by morning.

Spidey 12-19-2022 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV911 (Post 4591644)
I have one of those diamond plate looking mats and I run 1x2's under both edges to contain the mess to the mat.
My garage is a heated floor so it is usually evaporated by morning.

I did the exact same set up. Eight years and still going strong. Bought the diamond plate mat at Costco. I attached 1x2's along the edge (heavy duty stapler) with a joint half way on both the long and short sides. That way I can fold it in half in either direction if I need to.

pikeslayer22 12-19-2022 07:45 PM

No floor drain?

Tungsten, 12-19-2022 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 (Post 4591675)
No floor drain?

Ha I wish. 55 yr old garage floor that has a serious slope to it.

Tungsten, 12-19-2022 08:05 PM

Shop vac. Good idea. With my slope it’s only about an hour after I park I’ll need to suck it up with about a 1” dam.

justsomeguy 12-19-2022 08:55 PM

Squeegee from Home Depot. Had the mats but were a pain. Super slick when wet.

waldedw 12-20-2022 03:53 AM

My garage floor has a sump, everything drains to the middle and I empty it about once a week when it's really sloppy outside, I always make sure to sweep all the snow off any vehicle before it comes in. The sump holds about 2 plastic pails full so 40 liters or so.

Jims83cj5 12-20-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten, (Post 4591620)

If you are getting punctures from gravel on the floor of your garage why wouldn’t you get punctures on the road where the gravel is?

philintheblank 12-20-2022 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justsomeguy (Post 4591715)
Squeegee from Home Depot. Had the mats but were a pain. Super slick when wet.

Use the same thing. The real problem is teaching the wife how to use it. She is the worst for parking inside with all the slush and crap stuck to her car.

Landshark 12-20-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 (Post 4591813)
If you are getting punctures from gravel on the floor of your garage why wouldn’t you get punctures on the road where the gravel is?

I think he means punctures through the mat. Not his tires.

WV911 12-20-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 4591843)
I think he means punctures through the mat. Not his tires.

Ive had my mats for 4 years and no punctures and I have a gravel driveway and I don't need to squeegee or vacuum every time I park

sirmike68 12-20-2022 07:40 PM

Mine slopes to the front and gathers in a pool just in front of the door in a puddle. I faught with it for years until I took my hammer drill out and made a 1/2" hole in the concrete. Now the water drains out the hole. Its been 10 years since with no issues.

Tungsten, 12-21-2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmike68 (Post 4592056)
Mine slopes to the front and gathers in a pool just in front of the door in a puddle. I faught with it for years until I took my hammer drill out and made a 1/2" hole in the concrete. Now the water drains out the hole. Its been 10 years since with no issues.

Thats something Ive considered,similar to my stick that lives under my door.Gives the water a place to go.

dwedmon 12-21-2022 09:17 AM

I use a mat too. I have one that is sold by a supplier in Edmonton that sells Seamax inflatable boats. The mat is the same material as the Seamax boat so it is pretty durable. The mat is double thick where your tires drive over and that helps it stand up to gravel.

You can see the mats at https://kaygeeinflatableboats.com/bo...ntainment-mat/

No visible wear on mine after 2 years of use. Just need to shopvac out the water and gravel about once a week.

bridger2010 12-21-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten, (Post 4591612)
I clean my truck before I park to minimize runoff but I still get a ton of water.Here in Calgary when it gets above zero salt slush covers the entire underside.

I use to run carpet down each side to collect the water/slush.Too much work they get soaked and well you know.

Now my problem is my garage floor has a 1" over 4' slope
to the door.Water collects and runs along to a corner soaking the area.

I use a small piece of wood and close the door on that to divert water outside.

Dont want a big pan as Im always doing projects parking truck outside.

So any ideas how to collect control runoff when the heat is turned on?

I got tired of having a jungle in the garage so I just park outside now.

TyzToyz 12-21-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmike68 (Post 4592056)

I thought about doing this as my garage is 40+ years old and was poured when it was too hot out. Floor is not smooth at all and water collects in several different spots.
My concern was, the water has to go somewhere and I'm worried about washing out under the pad causing it to crack.
Thoughts????

Tye

Masterchief 12-21-2022 08:49 PM

I have had a mat for a few years because the salt was destroying my concrete. It contains everything very well and it's very tough. I squeegee the water off the mat into the driveway. Whenever the mat is dry, I will drop up the gravel and salt. Well with the investment

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

KBF 12-21-2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterchief (Post 4592513)
I have had a mat for a few years because the salt was destroying my concrete. It contains everything very well and it's very tough. I squeegee the water off the mat into the driveway. Whenever the mat is dry, I will drop up the gravel and salt. Well with the investment

Where does one find these mats? Dad looked at Canadian tire and they were sold out. Said they were a seasonal item only. Uhhhh well is this not the season they would be of most use?

Masterchief 12-21-2022 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBF (Post 4592520)
Where does one find these mats? Dad looked at Canadian tire and they were sold out. Said they were a seasonal item only. Uhhhh well is this not the season they would be of most use?

Search Amazon, my father in law bought one a couple months ago, I think it was $250

Masterchief 12-21-2022 09:13 PM

TruContain Containment Mat for Snow Ice Water and Mud -Garage Floor Mat (7'9"x18') https://a.co/d/bLsVdf1

WV911 12-21-2022 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBF (Post 4592520)

Princess Auto, Peavey Mart, Costco, Perfect Surfaces in Airdrie, probably Uncle Weiner