Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Highwood logging to start November 18th. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=333106)

molly 11-10-2017 07:33 AM

Highwood logging to start November 18th.

Well, I guess all the concerns raised by five towns, persistent lobbying by the group "Take a Stand for the Highwood", and thousands of concerned folks signing a petition didn't have any effect. It has been confirmed that logging will start on November 18th, until April 30th, 2018. Thanks, Rachel!!

https://www.facebook.com/stand.highw...type=3&theater

hillbillyreefer 11-10-2017 07:46 AM

Yes thanks Rachel, I’ve never said that before and meant it. Families need groceries and housing, municipalities and higher governments need tax revenue.

It’s nice to see a small amount of economic activity in our Province.

NaturalBornKilla 11-10-2017 08:14 AM

Good, my cousins family will be able to afford groceries and heat this winter.

CaberTosser 11-10-2017 08:23 AM

Trees grow back. Trees create jobs. Jobs feed and house citizens. Eleven words that pretty much decimate the complaint.

NIMBYism at its finest. Somewhat ironic coming from someone who just recently had a housing worry of their own. Shame on the OP for trying to contribute to someone else’s housing crisis by campaigning to unemploy them.

artie 11-10-2017 08:53 AM

I agree with the logging but wish they would strip log it like they did in Star Creek in the Crowsnest Pass. They can take out a plot and leave a plot. After a few years they can go back and take the other strips. Also when planting trees leave some unplanted areas for grass areas so animals have good feed.

3blade 11-10-2017 09:02 AM

Logging good, spraying bad!

Nothing against taking out trees that are sure to be wiped out by beetles and fire anyway, but they should never be allowed to spray carcinogenic herbicides to encourage certain tree species and wipe out others, especially the ones that animals feed on.

st99 11-10-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 3664197)

Nothing against taking out trees that are sure to be wiped out by beetles and fire anyway, but they should never be allowed to spray carcinogenic herbicides to encourage certain tree species and wipe out others, especially the ones that animals feed on.

x2

Flight01 11-10-2017 09:09 AM

I agree with strip logging, and I agree they should not be allowed to spray. I actually can’t believe that spraying is allowed. Poison to kill certain and Brush so that a particular species of tree can thrive ? Also affecting berries that could grow there and lack of some trees will reduce animal forage.

I agree with some of you guys above. Take the teees but do it right and don’t spray poison

I should add that distance from water sources is always a concern. We need to do better at keeping erosionlevels minimal.

molly 11-10-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3664162)
Trees grow back. Trees create jobs. Jobs feed and house citizens. Eleven words that pretty much decimate the complaint.

NIMBYism at its finest. Somewhat ironic coming from someone who just recently had a housing worry of their own. Shame on the OP for trying to contribute to someone else’s housing crisis by campaigning to unemploy them.

NIMBYism? Did I say I was against logging in the first post? I am against the selection of that area as it is literally at the gateway to one of the most scenic routes in the province, and it is right at the headwaters of the Highwood, which will present problems relating to erosion as has been repeatedly stated in numerous articles. Did you read the letters written by the councils of High River, Okotoks, Black Diamond, Turner Valley and Longview to understand their concerns? Over 50 area businesses have also expressed concern, including Udo at Flys' Etc. in High River. I bet the trapper whose line is smack in the middle of the area to be logged is happy about it, too!
To whose housing crisis are you referring? Lots of houses for sale and rent as far as I can see, and how my own previous "housing worry" is connected to this is a mystery.

The Cook 11-10-2017 09:28 AM

Sure wish they'd log around the town of Canmore. It's not a matter of if it burns but when. Seems to me the $45,000,000 the Clown of Tanmore is going to spend on flood mitigation could be better spent on fire mitigation especially after all the fires this past summer and fall.

molly 11-10-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cook (Post 3664218)
Sure wish they'd log around the town of Canmore. It's not a matter of if it burns but when. Seems to me the $45,000,000 the Clown of Tanmore is going to spend on flood mitigation could be better spent on fire mitigation especially after all the fires this past summer and fall.

Bragg Creek had been talking about logging a fire break around the town, but not sure if they ever got anywhere on that. Found this article on the whole fire break thing...

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ded-by-forests

skidderman 11-10-2017 10:06 AM

Nothing wrong with logging. It replaces what forest fires used to do. Get over over it. In 20 years it will be a lush forest again.

matt1984 11-10-2017 11:39 AM

Hopefully the planning is a little better than the logging that was done on Hidden Creek that effectively ruined bull trout spawning habitat. I'm all for logging, until they strip the trees right to the river bank.

TangoKilo 11-10-2017 04:00 PM

I’m very happy to see that they will be logging this particular area!!

LKILR 11-10-2017 07:19 PM

With all the trees available in our province I can't understand the reasoning for logging out areas such as Highwood. After all there are no motorized vehicles allowed there but it's ok to clear cut slopes that are 40% or more. If it were not for them trees High River would have been totally wiped out the last flood.

spirit4u 11-13-2017 07:40 PM

They have also started logging by Willow creek, just North of Indian graves campground. This is the South end of 404. Where does a guy find out what is scheduled to be cut?

molly 11-14-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirt4u (Post 3666811)
They have also started logging by Willow creek, just North of Indian graves campground. This is the South end of 404. Where does a guy find out what is scheduled to be cut?

I think Spray Lakes is logging that, as well as the Sullivan Creek area south of the Sheep River. I believe there are harvest plans you can access on their website.

molly 11-14-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKILR (Post 3664525)
With all the trees available in our province I can't understand the reasoning for logging out areas such as Highwood. After all there are no motorized vehicles allowed there but it's ok to clear cut slopes that are 40% or more. If it were not for them trees High River would have been totally wiped out the last flood.

With all the trees available in BC, I can't understand why they have to cut down any of ours! These logs are being hauled to a Canfor mill in BC...

Okotokian 11-14-2017 12:58 PM

Not crazy about it, but I'm going to look on the bright side... some cut-blocks to hunt the next few years....

CF8889 11-14-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 3664197)

X3

Dark Wing 11-14-2017 05:41 PM

BC logging practices are a little more stringent than Alberta so it will be better for the area. If your worried about spraying why aren't you complaining about farmers, golf courses, neighbors or yourself for that matter.

CF8889 11-14-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Wing (Post 3667535)
BC logging practices are a little more stringent than Alberta so it will be better for the area. If your worried about spraying why aren't you complaining about farmers, golf courses, neighbors or yourself for that matter.

If you're worried about poaching, why aren't you complaining about cars hitting deer, neighbors or yourself for that matter?

Oh right.. just because the system isn't flawless doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make strides in a positive direction.

Dark Wing 11-14-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CF8889 (Post 3667557)
If you're worried about poaching, why aren't you complaining about cars hitting deer, neighbors or yourself for that matter?

Oh right.. just because the system isn't flawless doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make strides in a positive direction.

LOL , Whatever.