Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best place for huge pike. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365468)

Bushleague 06-19-2019 06:57 PM

Best place for huge pike.

The lake trout thread got me thinking, I'm getting pretty close to paying off my mortgage, which will also be close to my 40th birthday and I'm thinking I should maybe treat myself to a fly in trip to celebrate. All I really want to chase is big pike, any recommendations as to where I should go? Thanks.

PerchBuster 06-19-2019 08:15 PM

Lake of the Woods, Tobin Lake/Reservoir Sask, Reindeer Lake Sask, Kasba Lake NWT, Great Slave, all depends on how much you want to spend on treating yourself and what kind of experience you are looking to have of course. But all of these have bigguns. Reindeer, Wolliston and Cree, all those up in that area of north eastern Sask Manitoba border area are probably closest to a sure thing of catching a trophy or master angler class fish but there are many many places to consider other than these as well and I’m sure the forum has a ton of suggestions for you, good luck and post your pics!

Bushleague 06-19-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerchBuster (Post 3991165)
Lake of the Woods, Tobin Lake/Reservoir Sask, Reindeer Lake Sask, Kasba Lake NWT, Great Slave, all depends on how much you want to spend on treating yourself and what kind of experience you are looking to have of course. But all of these have bigguns. Reindeer, Wolliston and Cree, all those up in that area of north eastern Sask Manitoba border area are probably closest to a sure thing of catching a trophy or master angler class fish but there are many many places to consider other than these as well and I’m sure the forum has a ton of suggestions for you, good luck and post your pics!

Well, given the occasion I am ok with spending some money, but of course price is always a factor. I think I'm leaning more towards an outpost camp type deal more than a fancy lodge, as long as I've got a dry place to crash and something to eat I'm happy so long as the pike are big.

spoiledsaskhunter 06-19-2019 09:14 PM

maybe google brabant lodge. it's west of hay river, nt in the mouth of the mckenzie. higher end, but you can catch grayling, walleye, and some monster pike.

Talking moose 06-19-2019 10:24 PM

Cree lake.
Europe if you really wanna go fanatic.

JD848 06-20-2019 02:16 AM

I was at knee lake Manitoba and there' s some very nice pikes in that pond,lots lakes mentioned above were and are fished very hard so there's big pikes ,but your limited to size and pressure.

Knee Lake in Manitoba ,it's full to the top with large pike.If you want to gamble you go to vegas,you want large laker's you go great bear and if you want big pike go to knee lake.

If you want 50 inch plus pike there in knee lake,i know because I released 4 that size in one day,no cuff.I seen lakes with lotsa 40 to 45 inch pike ,but it's very good up there.

Some guys spend 50k on a boat and waste there time year after year,go where the fish are and enjoy a week you will remember for life .

Red Bullets 06-20-2019 02:51 AM

Manitoba, Germany, France or Poland produce some big pike.

http://www.luckylures.nl/esox_lucius_record.php

pikergolf 06-20-2019 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3991278)

Geez, some of those fish would give cause to think about swimming in the lakes they are from.

-JR- 06-20-2019 05:48 AM

Wabasca South

35 whelen 06-20-2019 06:48 AM

CREE LAKE .N SASK ,NWT ,lots of great pike lakes ,lots of camps find what kind of fishing and camp you want ,and then start the calling ,

58thecat 06-20-2019 06:56 AM

I kinda like a road trip up to besnard lake, camp, fish and oh yeah there are some huge pike there.....a heck of a lot cheaper too:sHa_shakeshout:

trophybook 06-20-2019 07:05 AM

Enoda aka trout rock lodge north arm of great slave, was a guide there. 50 in pike no problem seen 1 in the back Bay with eyeballs bigger than golf balls. Over 6ft.

And innconu are big and plentiful

Not cheap by any means but we would keep 38"s for lunch

If you search back to some of my fishing posts there still might be pictures

dodger 06-20-2019 07:07 AM

Sweden

Dodger

guru fisher 06-20-2019 09:05 AM

Talston River and Lac la Martre. Giants there

mooseknuckle 06-20-2019 09:25 AM

pm sent

pinelakeperch 06-20-2019 10:34 AM

If we're talking within North America: https://kesagami.com/

If you're willing to travel anywhere, I would say Scandinavia and Germany, Netherlands, Latvia, etc.

i love fishing 06-20-2019 11:42 AM

Namur

Fishwhere 06-20-2019 12:37 PM

Vegreville pond. Huge pike!!!! Haha jk

Bushleague 06-20-2019 07:12 PM

Yes, Sweden is super high on my list of places I someday hope to fish. Unfortunately I cant see myself having the time to do a proper fishing trip in Europe any time soon. Thinking more along the lines of Sask/ NWT/ Manitoba. Also not opposed to the boat-in camp idea that was brought up, I'm well equipped to do it with plenty of backcountry experience and I like the idea of being able to do it alone or with a smaller group. Getting together a group of people to do a fly in trip for a half reasonable rate is going to be about the biggest problem for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger (Post 3991302)
Sweden

Dodger

Red Bullets 06-20-2019 08:08 PM

While you are planning a proper pike fishing place & trip go to the North Saskatchewan river and practice. I firmly believe there are a big pike that are often overlooked. I have caught several pike between 10 and 20 lbs. with the biggest being 28 lbs.. Those big river pike don't really hang out in back eddies but are more likely to hold behind an obstacle in more of a current. And they are sucking in up to a few pound fish for a meal. They aren't interested in a little 3 inch spoon. Fish accordingly.

I've also seen a 25 lb pike caught right below dickson dam on the Red Deer river too.

RACKER 06-20-2019 08:36 PM

Lake Newell produces a lot of big pike in the winter. Not sure how it does in the summer. I’ve never fished it.

burnme 06-20-2019 08:50 PM

Shadd lake cabins. North of laronge Saskatchewan. Awesome fishing, great people, great food and out in nowhere land! Last time
Out our group caught several 40” plus fish!

fish99 06-20-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACKER (Post 3991581)
Lake Newell produces a lot of big pike in the winter. Not sure how it does in the summer. I’ve never fished it.

caught a 42.5 inch pike 2 weeks ago at newell great for big pike and walleye.

coyoteman 06-20-2019 11:51 PM

Big pike

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 3991285)
Geez, some of those fish would give cause to think about swimming in the lakes they are from.

At the fishing and hunting camp I work at in Ont--On more than one occasion,large walleye have been taken by big pike very close to the net----If they wanted too,they could do some serious damage to a swimmer--never heard of that happening--only to a careless angler.

BuckCuller 06-21-2019 02:21 AM

Sweden or Russia.

Make it an adventure think big.
https://youtu.be/vL2ZHroIG-4
https://youtu.be/EXwVQ_CZq0o

Bushleague 06-21-2019 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3991569)
While you are planning a proper pike fishing place & trip go to the North Saskatchewan river and practice. I firmly believe there are a big pike that are often overlooked. I have caught several pike between 10 and 20 lbs. with the biggest being 28 lbs.. Those big river pike don't really hang out in back eddies but are more likely to hold behind an obstacle in more of a current. And they are sucking in up to a few pound fish for a meal. They aren't interested in a little 3 inch spoon. Fish accordingly.

I've also seen a 25 lb pike caught right below dickson dam on the Red Deer river too.

I live in Widewater, so I don't get out to either of those rivers very much, but I do get to practice quite a bit. Most years I manage to get a couple fish in the 10-15lb range, once in a while something bigger.

I agree with you on the river pike getting overlooked, and as a bonus I firmly believe that river pike, per pound, are noticeably stronger fighters. The problem with river fishing in my experience, is that pike often seem to be about the least plentiful species in the river, and they are rarely evenly dispersed throughout the system. I have holes where I regularly catch pike, and other holes which are almost identical in nature that have never given me even one pike. More frustrating still is the fact that most of my best pike holes are at a confluence which makes them pretty well known. The more subtle spots that less people have the patience to find rarely seem to hold good sized pike in the rivers that I haunt.

In short, while the rewards are for sure there, I do sometimes get frustrated when I spend a day catching 10 walleye to every pike, even when slinging baits in the 5-8" range.

does it ALL outdoors 06-21-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Jebus!

Those are some well fed monsters

Bhflyfisher 06-21-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD848 (Post 3991277)
I was at knee lake Manitoba and there' s some very nice pikes in that pond,lots lakes mentioned above were and are fished very hard so there's big pikes ,but your limited to size and pressure.

Knee Lake in Manitoba ,it's full to the top with large pike.If you want to gamble you go to vegas,you want large laker's you go great bear and if you want big pike go to knee lake.

If you want 50 inch plus pike there in knee lake,i know because I released 4 that size in one day,no cuff.I seen lakes with lotsa 40 to 45 inch pike ,but it's very good up there.

Some guys spend 50k on a boat and waste there time year after year,go where the fish are and enjoy a week you will remember for life .

Lol. I have guided for North Star and North Haven. Knee and Utik Lake. Knee is far from lots of trophy fish. Nothing even remotely close to 50" has been caught in years. Utik, on the other hand, has had some big fish as well as Utik's outpost lake known as bear lake is quite good.

Cree lake is likely the most reliable for big fish.

Smoky buck 06-21-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Wow those are monsters

bertha 06-22-2019 01:49 PM

Loving this thread, very interesting discussionhttp://juragan.club/assets/1/o.png