Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ultimate pike lure (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=34455)

alberta yakfisher 05-30-2009 11:49 PM

ultimate pike lure

Hi folks, im new to the forum, i have been reading it for a couple of weeks & really enjoying the stories & wealth of information on all the good spots & techniques. I thought i would share a really hot lure that i have been having incredible luck on for pike, its the storm wildeye live swimbait in the walleye pattern 3 or 5 inch. Remove the bottom treble hook as this really improves the action & keeps the weeds off, cast er out, retrieve slow & steady & hang on. Was @ rattlesnake res on friday & could not keep them off, must have caught & released @ least 20 intil the 6 wildeyes i had were thrashed & tail-less, good luck & tight lines

P.S sorry if i revealed anyones secret

seahawkfisher 05-31-2009 09:02 AM

soft plastics are really starting to get their niche; the new hollow bodies are great too - you can rig them weedless and have a ton of fun in the shallows!
good to hear you had a great day
cheers

jeprli 05-31-2009 10:15 AM

I use those big storm swimbaits with single hook on the back. They save the day almost every time. Great lure(wholesale had a sale while ago and i picked them clean, redhead, rainbow, and something else, redhead definitely kicks butt)

baitfisher83 05-31-2009 10:25 AM

i found some of the pike look alike sot baits and they were hammering them, till the rocks stole them all, gotta pick some mroe up if i can find them on sale somewhere...

-JR- 05-31-2009 10:43 AM

I had a Rapla that I lost a fighty with,a few weeks back with an old pike . Red head with white body. Been to four major fishing stores already and can't find anything to relace it with ,other than a red jig head with white rubber tail .
Might have the brand mistaken with .
IF anyone has one in there tackle box hold on to it ....it works !

-JR- 05-31-2009 10:51 AM

Just found it on the Ralpa site.
Just have to find it in a store !
But what store ?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...acker/hook.jpg

baitfisher83 05-31-2009 11:04 AM

cant order it online????

-JR- 05-31-2009 11:11 AM

just found one on Ebay $27 plus shipping .

baitfisher83 05-31-2009 11:21 AM

holy crap is it antique or something??lol

madatter 05-31-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alberta yakfisher (Post 328288)
Hi folks, im new to the forum, i have been reading it for a couple of weeks & really enjoying the stories & wealth of information on all the good spots & techniques. I thought i would share a really hot lure that i have been having incredible luck on for pike, its the storm wildeye live swimbait in the walleye pattern 3 or 5 inch. Remove the bottom treble hook as this really improves the action & keeps the weeds off, cast er out, retrieve slow & steady & hang on. Was @ rattlesnake res on friday & could not keep them off, must have caught & released @ least 20 intil the 6 wildeyes i had were thrashed & tail-less, good luck & tight lines

P.S sorry if i revealed anyones secret

How was the size out there???
From what I heard fishing was OK but not much for size.....

alberta yakfisher 05-31-2009 05:13 PM

biggest 1 was about 6 pounds but did have some monsters follow up right to the side of the boat & have a look, tried the old figure 8 with the rod tip but they would just slowly cruise away. I have been having some killer luck on rattlesnake this year for pike , only 1 walleye though, sopposed to be some good ones in there but i cant find them. As for spots im fishing mostly at the islands right at the begining of the main basin by the collony, just after the narrows, fish strictly out of a kayak so i can get into some real shallow un-pressured spots

madatter 05-31-2009 05:17 PM

Before I sold the boat I used to fish Snake pretty hard and I never had any consistent luck with the eyes.
Everybody says they are there but gettin onto them is another story.

walker197 05-31-2009 06:09 PM

those storms work great used them all last year, but the ones i think work even better are the slurpies brand, same set up without the bottom treb, work slick, can't keep the pike off..cheers:)

alberta yakfisher 05-31-2009 06:11 PM

almost all the eyes i catch come out of the good old south sask river, no good for eating but have caught some real footballs as we call em:lol:every fall, love the river

Rob 05-31-2009 06:17 PM

Just started fishing the NSR for Walleye. Any tips for getting those "footballs?"

dodger 05-31-2009 06:19 PM

I wonder if you can troll the Storm Wildeye?? Anyone with experience trolling them.
Dodger.

alberta yakfisher 05-31-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 328533)
Just started fishing the NSR for Walleye. Any tips for getting those "footballs?"

we get mostly all of them with pickrel rigs & salted minnows fished in deep holes on bends in the river. best times down south are when the leaves start to turn color and the water cools down. we do catch them all summer after she's done blowing out, but dont really see the real big ones until the fall. good luck on the ns

alberta yakfisher 05-31-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger (Post 328534)
I wonder if you can troll the Storm Wildeye?? Anyone with experience trolling them.
Dodger.

i have tried trolling them on my way to the spots but have never had a bite, it must have something to do with speed & location as i really work these lures slow, no pauses or twitches though just a real slow steady retrieve with a low rod tip to help with a fast hook set, right after you feel the pop.As for spots im finding the pike stacked up on steep 20ft drop offs & real shallow bays. Good luck

Nationwide 05-31-2009 08:09 PM

[.

WayneChristie 05-31-2009 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
shhhhhh. no wonder they are almost always sold out now! got 11 pike Friday on them, from 4 to 11 1/2 pounds. I have 22 of them hanging on the wall with no tails now, and for the non believers I will take a pic of them and post it . they need a stinger hook im My opinion.

baitfisher83 05-31-2009 10:25 PM

Wayne there is a way to get a stinger hook set up behind the tail, take a large eyed needle<one big enough to fit your line> stick it through the middle of the tail, and run that up to the middle hook attachment, tie it on and then pull it tight through the bottom then attach a hook there, best to remove the treble if they have them though...

Donavonszoo 06-01-2009 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 328613)
shhhhhh. no wonder they are almost always sold out now! got 11 pike Friday on them, from 4 to 11 1/2 pounds. I have 22 of them hanging on the wall with no tails now, and for the non believers I will take a pic of them and post it . they need a stinger hook im My opinion.

Ive caught many of pike on them and one walleye while "trolling", or rather I was to lazy to reel in when I moved the canoe...almost lost my rod that day.
Anyone else hit walleye on them?

Cal 06-01-2009 08:48 AM

Ive caught walleye on them out of the north sask. I dont think they work a whole lot better than a regular jig myself. Find an eddy and cast your hook right over it and into the fast water and just let the current swing it back around into the eddy on a tight line. then either jig it back upstream or drag it allong the bottom depending on the day. I never use a pickerel rig and still get my share of walleye. For trolling jigs or wild eyes troll slowly with the curent and hop the lure along the bottom. If your going upstream use a plug.

bsnyder 06-01-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nationwide (Post 328586)
[.

:)

madatter 06-01-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alberta yakfisher (Post 328544)
we get mostly all of them with pickrel rigs & salted minnows fished in deep holes on bends in the river. best times down south are when the leaves start to turn color and the water cools down. we do catch them all summer after she's done blowing out, but dont really see the real big ones until the fall. good luck on the ns

Knowing where to go is half the battle on the SSR but I have to agree that fall is my favorite time.
I can't even count how many walleye and sturgeon we caught last Sept/Oct........
And we use the same tactics,though with the sturgeon the pickerel rig is a weak point!!

TangoKilo 06-01-2009 08:54 PM

Storm

The STORM WildEye Swim Bait Shad in 4" length is absolutely the ticket for pike!!

The large single hook is great!

WayneChristie 06-01-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitfisher83 (Post 328669)
Wayne there is a way to get a stinger hook set up behind the tail, take a large eyed needle<one big enough to fit your line> stick it through the middle of the tail, and run that up to the middle hook attachment, tie it on and then pull it tight through the bottom then attach a hook there, best to remove the treble if they have them though...

Thanks Baitfisher, I will have to try that. have to find some way to repair the ones I have with no tail, especially since they raised the price at Wallyworld . Ive used these exclusively since I found them, and do pretty good on them, best so far a 20 pound pike and 8 pound walleye. so far :)

DeanP 06-01-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TangoKilo (Post 329161)
The STORM WildEye Swim Bait Shad in 4" length is absolutely the ticket for pike!!

The large single hook is great!

What colour worked best for you?

baitfisher83 06-01-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 329166)
Thanks Baitfisher, I will have to try that. have to find some way to repair the ones I have with no tail, especially since they raised the price at Wallyworld . Ive used these exclusively since I found them, and do pretty good on them, best so far a 20 pound pike and 8 pound walleye. so far :)

yeah those things are friggin expensive, especially if ya lose them on rocks..lol, i picked up another pack of them for if/when i go after pike again, i'd love to try them at glenmore..

zabbo 06-02-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 328407)
Just found it on the Ralpa site.
Just have to find it in a store !
But what store ?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...acker/hook.jpg

Saw this @ WSS on Monday. I believe 4" and 6" versions somewhere from 8 to 15 $. Also had a jointed version I think.