Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Clearwater walleye (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=386140)

Smoky buck 08-14-2020 06:59 PM

Clearwater walleye

Been years since I fished the Clearwater river and had my first successful trip this year but not what I expected. In the past I always caught browns but today I caught a few 16-17inch walleye in the mix. I realize it’s not a real shock with it draining into the NSR

Have walleye become common in the lower Clearwater or did I just have an odd day?

I hope not Alberta doesn’t need more wet sock fishery’s

OL_JR 08-15-2020 07:39 AM

That's interesting, even on the North Sask I don't seem to find to many until fishing quite a bit lower towards the Baptiste. Haven't seen any on the Clearwater but admittedly don't fish it near as much as I used to.

Did you happen to see much for hopper action?

Smoky buck 08-15-2020 08:18 AM

First time I have seen or caught walleye in the Clearwater so it caught me by surprise. But outside of an attempt at an early spring trip this is the first time I have fished it in years

I did not notice many hoppers but I was wading and only came out of the water to walk to the truck. I target the predatory browns with streamers or spinning gear so I don’t really pay attention to the insect life on that river though.

slough shark 08-15-2020 11:57 AM

They’ve been there for years in the lower reaches, caught a number of them probably 20 years ago close to rocky.

Smoky buck 08-15-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slough shark (Post 4219018)
They’ve been there for years in the lower reaches, caught a number of them probably 20 years ago close to rocky.

Are you just coming across the odd school?

I am not that surprised they are around just surprised to catch 4 in 2hrs and a first for me. Add in that it’s been around 12+years I was wondering if they have maybe become a common species in the Clearwater since I last fished it

flyrodfisher 08-15-2020 01:44 PM

Come across them very rarely.
More importantly how were the brownies?
I saw yesterday that the river is clearing up nicely

Smoky buck 08-15-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyrodfisher (Post 4219077)
Come across them very rarely.
More importantly how were the brownies?
I saw yesterday that the river is clearing up nicely

Long wade before getting into any and quality over quantity.

Water clarity is not crystal clear but plenty clear enough

flyrodfisher 08-15-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4219080)
Long wade before getting into any and quality over quantity.

Water clarity is not crystal clear but plenty clear enough

Pretty much my experience as well.

Yup, clearing nicely...looked at it yesterday...but with the hordes of trailers, quads, dirt bikes & kitchen sinks heading west yesterday afternoon, it will be a gong show this weekend.

slough shark 08-15-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4219064)
Are you just coming across the odd school?

I am not that surprised they are around just surprised to catch 4 in 2hrs and a first for me. Add in that it’s been around 12+years I was wondering if they have maybe become a common species in the Clearwater since I last fished it

For what it’s worth I only fished that stretch of the Clearwater A couple times and all about 20 years ago and all I caught was walleye. Once you get further west it’s all trout and I’ve fished that more recently, done ok but usually not great on the Clearwater, biggest brown was around 24 but numbers aren’t as high as other rivers so I don’t fish it as much as others

Smoky buck 08-15-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slough shark (Post 4219281)
For what it’s worth I only fished that stretch of the Clearwater A couple times and all about 20 years ago and all I caught was walleye. Once you get further west it’s all trout and I’ve fished that more recently, done ok but usually not great on the Clearwater, biggest brown was around 24 but numbers aren’t as high as other rivers so I don’t fish it as much as others

Definitely not a river for high numbers but it hides some nice fish. Even years ago I covered a lot of water to get my fish