Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   GoPro Hero 3 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=166345)

Rancid Beat 02-02-2013 07:14 PM

GoPro Hero 3

Hey guys

I want to document my fishing adventures and thought of using the Gopro Hero 3. Any body use this or the HERO HD or HERO 2? How do you like it?

FishingFrenzy 02-02-2013 07:27 PM

My brother has a HD Hero, I had a Hero 2, and now I upgraded to a Hero 3. My best friend also has a Hero 2.

The Gopro cameras are simply, awesome. There is NO better camera on the market, for the same kind of $$. The quality on the hero 3 is amazing and the remote control is very handy. Not to mention the smartphone app works fantastic to aim shots. They are very user friendly and super durable. My only issue is that if you are using the app or the wifi remote, your battery will die FAST! Make sure you turn the wifi off AS SOON AS YOU CAN. I get maybe an hour battery life with the wifi on. Without, a solid 3 hours.

If you get yourself a gorilla pod and a gopro tripod mount, you will be set for most fishing-related filming. If you want to go a little more pro (see what I did there? :sHa_shakeshout:) you can pick up some other mounts, like a chest mount, head mount and rollbar mount so you can mount it right on your rod.

I have nothing but good things to say. Any specific ??? feel free to ask or PM.

'frenzy

Rabdo 02-02-2013 07:32 PM

i got the hero 2, good camera, etc etc etc we all know what the pro's are over these kinda camera

only thing i don't like about it though is you can't see exactly where you're aiming your camera until you view your video at home. unless you buy more accessories

Off in the Bushes 02-02-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy (Post 1831932)
My brother has a HD Hero, I had a Hero 2, and now I upgraded to a Hero 3. My best friend also has a Hero 2.

The Gopro cameras are simply, awesome. There is NO better camera on the market, for the same kind of $$. The quality on the hero 3 is amazing and the remote control is very handy. Not to mention the smartphone app works fantastic to aim shots. They are very user friendly and super durable. My only issue is that if you are using the app or the wifi remote, your battery will die FAST! Make sure you turn the wifi off AS SOON AS YOU CAN. I get maybe an hour battery life with the wifi on. Without, a solid 3 hours.

If you get yourself a gorilla pod and a gopro tripod mount, you will be set for most fishing-related filming. If you want to go a little more pro (see what I did there? :sHa_shakeshout:) you can pick up some other mounts, like a chest mount, head mount and rollbar mount so you can mount it right on your rod.

'frenzy

What phone are you using to get that app I downloaded it and it does not work on my Galaxy 2.

Mikezilk 02-02-2013 08:08 PM

I run 3 Hero 2s while kayak fishing and love using them for fishing. I will be buying a Hero 3 Black soon to round out my fleet. You will ind yourself wanting more than 1 for sure. This year I will have them mounted on my chest, head, net and boat and other places of course. I have Scotty camera mounts for them all and tons of other GoPro mounts.

Get one and start your addiction.

Mikezilk 02-02-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes (Post 1832020)
What phone are you using to get that app I downloaded it and it does not work on my Galaxy 2.

You need to have the wifi back pack or a wifi equipped GoPro

maclennanchris 02-02-2013 08:13 PM

I was given the Black Edition for Christmas....do yourself a favour and order everything from them direct at there website. Almost everything was cheaper and they have all mount and extras in one spot, so you dont have to run from store to store. Only thing they need to start making is a pole mount. Cant wait to start cutting footage together. Did some cool time lapse out at Wab a few weeks ago.

FishingFrenzy 02-02-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes (Post 1832020)

Thats weird...I would have thought it would work flawlessly on that phone. I've got an older low-end android. Its a "Motorola Defy".

http://goproforums.com/forums/gopro-...gopro-hd-hero3 you could try posting on this site to see if anyone has ideas on making it work. You could also contact GoPro directly...?

maclennanchris,

Best pole mount is the handlebar mount attached to a lightweight aluminum ski pole. Can't beat it. There's also this company: http://www.gopole.com/

maclennanchris 02-03-2013 09:39 AM

yeah....looking for something telescopic to attach it to. Something that will fit in my backpack.

grinr 02-03-2013 10:48 AM

Anybody using Drift brand cameras and how do they compare to GoPro?I'm gonna pick one or the other in the near future,just looking for feedback from experience with Drift?

JaredAnderson 02-03-2013 12:02 PM

This is what I have been using for something telescopic with my goPro and it works great.
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/...sf484c6e1.jpeg
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/...sf234dec5.jpeg
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/...sefea73d0.jpeg

The painters pole is this one : http://www.homedepot.ca/product/easy...on-pole/959739

The extension piece I found at Rona, I can't seem to find it on the site though. And then I drilled a hole through a PVC cap and then epoxied the screw in and then just attached the tripod mount.

This is fairly cheap and is heavy duty and works great for under water shots.

superuke 02-03-2013 02:17 PM

Got myself a video light made for the Go Pro at Underwater Kinetics Canada in Edmonton. Comes in a kit with a case, extension arm and light. Also picked up a waterproof case with custom made foam for the Go Pro paid $20 for the case at the same place. The same case on line in the US is $60.

Off in the Bushes 02-04-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy (Post 1832105)
Thats weird...I would have thought it would work flawlessly on that phone. I've got an older low-end android. Its a "Motorola Defy".

http://goproforums.com/forums/gopro-...gopro-hd-hero3 you could try posting on this site to see if anyone has ideas on making it work. You could also contact GoPro directly...?

Well with some investigating I was able to get the app to work.
Thanks

Guitarplayingfish 02-04-2013 04:30 PM

I have been told that the Go Pro 3 has such a high resolution no monitor will work for it.

I just ordered myself the only (literally, I couldn't find any other one) Hero 2 I could find... 200$ cheaper then Hero 3, and basically does the same thing. Hero 2 is now discontinued... I had a hell of a time finding one. I suggest if you can find one, pick it up.. But chances are slim at this point.

Bhflyfisher 02-04-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish (Post 1834924)
I have been told that the Go Pro 3 has such a high resolution no monitor will work for it.

I just ordered myself the only (literally, I couldn't find any other one) Hero 2 I could find... 200$ cheaper then Hero 3, and basically does the same thing. Hero 2 is now discontinued... I had a hell of a time finding one. I suggest if you can find one, pick it up.. But chances are slim at this point.

Yeah the 1440p will not show up any different then 1080p on a monitor. The "cinema" quality is a stupid money grab they threw in. Honestly, unless you're shooting video for the big screen, 1440p is ridiculous. Even when on a massive screen say at a movie theater, 1080 wont look different enough from 1440 to be worth it.

On another note, I think its just garbage that they released the hero 3's right before christmas knowing full well they had issues. Terrible marketing on their part. My hero 2 does the job it needs to do, and thats with a snake river flat lens for underwater, and using it for point of view if hands are being used for climbing or what not. Other then that, anything i can shoot with my DSLR or camera, will take precedence over the go pro. Because the quality of video you get from a gopro just isnt what they make it out to be. If you dont believe me match its footage up to footage of a real camera with the same "specs", and there is just no comparison.

Rancid Beat 02-05-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher (Post 1835034)
Yeah the 1440p will not show up any different then 1080p on a monitor. The "cinema" quality is a stupid money grab they threw in. Honestly, unless you're shooting video for the big screen, 1440p is ridiculous. Even when on a massive screen say at a movie theater, 1080 wont look different enough from 1440 to be worth it.

On another note, I think its just garbage that they released the hero 3's right before christmas knowing full well they had issues. Terrible marketing on their part. My hero 2 does the job it needs to do, and thats with a snake river flat lens for underwater, and using it for point of view if hands are being used for climbing or what not. Other then that, anything i can shoot with my DSLR or camera, will take precedence over the go pro. Because the quality of video you get from a gopro just isnt what they make it out to be. If you dont believe me match its footage up to footage of a real camera with the same "specs", and there is just no comparison.

Very true. They edit their videos heavily.

Rancid Beat 02-05-2013 10:12 AM

I have this guy offering me a Hero 3 Silver Edition for 280 bucks brand new sealed in box. Should I bite the bullet?! Convince me that I won't regret it! Do you guys find it to be that kind of toy that you just can't put down?

Bhflyfisher 02-05-2013 02:40 PM

You're saving about 20 dollars. Go for it if you really want one.

I'd just look into buying a hero 2 off kijiji, they can be had for pretty cheap.

FishingFrenzy 02-05-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rancid Beat (Post 1835946)
I have this guy offering me a Hero 3 Silver Edition for 280 bucks brand new sealed in box. Should I bite the bullet?! Convince me that I won't regret it! Do you guys find it to be that kind of toy that you just can't put down?

Silver edition is basically the same as a Hero 2, unless your buying for the wifi feature, or the compact size.

drock0802 02-06-2013 09:31 AM

i have a hero 3 and i bring it with me everytime i go fishing, i only shoot in 1080 @ 60fps and its all i need to get clear video when i have a tight line.

make sure u get a headmount or a chest mount, i mount mine to my vest and keep my remote on my wrist

Rancid Beat 02-06-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drock0802 (Post 1837484)
i have a hero 3 and i bring it with me everytime i go fishing, i only shoot in 1080 @ 60fps and its all i need to get clear video when i have a tight line.

make sure u get a headmount or a chest mount, i mount mine to my vest and keep my remote on my wrist

What edition do you have? Black, silver or white?

Albertafisher 02-06-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy (Post 1831932)

'frenzy

I love my hero 2 :) Picture quality is fairly decent and allows me to take fishing photos on solo trips (using the time-lapse option set to 1 picture/0.5 seconds) but a Gorilla pod or tripod is a MUST for this to actually be successful.

drock0802 02-07-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rancid Beat (Post 1837679)
What edition do you have? Black, silver or white?

i have a black edition