Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Joussard or Canyon Creek ? - Lesser Slave Lake (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=358892)

Jawjacker 02-03-2019 10:24 PM

Joussard or Canyon Creek ? - Lesser Slave Lake

Planing a trip to Lesser Slave Lake first week in March. Hopefully by then the fishing will turn around. Question is , Joussard or Canyon Creek? Which area would you fish? :thinking-006: Thanks in advance guys.

GMX 02-04-2019 06:41 AM

Joussard has always been slow fishing for me in the winter if those are the options your looking at I’d head to canyon.

blgoodbrand1 02-04-2019 07:25 AM

Both can be great and both can be slow. Best to get reports right before you head up and see where it’s happening. Also it’s only a short jaunt from one to the other, so you can always hit them both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOGFISH 02-04-2019 11:29 AM

Hard to tell which will be best on a year like this. Too early to decide, things are supposed to pick up at Canyon Creek in February, time will tell.

slingshotz 02-04-2019 11:24 PM

We just spent this last weekend at a cabin at Canyon Creek (yes it was brutally cold!). Between the four of us and about 10 others in the other cabins over two days, there was I think ONE burbot landed. We saw some fish on the camera but almost all of them were just slowly cruising and not interested in anything at all we were offering. Might be the cold spell but we did hear that the fishing was slow the previous week too.

Maybe a warm sunny spell might bring them active again later in the month. The other problem right now is that the snow buried the lake with about 1-2 feet of snow, so you'll either need a sled or a truck with really good clearance to get anywhere off the packed down trail.

Jawjacker 02-05-2019 10:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Slow fishing seems to be Alberta wide. I heard a rumor it was do the late freeze that initiated a Shrimp and Sand Beetle surplus . The fish have plenty to eat . That's fishing. Tight lines. :cheers:

lastlatvian 02-05-2019 02:00 PM

Went out last weekend and caught three lakers in under a hour, no one else on the lake. I don't think it is slow this time a year, just a little chilly on the eye balls.

old dog 02-05-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlatvian (Post 3925818)
Went out last weekend and caught three lakers in under a hour, no one else on the lake. I don't think it is slow this time a year, just a little chilly on the eye balls.

Does Lesser Slave have lakers? Never heard of them being there. Doesn’t even show them in the Regs

blgoodbrand1 02-05-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old dog (Post 3925943)
Does Lesser Slave have lakers? Never heard of them being there. Doesn’t even show them in the Regs

Not since the 40s

Jawjacker 02-05-2019 11:32 PM

Has anyone done well at Slave this Ice Fishing season ? Or is the best yet to come !!!!!!!!!

lastlatvian 02-06-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old dog (Post 3925943)

Oh sorry wasn't at lesser slave was at spray I was just commenting on the bite cycle -- thought you guys were talking lunar.

slingshotz 02-06-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawjacker (Post 3925636)
Thanks for the feedback guys. Slow fishing seems to be Alberta wide. I heard a rumor it was do the late freeze that initiated a Shrimp and Sand Beetle surplus . The fish have plenty to eat . That's fishing. Tight lines. :cheers:

That actually makes sense, at night there were what seemed to be millions of shrimp in the water. If I was a fish, I would just glide through the water with my mouth open and eat, no need to chase anything.

DOGFISH 02-09-2019 10:18 AM

Warning!!!

Warning fishing is slow again this weekend at Canyon Creek. First year the shack has been placed there and it has not been impressive. Have had better luck at Driftpile, I sure hope it picks up. You know fishing is slow when you get excited to catch a legal pike and two burbot after a day of fishing on Slave. Still better than working.:scared0018:

Jawjacker 02-09-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOGFISH (Post 3928164)
Warning fishing is slow again this weekend at Canyon Creek. First year the shack has been placed there and it has not been impressive. Have had better luck at Driftpile, I sure hope it picks up. You know fishing is slow when you get excited to catch a legal pike and two burbot after a day of fishing on Slave. Still better than working.:scared0018:

I was hoping by now the fishing would of turned around. Slave lake is having a rough one.

DOGFISH 02-13-2019 12:44 AM

Headed up to Canyon Creek again. Any reports if the fishing has picked up. Thanks in advance. Dogfish

Hartly 02-16-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOGFISH (Post 3930216)
Headed up to Canyon Creek again. Any reports if the fishing has picked up. Thanks in advance. Dogfish

How’s the fishing so far DOGFISH?

timsesink 02-16-2019 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our whole group limited on walleye on the West side on Thursday/Friday. :-)

blgoodbrand1 02-17-2019 06:03 AM

Anyone getting steady ling’er action yet?

Jawjacker 02-17-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsesink (Post 3932283)
Our whole group limited on walleye on the West side on Thursday/Friday. :-)

Nice looking Walleye Timsesink.

DOGFISH 02-18-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartly (Post 3931838)
How’s the fishing so far DOGFISH?

Still poor at best. Not even seeing much on the flasher at night or the camera during the day. Ice was noisey last night and hopefully stirs things up a bit. Dogfish

Jawjacker 02-18-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOGFISH (Post 3933349)
Still poor at best. Not even seeing much on the flasher at night or the camera during the day. Ice was noisey last night and hopefully stirs things up a bit. Dogfish

Sorry to hear that DOGFISH. I was hoping the fishing by now would of gotten better. Were you at Canyon?

DOGFISH 02-19-2019 07:50 AM

Yes @ Canyon for 3 days. Did not get tired from hauling fish in that's for sure. Still had a great time but it was more like winter camping not ice fishing. Did not look like many being caught as even the Ravens were not flying around looking for a free meal.

DOGFISH 03-04-2019 08:23 PM

Looking for fishing reports on Canyon Creek lately. Has been really slow so far and are headed up next Monday. Looking for any info on the area. Thanks Dogfish

Jawjacker 03-04-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOGFISH (Post 3941711)
Looking for fishing reports on Canyon Creek lately. Has been really slow so far and are headed up next Monday. Looking for any info on the area. Thanks Dogfish

Would like to know also. Heading out the last weekend of the season.

Lowrance Fishburn 03-05-2019 10:06 AM

Last weekend as in end of March? you may be lucky if there is no flood water. All it takes are a couple of warm days and the top layers of snow to melt and you get 3-4 inches of slush soup on top of the ice and thats it for Ice fishing. Im planning on heading that way on the 15th and thats pushing it.

DRE75 03-05-2019 10:24 AM

Was out on the lake on the cabin side of Hilliards Bay, spent Mon-wed in a shack there and was slow going, we caught a few small pike and a walleye between 4 of us for 2.5 days fishing, in about 25' FOW. Not exactly a lot of action but the beer was cold and the camera showed there was lots of movement and fish down there.

Saw burbot, walleye, jack and a few whitefish cruising around... in a few months it'll be hopping for sure.

chad66 03-05-2019 10:26 AM

Yes, but it really depends on the year..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn (Post 3941923)
Last weekend as in end of March? you may be lucky if there is no flood water. All it takes are a couple of warm days and the top layers of snow to melt and you get 3-4 inches of slush soup on top of the ice and thats it for Ice fishing. Im planning on heading that way on the 15th and thats pushing it.

We pulled onto the ice March 30 last year it was -29. There wasn't any slush or water.

Every year is different.

DOGFISH 03-05-2019 07:03 PM

Doesn't sound like many fish being caught or seen at Canyon Creek?????

Lowrance Fishburn 03-08-2019 10:45 AM

Any updates on fishing conditions near the narrows or Canyon creek? What do you guys think about ice conditions for next weekend? Think it will be manageable? supposed to head up next friday but with the warm weather im worried about it being too wet. What do you guys think?

7magtime 03-12-2019 07:55 AM

Can anyone provide an update on how truck access is and if fishing action has picked up yet for Canyon Creek/Narrows/Joussard areas, thanks.