Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Removable Magazine? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=10239)

ElkCanyon 01-12-2008 12:29 PM

Removable Magazine?

Anyone know of of a removable magazine available for a Weatherby Vanguard 22-250? I was out dog hunting last weekend and absolutely hate the bottom, swing door design. Rifle shoots great, but loading from the top is a PIA with my big fingers and scope in the way.

willy 01-12-2008 12:37 PM

open bottom with gun upside down bolt closed put your shells in close bottom you are ready to hunt.

catnthehat 01-12-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willy (Post 95860)
open bottom with gun upside down bolt closed put your shells in close bottom you are ready to hunt.

I heard about that somewhere??!!:D :lol:
Cat

ElkCanyon 01-12-2008 02:20 PM

Hearing about it, doing it, still doesn't mean it's a PIA, doesn't conform to nearly every other rifle that I own, and doesn't help with locating what I was asking for.

I asked a question to get some true info if anyone had any. If not, fine. If nothing is available, no problem.

I didn't ask for stupid answers or remarks.:rolleye2:

Dick284 01-12-2008 02:30 PM

Sorry to say I dont think there are any readily available clip conversions for the Weatherby/ Howa rifles.
If it is any help, follow the upside down idea.

ElkCanyon 01-12-2008 02:38 PM

Now, having not needed the services of any gunsmiths in a really long time, are there any around Edmonton that would be up to the task to making one, or would the cost exceed the price of the rifle?

Dick284 01-12-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElkCanyon (Post 95902)
Now, having not needed the services of any gunsmiths in a really long time, are there any around Edmonton that would be up to the task to making one, or would the cost exceed the price of the rifle?

Yup likely you could sell the Howa, and buy something in a DM and still come out on top, compared to getting something built or re worked. Think a minimum of $50.00/hr, and it wont get done in 8 hrs either.
Look at a Tikka, (not my first choice but everyone loves em for some reason), or a Rem 700 SPS DM.
Sell the Howa, buy a new DM model and be done with it.

roger 01-12-2008 02:52 PM

road huntings' greatest invention

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243997
even this guy had the same question and know one could help him.
ive tryed for the wby mark 5's and nothing. (i do realize yours is a howa)
dick is faster typer, i would have said same.
if its that much of a problem maybe spoon feeding it will have to do or regretfully its maybe time for a new pistola with a dm or at least the option to buy an aftermarket DM.

and what stupid answer was made willys or the cats??!?

ElkCanyon 01-12-2008 02:58 PM

I'm not sure on going as far as selling it. I'm getting good, very good, groupings with it which makes me happy for stumbling on one of those deals one really couldn't refuse.

As stated, I don't own a rifle that doesn't have a DM. Maybe I don't like change, but I just wanted to put some feelers out if anything was available. If there is nothing, then no issue. I'll just learn to live with it. I was figruing maybe someone on the off chance had something like that done.

pantannojack 01-12-2008 03:35 PM

I saw an ad for a 20 rnd trench mag for 1903 Springfield @ 4,000 USD. I think it may be available for a very long time.

willy 01-12-2008 06:17 PM

WTF just gave you an idea to try to make it easier to load no scope in the way which is the reason you said for not liking the hinged floor plate. Wanna sell the rifle ?

Mad_Mikee 01-12-2008 10:10 PM

I was playing around on the weatherby website the other day and checking out custom rifles. One of the options you can choose is a detachable magazine. Maybe you can get a floorplate and mag from weatherby directly?

Just an idea.

stubblejumper 01-12-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Maybe you can get a floorplate and mag from weatherby directly?
And maybe the parts will even be less than the price of the rifle?:D

ElkCanyon 01-13-2008 09:19 AM

I was looking around their website myself I couldn't find a reference specific to my rifle. I'll have to phone them as I couldn't find an email address either, so I posed the question here.

raised by wolves 01-13-2008 10:54 AM

after market parts

There is a conversion kit out there. I was rooting around on Amazon.com a mont6h or so back, looking for the magazine kit for my Remington 700. I can't remember the website or the name of the vendor, but they did carry a drop in magazine kit.

Keep searching, it does exist.

I have a collection of removable magazines that I only started 2 seasons back. In 108 this past season, it seems every time my buddy and I walked a fenceline, opened a gate, or crossed a coulee, we found another magazine. Do you really want that on a hunting rifle?

ElkCanyon 01-13-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raised by wolves (Post 96240)
There is a conversion kit out there. I was rooting around on Amazon.com a mont6h or so back, looking for the magazine kit for my Remington 700. I can't remember the website or the name of the vendor, but they did carry a drop in magazine kit.

Keep searching, it does exist.

I have a collection of removable magazines that I only started 2 seasons back. In 108 this past season, it seems every time my buddy and I walked a fenceline, opened a gate, or crossed a coulee, we found another magazine. Do you really want that on a hunting rifle?

Better than dropping individual little 22-250 shells in the snow from my big fingers. Besides, I'd rather have the noise of one little click to remove / insert a DM, than the jingle jangle that occurs from loading / removing through the floor plate for those fence line crossings. I take pride in being quiet.

Too bad you can't remember the website.....if you have a revelation, let me know.

Newfie Gunner 02-04-2010 08:17 PM

They do have a DM for the Weatherby. Here us the link for it:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=179738

Now, if they would just make one in 257 Wby Mag with a silver finish I would be quite happy!!!

Hope that I have helped you out.

Regards,
Steve