Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Dumb question (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=425388)

densa44 09-18-2023 08:27 AM

Dumb question

I want to use a dry fly as an indicator and fish a nymph under the fly. I have been laying out a line for 70 years, wow where did the time go?

Here are the questions:

How do I ty the dropper and the dry fly on my line?
I use barbless hooks, I haven't kept a fish in over 40 years.

I would like to use either an elk hair caddis or a hopper as the indicator fly and it my attract a strike.

I have purchased, not tied a number of bead head nymphs that I'd like to try.

I don't want my line all tangled, or the nymph sinking my dry fly.

I'd appreciate all the help that I can get. I started off with a $10.00 glass rod from CTC that was so soft all I could do was make very short casts with my silk fly line and roll casts with a wet fly.

zabbo 09-18-2023 08:49 AM

I fish this set up all the time. Usually some type of hopper with another dry or bead head nymph below. Improved clinch knot tied to the bottom of the hopper hook and the same knot for the eyelets on both hooks. This rig can be a real pain if it's the least bit windy, or if you get sloppy with a cast. The dropper can be tied whatever length you wish, but generally the longer it is the more issues you will have. When it gets tangled it will not be easy to get sorted out. On too many occasions I have resorted to using the clippers, cutting the hopper from the tippet and starting again. That said, I have caught many fish on the dropper! Hope that helps and good luck! :)

1 eye 09-18-2023 01:11 PM

If you go to u tube and ask it will show you step by step, tight lines.

Lornce 09-18-2023 07:25 PM

The only downside is that if you tie a dropper on a barbless hook, it will often slide off. the way to avoid it is to tie your dropper on your leader above the fly with a cinch knot. Use this often when guiding.

3blade 09-18-2023 08:10 PM

I severely dislike tying to the bend of a hook. Even if it stays attached (it won’t), it seems to tangle much easier. Plus it wrecks the action of your dry. Tie your dropper to your leader.

You pretty much need foam to float a size 14 nymph, or a massive stimulator. If you use something like a EHC you’re gonna be reapplying floatant every 2 casts even with a size 18-20 dropper.

Big yellow foam hoppers are made for this. The real thing does all kinds of weird movements so you can get away with a lot.

Remember that fluorocarbon sinks and mono floats. That does not mean one goes in any particular place, but you can use it to manipulate how your rig is working.

lannie 09-19-2023 07:50 AM

With a couple hooks on the line and casting difficulties would it not be better suited to a casting rod with a bobber? Indicator or bobber are both strike indicators and depth setters. I think Izaak Walton is rolling in his grave....

densa44 09-20-2023 09:37 AM

Lornce idea

I’m going to try to tie the dropper on my tippet about one foot above the hopper. I’m a bit worried that it will be like casting an apple on a string but I want to thank everyone who has helped.

Don Andersen 09-20-2023 09:59 PM

The are several ways to do this.
1) tie to the tag end of either a blood knot or double surgeons
2) put the leader through the dry fly eye and tie your tippet below
3) or tie nymph tippet to hook bend

nicholast 11-24-2023 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Andersen (Post 4662208)

You got it right

Dogmatixx 12-09-2023 01:54 AM

Don Andersen should teach fly fishing courses. He nailed it. Took me a few seasons to get that down. :sign0087:

thumper 12-09-2023 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Andersen (Post 4662208)

Door #2 is my preferred solution. If the floater slides up the leader a little bit, - no big deal.

orvisman 12-14-2023 05:59 PM

Whenever I fish droppers I tie the tippet off the bend of the dry. It shouldn’t come off if you tie a decent clinch knot. As far as casting, you have to be smooth and open up your loop a little so it doesn’t tangle. No super tight loops.

58thecat 12-15-2023 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orvisman (Post 4684087)
Whenever I fish droppers I tie the tippet off the bend of the dry. It shouldn’t come off if you tie a decent clinch knot. As far as casting, you have to be smooth and open up your loop a little so it doesn’t tangle. No super tight loops.

Agree....still working on the casting method:)

BungMan 12-16-2023 03:18 PM

It seems I am alone in promoting the use of tippet rings for this purpose.
I have used all of the other prescribed methods and have found that tippet rings are the most efficient method.
Not trying to say that the other methods are not effective, but surprised that tippet rings aren't part of the conversation.:confused:

Don Andersen 12-16-2023 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BungMan (Post 4684606)
It seems I am alone in promoting the use of tippet rings for this purpose.
I have used all of the other prescribed methods and have found that tippet rings are the most efficient method.
Not trying to say that the other methods are not effective, but surprised that tippet rings aren't part of the conversation.:confused:

How would you attach to the ring? A dropper?

Don

BungMan 12-16-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Andersen (Post 4684629)
How would you attach to the ring? A dropper?

Don

Simon Gawesworth (Rio Ambassador) explains this clearly:

https://youtu.be/k_8TB-k2IPk?si=1bCIrDu_VFnWNzwk

The advantage of a tippet ring is that your leader can last indefinitely.

Mr Flyguy 12-18-2023 05:31 PM

I believe everything that Bungman posts. :test:

BungMan 12-18-2023 11:03 PM

I believe everything that Mr. Flyguy posts.:test:

Don Andersen 12-23-2023 01:24 PM

Gotta give it to Rio. They presented all the info I’d already posted except for the tippet ring which I don’t use.
They did miss one method though.

Don