Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chestermere lake (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=38726)

Rapala 08-08-2009 07:30 PM

Chestermere lake

Hi all,

i just had some quetions about this lake since our family is planning to go

there for some fishing

1. Is this lake accessible with an inflatable boat?

2. What kind of fish does this lake have??

Any advice much appreciated!!

baitfisher83 08-08-2009 07:34 PM

this lake is accessible from quite a few spots with an inflatable, try not to launch it at the boat launch as they'll attempt to soak you for launching fees<an outrageous 40 bucks!> there's pike in there, supposed to be perch but i've never seen anyone catch any. As for bait the usual pike lures work, the best one i've found for this place is storm wildeye pike....but it's extremely weedy at this time of the year so it would likely be best to fish out in deeper areas.....be careful around the powerboaters/seedooers, there's alot of ignorant ones at this lake with no respect for anyone else......

Rapala 08-08-2009 07:41 PM

thanks for the tips:D and do they really charge you 40 bucks to launch a boat??:mad2::mad2:

baitfisher83 08-08-2009 07:43 PM

yeah thats the day use fee, been thinkin of sneaking my inflatable out on the other side of the bridge....lol they cant patrol it that much...i'm not sure if thats just the rate for motorized vehicles though

DarkAisling 08-20-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitfisher83 (Post 364696)
yeah thats the day use fee, been thinkin of sneaking my inflatable out on the other side of the bridge....lol they cant patrol it that much...i'm not sure if thats just the rate for motorized vehicles though

They only charge you for using the launch: $40 for a boat, and $30 for a jet ski. If you can get your canoe/kayak/inflatable in the water on the other side of the bridge without using the launch there is no fee.

Battery 08-21-2009 12:42 AM

and if you dont want to deal with the lake (maybe too many people on it etc.) you can go into the canals leading into the lake and fish right under the train bridge, we go and catch tons of pike in there just using rapala's with a perch design. We've always had more luck in the canals than in the actual lake. Good luck!

rewepython 09-02-2009 08:53 PM

pike and stuff

Yo Baitfisher. There are perch in Chestermere. I have fished that lake for years and have only seen one come out. My fishing buddy had snagged it by the tail by accident! It was a pretty good sized one at that. I hadn't fished there for a few years, and when I went back I was horrified to see the fees!
I have a copy of their local paper somewhere around here with the fees listed, and i dont think anybody would have any problems launching an inflatable. They are really after the big boats and seadoers....who are rather ignorant....i use waders and walk in.......thanks for the hot tip about the train bridge, going to try it next week i think.
On a final note, where do you get your storm wildeyes around here? I hate driving from place to place and knowing where im heading in advance would be cool. thanks

baitfisher83 09-02-2009 09:00 PM

which pattern are you looking for?????the fishin hole carries almost all of them i think

rewepython 09-03-2009 09:24 AM

pike lures

lookin for the storm wildeye pike lure. might try the perch as well.

marlin1 09-03-2009 10:22 AM

picked mine up a canadian tire, haven't tried them yet . Also saw a big perch caught there but it was at least 15 years ago .

Fantastic 09-03-2009 02:43 PM

Don't bother with the chestermere canals battery was talking about. It's been fished out, used to catch tons of pike with him there but the last 3 or 4 times I've went in the last couple of weeks there's been nothing.
Either overfished or the pike have moved elsewhere.

Battery 09-03-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantastic (Post 382123)
Don't bother with the chestermere canals battery was talking about. It's been fished out, used to catch tons of pike with him there but the last 3 or 4 times I've went in the last couple of weeks there's been nothing.
Either overfished or the pike have moved elsewhere.

or youre a horrible fisherwoman :lol:

Fantastic 09-03-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

or youre a horrible fisherwoman
Who outfishes you every time. In quantity and quality

Battery 09-03-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantastic (Post 382351)
Who outfishes you every time. In quantity and quality

:lol::lol::lol::lol: name one time mrs. spend 10 days in ontario and can't catch a bass

Fantastic 09-03-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battery (Post 382359)
:lol::lol::lol::lol: name one time mrs. spend 10 days in ontario and can't catch a bass

I am not a women. And the world record walleye outta pine coulee

rewepython 09-04-2009 10:14 PM

pike

snagged a nice pike in chestermere.....mid lake on thursday....not quite the 63 cm required, but i am a release sort a guy any way....my second was a hammer handle which i managed to release alive.....both on panther martin....bought my wildeyes at fishin hole and am not itching to try the lil buggers

rewepython 09-04-2009 10:15 PM

typo

i am ithing to try them......never drink and type!

rewepython 09-04-2009 10:16 PM

aw man

itching to try them.....proof read people!

epicangler 08-02-2013 06:03 PM

can you eat pike from there??????

BeeGuy 08-02-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epicangler (Post 2062352)
can you eat pike from there??????

You can eat a pike from anywhere you can legally harvest one.

Check the reg's.

(gross)

epicangler 08-02-2013 11:49 PM

the best spot is probably the irrigation canal where the pike are

epicangler 08-02-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeGuy (Post 2062362)
You can eat a pike from anywhere you can legally harvest one.

Check the reg's.

(gross)

is the water too gross or not

BeeGuy 08-03-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epicangler (Post 2062672)
is the water too gross or not

as long as there are no advisories, I guess that is a personal choice as to what constitutes quality table fare.

epicangler 08-04-2013 12:24 AM

looks clean enough

epicangler 08-04-2013 09:24 PM

Saw a pike but no bites in irrigation canal current dragged spoon around caught weeds, but a guy at a bay caught a nice pike or two. Pls help really want one

Gslice 08-04-2013 10:30 PM

I've caught several medium sized pikes both at the inlet and outlet of the lake on the south side. Oddly enough, I've also caught a 27" rainbow trout at the outlet as well believe it or not with shrimp. Those are good spots to start.

Some notes:
Inlet canal is very prone to snagging. Large rocks. I used to drop a pick rig down there with minnows or smelts and get great results.

Outlet canal is very shallow most of the time. You can literally see the bottom of the canal bed and often the fish.

Another good place is the dam on 17th ave. I've never caught any there, but have seen a lot of dead pikes on the rocks.

Chestermere is great for first timers. A lot of fish, and pikes will attack anything. Whether you keep any fish out of that filthy water is up to you, even though most of the pikes I've caught there are medium large at best (nothing >= 63cm).... Although I was told by another fishermen that the outlet of the canal is not considered a part of Chestermere lake, and you can keep any fish of any size caught in the outlet canal.... Not sure if this is true or not.

epicangler 08-04-2013 11:50 PM

but its very swift around the bay at the canal are you saying I should try further down the canal, maybe its more smooth? btw nice rainbow, must be from br

epicangler 08-05-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gslice (Post 2064396)
I've caught several medium sized pikes both at the inlet and outlet of the lake on the south side. Oddly enough, I've also caught a 27" rainbow trout at the outlet as well believe it or not with shrimp. Those are good spots to start.

Some notes:
Inlet canal is very prone to snagging. Large rocks. I used to drop a pick rig down there with minnows or smelts and get great results.

Outlet canal is very shallow most of the time. You can literally see the bottom of the canal bed and often the fish.

Another good place is the dam on 17th ave. I've never caught any there, but have seen a lot of dead pikes on the rocks.

Chestermere is great for first timers. A lot of fish, and pikes will attack anything. Whether you keep any fish out of that filthy water is up to you, even though most of the pikes I've caught there are medium large at best (nothing >= 63cm).... Although I was told by another fishermen that the outlet of the canal is not considered a part of Chestermere lake, and you can keep any fish of any size caught in the outlet canal.... Not sure if this is true or not.

which one is the oulet or inlet? west or east one?

epicangler 08-05-2013 10:26 PM

I saw a guy that caught one and he used bait and also when's the best time for pike?

Ruger1022 08-05-2013 11:06 PM

I wouldn't bother with an inflatable, I go out there quite a bit and there is heavy boat traffic(hence the outrageous launch fee). The only safe place to be on the lake with an inflatable would be the far SW end of the lake.
You could shore fish the SE and SW end of the lake and you would catch just as many as you would on an inflatable.

Good luck
stay safe