Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Scope deals to good to be true? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=329403)

Heyupduck 09-15-2017 04:58 PM

Scope deals to good to be true?

I am looking at the Bass pro web site, and even if you add 20% for the currency conversion the Leupolds VX1's there are still 65% of the price of cabellas

They say they ship to Canada... Is there something going on?

I am so close to buying, but am just wondering want the catch is

3x9 x 50mm cabellas $529cnd
Bass pro $279 (US?) which is $340 cnd

4x12 40mm
$279 - $340cnd

cabellas $589 - WTF????

teledogs 09-15-2017 05:15 PM

I believe they can't ship scopes across the border

Dweb 09-15-2017 05:17 PM

I tried buying one from optics planet and wouldn't ship optics here so I think he is correct

Dick284 09-15-2017 05:22 PM

Scopes are ITAR controlled items. Without filing the necessary paperwork for import and export, you never land one of them off a US site.

Heyupduck 09-15-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 3622987)
Scopes are ITAR controlled items. Without filing the necessary paperwork for import and export, you never land one of them off a US site.

makes sense...thanks..damn, I wish I would have bought one when i was in the states

Carriertxv 09-15-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyupduck (Post 3622991)
makes sense...thanks..damn, I wish I would have bought one when i was in the states

Yup but if Homeland Security caught you bringing it back you'd be with Bubba. It's so #%^*ing stupid but its the way it is.

Dick284 09-15-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyupduck (Post 3622991)

Possessing one without the proper documents in place is a violation of US law.
Exporting requires legal rangling too.

Get stopped in an exit check by US authorities and you risk loosing your scope(best case) or even an entry ban back into the US(possible case) or all 3 plus a visit to a US Prison.(worst case, highly unlikely unless.....)

Mateo 09-15-2017 09:50 PM

Curious if you could have an American friend bring it up on his gun. Remove scope, he returns with old gun that still has iron sights. Surely this has been done?

elkhunter11 09-15-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo (Post 3623139)
Curious if you could have an American friend bring it up on his gun. Remove scope, he returns with old gun that still has iron sights. Surely this has been done?

Of course it can be done. It would still be exporting a scope without the proper export permit, but it can be done.

michaelmicallef 09-15-2017 10:19 PM

When was in Montana last year at a smaller sporting goods store drewling over a Nightforce. The guy behind the counter was doing a great job selling me the scope. When I told him I was from Calgary he said" so what, I sell loads of
Scopes to Canadians." I don't think he was lieing. I was very tempted but all the party poopers comments from this forum started going through my head and I chickened out. To bad Trump can't help us poor Canadians out and ease off on some of those dumb rules.

elkhunter11 09-15-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelmicallef (Post 3623160)
When was in Montana last year at a smaller sporting goods store drewling over a Nightforce. The guy behind the counter was doing a great job selling me the scope. When I told him I was from Calgary he said" so what, I sell loads of
Scopes to Canadians." I don't think he was lieing. I was very tempted but all the party poopers comments from this forum started going through my head and I chickened out. To bad Trump can't help us poor Canadians out and ease off on some of those dumb rules.

Don't blame the American government for the current situation. Our Liberal government at the time was offered an exemption for Canadians, but they declined.

michaelmicallef 09-15-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3623165)
Don't blame the American government for the current situation. Our Liberal government at the time was offered an exemption for Canadians, but they declined.

That figures . Now I know who the real party poopers are.

Bub 09-15-2017 10:57 PM

Ha! Great thread! Really interesting. I had no idea since I had never looked into buying a scope across the border until 3 days ago. There is this great deal on a scope I was thinking to give a try and was planning to order one this weekend, actually. Thanks for info, guys! I am not even going to bother now.

Are there other countries who follow similar export rules in regards to Canada?

P.S. A friend of a friend bought a scope in the US and shipped it to the friend in Canada. It wasn't done to avoid the legalities, but rather to save on shipping because the shipping charges were some crazy number over a hundred bucks and that was just 2-3 years ago when the loonie was at rock bottom. Neither the friend, nor his American friend knew what they are doing though in legal terms.

P.P.S. It's just a ******* scope. WTF, really? I guess, I am getting little mad.

Dean2 09-16-2017 03:10 AM

Try IRUNGUNS. They bring scopes up from the US all the time and do it legally. I have bought a number through them. VX 1 3x9x40 $299 US.

http://www.irunguns.com/catalog.php?...gory=23&page=6

Your other choice is there is a used VX II 3x9x40 in the AO buy sell for $350 CDN, in new condition. Better scope, same price, no importing. Covered by Leupold Lifetime Warranty so no worries about buying used. (Full disclosure, it is my ad)

Huntsman 09-16-2017 05:33 AM

4scopes.com

I've bought several scopes from these guys, 4scopes.com. No issues. They will tell you if the scope can be shipped north or not.
It's scopes with any type of mildot reticle they will not ship north.

*I just checked. They may be out of business*

spurly 09-16-2017 08:42 AM

Scope

Remember one thing though. If you buy a scope from the States or have one imported, and need warranty. You will not be able to use Korth, for this service.
It will have to go back Stste side.

kman35ca 09-16-2017 09:22 AM

Ya, this ITAR stuff is crap. Sure the Liberals avoided exemption with glee. Anything to screw over the firearms community.
Even with our dollar at a low, there where great deals to be had from the US.
But you can also get screwed pretty bad with shipping and duty.
I ordered replacement poles for a Ameristep ground blind. 17$ US. When all was said and done, it came to almost 80$ can! 35$ duty charge from UPS? Would have been nice to have a heads up from their customer service. I asked for a shipping quote, and the guy said, "Ah, not too much." I knew I'd be paying more than their worth, but I couldn't get any tent poles to work, just to stiff. A new blind of the same type would have cost me 20$ more.....

raised by wolves 09-16-2017 09:32 AM

Keep your eyes on European supply companies for their sales. I have purchased US made gear, including optics, for less than buying here in Canada or paying the import fees from the US. Shipping costs for most items are much lower between Europe and Canada than between the US and Canada. And no hidden taxes.

Dean2 09-16-2017 09:36 AM

First lesson, never use UPS or FedEx unless the seller guarantees there will be no additional customs, GST or other fees. If they won't insist they ship US Postal Service. UPS has been gouging Canadians with their bogus custom fees for YEARS.

Carriertxv 09-16-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3623305)
First lesson, never use UPS or FedEx unless the seller guarantees there will be no additional customs, GST or other fees. If they won't insist they ship US Postal Service. UPS has been gouging Canadians with their bogus custom fees for YEARS.

UPS is nothing short of legal extortion.

couleefolk 09-16-2017 09:54 AM

You can legally import scopes and rifles. I have a relative that has a broker that does all his transactions for him while he goes south every winter and buys several firearms. It costs more to get someone to fill out all the paperwork and get everything lined up, but it can be legally done. For most folks it is not worth the cost so thus they don't do it, especially for just one item. Trying to smuggle it out of the US or send it out of the US without the paperwork can get you in really big trouble. Deals in the US sometimes are really that much better than the odd chance you may cross one here in Canada.

Big Thumper 09-16-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurly (Post 3623272)
Remember one thing though. If you buy a scope from the States or have one imported, and need warranty. You will not be able to use Korth, for this service.
It will have to go back Stste side.

no longer true

Dean2 09-16-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Thumper (Post 3623332)
no longer true

Actually it is. Last time I asked them, about 2 months ago, Korth will do warranty work on Cabelas, and Bass Pro Leupold scopes bought here in Canada but as far as I know they still won't work on ones sourced direct out of the states, unless this changes in the last 60 days. There website is pretty emphatic about serving their "Canadian customers" but it would be great news if they are in fact servicing the US scopes now too.

Big Thumper 09-16-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3623346)
Actually it is. Last time I asked them, about 2 months ago, Korth will do warranty work on Cabelas, and Bass Pro Leupold scopes bought here in Canada but as far as I know they still won't work on ones sourced direct out of the states, unless this changes in the last 60 days. There website is pretty emphatic about serving their "Canadian customers" but it would be great news if they are in fact servicing the US scopes now too.

Might be worth a call to them. I had called them a few weeks ago as I had a friend with an issue with a leupold. It was not a Korth scope (came in as a package deal on a weatherby) and the tech there told me all scopes are now covered. He did not indicate it mattered how it was imported(but I did not ask further either). I sent in in on her behalf and it was fixed and returned yesterday. I noted the warranty statement had been removed from the korth site.

Deo101 09-16-2017 12:03 PM

I ordered and had on shipped from Camo fire two years ago. No issues. Got lucky I guess.

fishnguy 09-16-2017 01:52 PM

Bad news for me. I found a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 and Leupold QRW rings for about $370 shipped. I sent a couple of messages to the store in regards to who is their courier (i.e. USPS, UPS, etc) because I do not want to pay insane brokerage fees and never received a reply from them. Now I know why they haven't replied, which is still not cool: a couple of words explaining the situation or simply saying they do not ship to Canada would go a long way.

elkhunter11 09-16-2017 02:27 PM

This is why most US companies won't ship scopes to Canadians.

http://www.exportlawblog.com/archives/425

Mhunter51 09-16-2017 04:38 PM

It's not just UPS that is hosing use now, it's Canada Post also. Couple weeks ago I had an impeller for a hot tub sent in from Florida for $31.00 ish and Canada Post " brokerage fees " were 13.00. They called it a ' handling ' fee. Lady at the post office said it started a month or more ago. Go figure

Bub 09-16-2017 05:15 PM

^ Canada Post used to charge a fix fee of $5 years ago for their "brokerage" fee. I believe it changed to $10 a couple of years ago (maybe more?). However, they do charge this fixed fee regardless of the amount on the invoice. At least this is how it used to work. Sometimes, out of the blue, they would charge this fee and GST, but it does not happen often. I personally do not remember paying any fees or GST on anything I bought, I would say, under $200, probably more. As for the UPS, however, their brokerage fees increase as the amount on the invoice increases. Once, they wanted me to pay three hundred some dollars for brokerage fees and taxes on some used rims I bought on eBay to use with my winter tires. I think the rims were about $400-500. It was probably a decade ago. It took me over three months to work things out with them and I still ended up paying about $100; I can't recall the exact numbers. Since then, I try not to buy anything who ships via UPS only, foreign or domestic. I actually have no idea how it is even legal.

SlightlyDistracting 09-16-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo (Post 3623139)

Itd be kind off silly to break the law and risk all the above to save a couple hundred dollars, or am I missing something?