Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   If money wasn’t a concern (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=420148)

dustinjoels 02-18-2023 12:38 AM

If money wasn’t a concern

If money wasn’t a concern. Where would you book for big pike? Big lakers as an add on would be a bonus.

Rackmastr 02-18-2023 01:12 AM

I fished Cree River Lodge a number of years back. Pretty amazing fishery.

Dewey Cox 02-18-2023 09:48 AM

Ubiquity lake

-JR- 02-18-2023 11:31 AM

NA

-JR- 02-18-2023 11:33 AM

Every Laker fishermen knows that answer for Lakers is Great Bear Lake then second would be
Tlicho Lands / whati

The big quest for me is finding someone to go with ,as not every one is addicted to lakers .

swampy45 02-18-2023 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4611558)
Every Laker fishermen knows that answer for Lakers is Great Bear Lake then second would be
Tlicho Lands / whati

The big quest for me is finding someone to go with ,as not every one is addicted to lakers .

Lac La Martre! Guided up there and the Big Pike and Lakers are plentiful all year long. If you're after pike over lakers, earlier in the year is probably better than later, but you'll catch them all season long. Its a special place.

http://www.nwtfishing.com

WinefredCommander 02-18-2023 08:47 PM

Wollaston.

Dewey Cox 02-18-2023 09:33 PM

Too bad money is a concern.
I'd like to go to all those places.

dustinjoels 02-19-2023 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4611674)
Too bad money is a concern.
I'd like to go to all those places.

Lol it’s a concern for me as well. Was just intrigued. And dare to dream.

Frank_NK28 02-19-2023 01:26 AM

Actually my dream would be to hitch my boat to the truck, head to the west coast, start with salmon, halibut and ling cod and from there make my way to the east coast to fish striped bass and tuna with every conceivable species in between along the way there and back beginning in spring and ending in fall.

Smoky buck 02-19-2023 06:29 AM

If money was no concern pike would not be top of the list. If wanting to stay in Canada I would head east for Muskie with pike maybe as a by catch

I am just waiting to see if the wife gets approved for holidays and that will be our plan. Also looking at something more tropical for next year if things can line up timing wise

sns2 02-19-2023 07:08 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7e217d6ba8.jpg

Then I take you all fishing wherever you wanna go:bad_boys_20:

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Smoky buck 02-19-2023 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 4611700)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7e217d6ba8.jpg

Then I take you all fishing wherever you wanna go:bad_boys_20:

I would have considered taking you fishing but you seem to think I only know how to hunt bush bucks and I am not much of a fisherman :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Kinda like a girl with a nice rack only judged on one thing :thinking-006:

sns2 02-19-2023 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4611706)
I would have considered taking you fishing but you seem to think I only know how to hunt bush bucks and I am not much of a fisherman :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Kinda like a girl with a nice rack only judged on one thing :thinking-006:

Hee hee.

58thecat 02-19-2023 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinjoels (Post 4611444)
If money wasn’t a concern. Where would you book for big pike? Big lakers as an add on would be a bonus.

Bakers Narrows Lodge

One of the outfitters on lake Athabasca

Cree lake

AlbertanGP 02-19-2023 11:28 AM

Back in the 80's, the very wealthy American father of a friend I went to school with in Fort Mac leased all the land around a lake northwest of Cree Lake. We made many trips in beavers and twin otters ferrying in building supplies. And in between working we fished. The fish caught in that lake in open water and ice fishing rival anything I've seen/heard about from the likes of Cree/Wollaston/etc. It was never a lodge that I know of. When I look on Google Maps, the cabin we built is still there. If I was ambitious enough to locate the owners, and they were kind enough to allow us out there, I'd love to stay in that cabin and ice fish for a week with my son. Hopefully they still have sleds up there. lol.

Dewey Cox 02-19-2023 12:57 PM

I think the natives were given a chunk of land on the north of that lake.
There is a bunch of buildings and infrastructure there (from a government base i think?) So that's the piece of land they chose...

fisher69 02-20-2023 03:54 PM

i might hit some of those tropy lakes clayton schick goes to in northern manitoba, but in summer i would get a nice canoe and go out to ontario

Davef 02-20-2023 04:18 PM

If I had piles of Money

I would fish Great Bear lake for a whole season! Unreal massive Lake Trout. The lake is the World record holder of lakers!:scared0015::scared0015

Sitkaspruce 02-20-2023 07:49 PM

This place

https://ganglers.com/

I worked a summer up there as a camp manager and fishing guide back in the 80's, before it became the super podge it is now. Wall tent, with wooden walls, accommodations and a 12x20 eating area and a 12x16 kitchen. It was a rough camp

It was an adventure - 5 of us from college in BC, jump on a train to Winnipeg, then, on my first experience with segregation, we board another train to Lynn Lake. Three cars - one for "white people" and two for First Nations and we we all warned to NEVER leave the car we were assigned to!!! RCMP members would come around and ask if we were all right..... Wall tents, with wooden floors and 4' walls for accommodations and a 12x20 eating area and a 12x16 kitchen. It was a great way to spend a summer!!

Anyways. Eganolf Lake has it all!!! Plus the out post camps offer some better fishing for some species.

We caught pike up to 28 lbs, walleye up to 6 lbs, lakers to 35 lbs and grayling up to 5 lbs. Back then it was a trophy only lake; Any fish you wanted to keep had to be shipped out by us to a taxidermist. Any other fish was killed for shore lunch or dinner.

My PB for the lake were (all weights based on measurements): 22 lbs pike, 5.2 lbs walleye, 33.5 lbs laker (on a #0 Len Thompson red and white in the river while fishing for grayling) and a 4.4 Lbs grayling which I got mounted.

It is an expensive trip and I have no idea what the fishing is like now, but I just can't see it changing that much.

Cheers

SS

HL_transplant 02-20-2023 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinjoels (Post 4611444)

Wollaston would hard to beat if you consider the top end size for both lakers and pike. Great bear hands down has the biggest lakers and fly outs for Arctic Char.

hacksaw 02-20-2023 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HL_transplant (Post 4612346)
Wollaston would hard to beat if you consider the top end size for both lakers and pike. Great bear hands down has the biggest lakers and fly outs for Arctic Char.

2x - Fished Wollaston way back when working at one of the mines. What a treat. An absolute blast to fish with plenty of monsters lurking.

Poppa 02-21-2023 01:49 PM

Kississing/Athapapuskow in northern Manitoba or basically anywhere on LOTW around Kenora...

WinefredCommander 02-27-2023 07:09 PM

Just PM the COMMANDER! Will tell you where to go!

Bushleague 02-27-2023 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 (Post 4611691)
Actually my dream would be to hitch my boat to the truck, head to the west coast, start with salmon, halibut and ling cod and from there make my way to the east coast to fish striped bass and tuna with every conceivable species in between along the way there and back beginning in spring and ending in fall.

I like that plan, but for me it would be North to South, and I'd likely leave the boat behind. I'd try to schedule it to hit northern Canada, Outer Banks, Texas gulf, and Baja at opportune times, with a bunch of much less glamorous locations and species in between. Someday maybe.

fordtruckin 02-27-2023 07:52 PM

If $$ wasn't an issue, I'd hit a dozen places in northern Saskatchewan, then work my way east through Manitoba to Ontario then down to Wisconsin and end in Minnesota. As long as it is rustic and there's pike and walleye, I'm down!!

Red Bullets 03-01-2023 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If money was not a concern I would go to Lake of Grefeern in Germany. The world record pike taken there in 1986, 55 lb 1 oz. - 53 inches long. I'm betting there are other huge pike to be caught in Germany.

59whiskers 03-02-2023 09:21 PM

If I had a lot more money than what I have now, I would move most of it out of Canada before Trudeau wins the next election. God help help Us please.

59whiskers 03-02-2023 09:27 PM

I would buy a property in Alaska and fish up there if I had to escape Canada.

calgarychef 03-02-2023 10:02 PM

If money wasn’t a concern I’d go back to australia for saltwater fishing.