Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poison On Our Land (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=361210)

Gifted Intuitive 03-22-2019 10:54 AM

Poison On Our Land

This afternoon at 4:30 APTN Television will broadcast a program called APTN Investigates. It documents a group of Indigenous Elders expressing their concerns about the use of glyphosate-based herbicides to the World Health Organization. The usage pertains to aerial application of glyphosate on forested land.
If you hunt in an agricultural area with grain crops the animals you harvest can have up to four blasts of deadly herbicides, fungicides and pesticides in one growing season.
Where is the Provincial Government, the Alberta Fish& Game, and other conservation organizations when this poisoning is happening ?
An ATV disturbing the surface of a terrain is a tragedy: an airplane or a crop sprayer soaking wildlife in deadly chemicals is not a concern. Why does this First Nations group have to go to the World Health Organization to have this tragedy addressed ?

Zip 03-22-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive (Post 3950577)
This afternoon at 4:30 APTN Television will broadcast a program called APTN Investigates. It documents a group of Indigenous Elders expressing their concerns about the use of glyphosate-based herbicides to the World Health Organization. The usage pertains to aerial application of glyphosate on forested land.
If you hunt in an agricultural area with grain crops the animals you harvest can have up to four blasts of deadly herbicides, fungicides and pesticides in one growing season.
Where is the Provincial Government, the Alberta Fish& Game, and other conservation organizations when this poisoning is happening ?
An ATV disturbing the surface of a terrain is a tragedy: an airplane or a crop sprayer soaking wildlife in deadly chemicals is not a concern. Why does this First Nations group have to go to the World Health Organization to have this tragedy addressed ?

Very good question...I hope something can be done here as those that hunt for food will be filling their Bellys with this stuff, and over time I'm sure that would pose a very big health issue, our foods have been poisoning us for years...true!
Zip

st99 03-22-2019 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the problem, is according to health canada roundup is safe for use

sharpstick 03-22-2019 11:51 AM

Roundup is only one of dozens if not hundreds of different sprays used...
I would like to see these people drink a glass of round up to prove to us its safe.

MountainTi 03-22-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

You lost me at APTN. Propaganda filled for your viewing pleasure. Not sure which is worse, APTN, CBC, or CNN.

Croplands are sprayed with roundup once a year. Many sprayed twice if desiccating. I would be more concerned over that than a one time application on a very small portion of logged out areas (before replanting).

Soaking wildlife in deadly chemicals? Haha, give me a break. Sounds like a quote from the script of the APTN "special"

I shake my head at the gullibility of the masses nowadays. Must be the roundup

Drewski Canuck 03-22-2019 12:00 PM

What is really tragic is that Alberta Forestry has approved the spraying of roundup on cut blocks to kill the deciduous tree saplings.

They then plant spruce and pine on the cut block. Grass that did grow on the open cut blocks is also eliminated.

Deciduous saplings create ground cover for wildlife much quicker than the replanted conifers, and the grass is available browse and creates seeds for the birds and mice.

Instead, you are left with a large open area that is barren and a killing zone for the predators.

Willow and Poplar are browse all year long for deer, elk, and moose. Not Spruce and pine.

The Horticulturalists will explain that using roundup speeds up the growth of the conifers, because they do not have to compete with the faster growing deciduous trees or the grass.

Regardless of whether Roundup is a cumulative toxin or not, in the areas that the forestry companies are operating, they are destroying valuable habitat for wildlife.

Drewski

sako1 03-22-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpstick (Post 3950609)
I would like to see the3se people drink a glass of round up to prove to us its safe.

I get what you are saying. But i wouldn't want to drink a glass of chlorine either.

mulecrazy 03-22-2019 12:16 PM

soooo much BS, soooo little time. clearly some have a very different view of what is actually a poison and what makes it poisonous. spraying roundup on your canola will have ZERO effect on wildlife and humans. period..... Unless of course you have your tinfoil hat on. then everything is poison designed to suppress the population.

Jack Hardin 03-22-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpstick (Post 3950609)
I would like to see these people drink a glass of round up to prove to us its safe.

About 25 years there was a program on the radio regarding how safe was Round-Up. The person who developed Round-Up said that he actually drank a glass of Round-Up. He also said that Round-Up just destroys the chlorophyll and when it lacks chlorophyll the plant will die.

Just for the record, I will not drink a glass of Round-Up however, I use it every summer to control weeds around the driveway and what not around the acreage.

ReconWilly 03-22-2019 12:30 PM

Agenda 21 and 2030.

Time to end the United Nations.

MountainTi 03-22-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 3950623)

They then plant spruce and pine on the cut block. Grass that did grow on the open cut blocks is also eliminated.

Drewski

I will use the west country here for an example, as I am quite familiar with it. Every replanted cutblock is grass covered. If roundup is applied, it will be to small patches.
If the grass is killed off (good luck killing off the grass with a single application, I try that every year at my place) it will be replaced with weeds. That's not happening. You believe that all these blocks out here consist of seedling conifers and dirt? Ha

MountainTi 03-22-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Hardin (Post 3950642)
About 25 years there was a program on the radio regarding how safe was Round-Up. The person who developed Round-Up said that he actually drank a glass of Round-Up. He also said that Round-Up just destroys the chlorophyll and when it lacks chlorophyll the plant will die.

Just for the record, I will not drink a glass of Round-Up however, I use it every summer to control weeds around the driveway and what not around the acreage.

I use various chemicals here every year. Roundup doesn't concern me nearly near as much as all the others. Damn broadleaf

bat119 03-22-2019 12:42 PM

Roundup has been used since 1976 shouldn't we all be dead by now?

58thecat 03-22-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 3950660)
Roundup has been used since 1976 shouldn't we all be dead by now?

or if your looking for a government handout......:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Chief16 03-22-2019 03:05 PM

The only way round up can kill you is if someone hits you over the head with a bottle of it. It kills plants by stopping the production of amino acids in plants that we don't even have. There is no evidence to show that Round Up causes any harm to people, it is just emotional arguments with no scientific backing.

bobtodrick 03-22-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainti (Post 3950620)
you lost me at aptn. Propaganda filled for your viewing pleasure. Not sure which is worse, aptn, cbc, or cnn.

Croplands are sprayed with roundup once a year. Many sprayed twice if desiccating. I would be more concerned over that than a one time application on a very small portion of logged out areas (before replanting).

Soaking wildlife in deadly chemicals? Haha, give me a break. Sounds like a quote from the script of the aptn "special"

i shake my head at the gullibility of the masses nowadays. Must be the roundup

^^^^^this^^^^^

ETOWNCANUCK 03-22-2019 03:17 PM

Makes you wonder how we ever got to over 7 billion people on the planet?

Poison on everything and yet the human race flourishes, not perishes.

:thinking-006:

Ranets 03-22-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 3950620)
You lost me at APTN. Propaganda filled for your viewing pleasure. Not sure which is worse, APTN, CBC, or CNN.

Soaking wildlife in deadly chemicals? Haha, give me a break. Sounds like a quote from the script of the APTN "special"

I shake my head at the gullibility of the masses nowadays. Must be the roundup

X2 Exactly this just another reason to try for more free rides.It is starting to get a little old.

Drewski Canuck 03-22-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 3950650)
I will use the west country here for an example, as I am quite familiar with it. Every replanted cutblock is grass covered. If roundup is applied, it will be to small patches.
If the grass is killed off (good luck killing off the grass with a single application, I try that every year at my place) it will be replaced with weeds. That's not happening. You believe that all these blocks out here consist of seedling conifers and dirt? Ha

Yes, in the first year after the helicopter application to the cut block, with a very strong Glyophosphate designed to kill willow and poplar suckers, nothing is left. In the following years, the grass does return, and you are left with a bunch of dead saplings with spruce and pine seedlings.

I am upset because these cut blocks used to attract moose out of the heavy stands of spruce. That is why I want there to be sapling poplar and willow.

This forest edge is what makes the forest productive for the wildlife. Heavy timber hides game, but there really is not much browse for moose in spruce stands.

Drewski

calgarychef 03-22-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 3950795)
Yes, in the first year after the helicopter application to the cut block, with a very strong Glyophosphate designed to kill willow and poplar suckers, nothing is left. In the following years, the grass does return, and you are left with a bunch of dead saplings with spruce and pine seedlings.

I am upset because these cut blocks used to attract moose out of the heavy stands of spruce. That is why I want there to be sapling poplar and willow.

This forest edge is what makes the forest productive for the wildlife. Heavy timber hides game, but there really is not much browse for moose in spruce stands.

Drewski

I couldn’t agree more, logging should produce habitat but it doesn’t as that habitat regeneration is killed to encourage conifers.

farmer23 03-22-2019 09:25 PM

I do find it quite funny how people worry about chemicals that 'might' contribute to cancer, maybe worry about the ones that are proven to cause cancer. Look up how many people die from cancer caused by drinking alcohol. Never a word mentioned about that.

Tiguy 03-22-2019 11:33 PM

A solution is just around the corner that will not interfere with native grasses. Technology and ingenuity looks to have solved the some problems by using drones to fire tree seed pods into the ground. 1 drone can fire 100,000 seed pods a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3x4uUYQyLs

Jays toyz 03-22-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiguy (Post 3951027)
A solution is just around the corner that will not interfere with native grasses. Technology and ingenuity looks to have solved the some problems by using drones to fire tree seed pods into the ground. 1 drone can fire 100,000 seed pods a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3x4uUYQyLs

Neat idea but THAT drone is not planting 100000 trees a day and I can guarantee that company is not making 10000 of them either. I am however, sure they are looking for investors.

6.5 shooter 03-22-2019 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jays toyz (Post 3951028)
Neat idea but THAT drone is not planting 100000 trees a day and I can guarantee that company is not making 10000 of them either. I am however, sure they are looking for investors.

And all them drones made out of plastic which come from....wait for it....oil and gas......HUMM.....

HunterDave 03-23-2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

It documents a group of Indigenous Elders expressing their concerns about the use of glyphosate-based herbicides to the World Health Organization.

Do any of these Elders happen to be scientists, biologists, etc that would give them anymore credibility than anyone else? There are people out there that believe that the world is flat too.

Norwest Alta 03-23-2019 01:02 AM

Maybe they should set a example and clean up their yards first.

Big Grey Wolf 03-23-2019 08:20 AM

Roundup

World health Organization listed Roundup as possible carcinogen about year ago, Then Monsanto funded studies to try change the channel.
Interesting study by BC biologist presented at last trappers Rendevous in Westlock this summer. Moose are dying from eating browse in cut blocks sprayed by Roundup.

58thecat 03-23-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwest Alta (Post 3951044)
Maybe they should set a example and clean up their yards first.

Exactly...take a hard look around...make a difference there first, set the example then reach out....oops but that gonna take work not just sitting around chewing the fat.....

rem338win 03-23-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulecrazy (Post 3950635)
soooo much BS, soooo little time. clearly some have a very different view of what is actually a poison and what makes it poisonous. spraying roundup on your canola will have ZERO effect on wildlife and humans. period..... Unless of course you have your tinfoil hat on. then everything is poison designed to suppress the population.

That's not actually true and we are one of the last countries to start understanding that. It has an affect and not a good one. If. You need to use a tinfoil hat to ignore issues I heard they are equally effective.

Weebo 03-23-2019 09:23 AM

Strong rate? Does anybody actually know what rate they are putting down?how many L/acre ? My opinion as a farmer who actually used this stuff- lots of studies either way, but bottom line is we follow the label and that's that. With public perception i can see losing this tool as a fall desicant to further remove the possibility of it entering the food chain regardless of the science.If (when) this happens and the growing concern over gmo's and the world pop soaring and temps rising, people are going to starve. Glyphosate is the main tool of farmers in the prairies in my opinion (and many other countries) and if you have to go back to working the land yields will suffer in these hotter days to come.just my morning rambling, time for another cup.(coffee not roundup lol)