Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fort McMurray (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=200279)

SPAL 11-27-2013 01:05 PM

Fort McMurray

Who would like to see a Archery Shop in Fort McMurray ? With Pro Shop Services and Products.

diamond k 11-27-2013 01:53 PM

Are you looking at moving or expanding?

Lots of money to spend up there but good luck finding decent guys to run it

1899b 11-27-2013 02:04 PM

I commend you on caling the town by its true name and not "Fort Mac" or "The Mac". Those are painful slangs...... Lived there from 1972 to 2006 and I have no idea who the hell decided to put an "a" in between the M and C!!!!! LOL

Mistagin 11-27-2013 07:50 PM

I'd go in and look around :), but likely wouldn't buy unless it's either traditional gear or Excalibur Crossbows :bad_boys_20: :scared0018:

Edit: and competitive pricing, not jacked up just because it's Fort McMurray!

cbel 11-27-2013 08:30 PM

First Bow

Was just looking around last weekend for a shop in Fort McMurray where I could get my first bow. Couldnt find any shops :sign0161: so I'm gonna pick something up in Edmonton this weekend.

Any suggestions on my first hunting bow?

Buckhunter,1 11-27-2013 09:55 PM

yes i would even apply to work there part time being a high school student

L.O.S.T.Arrow 11-28-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 2213563)
I commend you on caling the town by its true name and not "Fort Mac" or "The Mac". Those are painful slangs...... Lived there from 1972 to 2006 and I have no idea who the hell decided to put an "a" in between the M and C!!!!! LOL

:D LOL..we called it "HELL" grew up there from the 50"s to mid 70's ...watched it grow from a liitle town to a big "Boom" city almost over night...things I saw there...

However I think it would do very well there as long as you dont kill yourself with overhead...

JMHO
Neil

CNP 11-28-2013 05:31 PM

Why would anyone say no?

manitoban 11-28-2013 07:41 PM

There are several guys that have small shops based out of their homes. None are advertised because it would probably take the enjoyment out of it.

Archery is growing a lot up here and the range has been doing a lot of improvements.

I wish it wasnt the case but seems as those there are a more "experts" up here that have read or heard about the latest and greastest and will soon be telling YOU what you should stock and carry.

If you need archery supplies/bow/targets or anything else send me a pm and I can get you in touch with some people

elkhunter11 11-28-2013 10:03 PM

It would be nice to have an archery shop, and it would be even nicer to have someone volunteer to become the archery chairperson for our range.

cochranenite 11-28-2013 10:28 PM

What about another hunting shop? That has better selection then outdoor ess.

There is a pile of hunters up and reloaded

CN

elkhunter11 11-29-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

What about another hunting shop? That has better selection then outdoor ess.

There is a pile of hunters up and reloaded
Unfortunately, with the cost of doing business in our city, you simply can't match the Canadian Tire or Walmart pricing, and many people will not pay a bit extra to have a much better selection in the city. People will go to Walmart to save $1 on a box of ammunition, even if it costs $1 extra in fuel for their $80,000 truck to go there . Despite the higher wages here, when it comes to many things, people are cheap.

astepanuk 12-02-2013 03:33 PM

I agree it’s so hard to compete when a guy can go online and order it for the same price I'm all for supporting local business Outdoor essentials is our only real option the store can only hold so much gear and its packed. I send as much business as I can to the store.

Mike_W 12-02-2013 04:57 PM

Cant really comment as I have never spent much time there but I would assume an archery shop would be we received as some guys work so hard they don't have time to get to a larger city with a pros hop and want to spend there days off in the bush fishing or camping and not taking a weekend to another city to see what's out there.

Trophy book In Spruce Grove is so close to Edmonton and the WSS and Cabelas yet they do very well and typically charge more for pretty much everything.

diamond k 12-02-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamond k (Post 2213553)
Are you looking at moving or expanding?

Lots of money to spend up there but good luck finding decent guys to run it

I guess Dallas does not want to answer.

Flight01 12-02-2013 06:21 PM

Archery is big here

I would love to have an archery shop here . I currently deal with a guy who sells out of his garage and does repairs as well as all the accessories you will need. I think he doesn't advertise cause he is already too busy. It is worth paying a little more to have a selection and a willing person to assist you. I doubt an actual arcery store would hurt his business much so I support anyone willing to expand the sporting goods industry in fort mcmurray. There are a few good locations and I would pay a bit more than CT or Walmart prices to keep the selection offered by a new store.

russ 12-02-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flight01 (Post 2220835)
I would love to have an archery shop here . I currently deal with a guy who sells out of his garage and does repairs as well as all the accessories you will need. I think he doesn't advertise cause he is already too busy. It is worth paying a little more to have a selection and a willing person to assist you. I doubt an actual arcery store would hurt his business much so I support anyone willing to expand the sporting goods industry in fort mcmurray. There are a few good locations and I would pay a bit more than CT or Walmart prices to keep the selection offered by a new store.

Is that Marcelle?

NayNay 12-02-2013 07:30 PM

I know a guy named Roger that deals out of his garage. He says it cost to much to rent a shop to make it worth while.

Muskeg_lover 12-18-2013 09:11 AM

We had "2" Outdoor Stores in he 80's that carried a Good Line of Archery
Eq.
Their prices were Good and they had Good Customer relations.
But even then when The cost of doing Business was somewhat Reasonable
i think they Struggled with overhead.

Fast forward to today...
I would think in Fort McMurray today finding Dedicated Employee would be a challenge .[Not Saying it is impossible]
I have been involved in Archery in Fort McMurray since the Early 80"s
Love the Place.
I think a Home Business would be worth looking into..

Full Curl Earl 12-21-2013 07:46 PM

Compare?

I remember those stores in the 80's, bow hunting was only a passing fad then, and 15,000 people lived here. The climate is perfect for it now with 125,000 people in the area and bow hunting picking up steam in Canada like never before.
It would be a good boost to the sport as well!

1899b 12-21-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl (Post 2248823)
I remember those stores in the 80's, bow hunting was only a passing fad then, and 15,000 people lived here. The climate is perfect for it now with 125,000 people in the area and bow hunting picking up steam in Canada like never before.
It would be a good boost to the sport as well!

Don't want to nit pick but I spent pretty much all my life up there and by 1981 there was 31,000 people living there. A population of 15,000 was in the 70's. Not in the 80's. The stores were also poorly run which made it easy for folks to decide to head south on 63 and spend there money in Edmonton....

elkhunter11 12-21-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Don't want to nit pick but I spent pretty much all my life up there and by 1981 there was 31,000 people living there. A population of 15,000 was in the 70's. Not in the 80's. The stores were also poorly run which made it easy for folks to decide to head south on 63 and spend there money in Edmonton....
I came to the city in 1980, and there were about 30,000 people at the time. Poor management didn't help, as did the fact that many people wouldn't pay a bit extra, to support a local business.