Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   HIT Removal (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=210963)

bullsbucksandbears 03-01-2014 03:18 PM

HIT Removal

Hey guys need some assistance here. I have been playing with arrows and am pretty happy with the results. From bare shafts to accurate arrows is a process but it is nice to make your own ammo. That said, I have some inserts that need to come out. They either seated a hair too deep or not deep enough. Question is how do I get the dang things out now? Also, what about the residual epoxy in the shaft, how do guys get that out? Thanks guys, some good advice on here. Mark.

canadian medic 03-01-2014 05:32 PM

im no expert but I do know that if you heat the shaft with a heat gun care full not to burn it you can pull the inserts back out

bullsbucksandbears 03-01-2014 05:40 PM

The problem is they are HIT's so I can't reach into the shaft to pull them out.

canadian medic 03-01-2014 05:45 PM

go to home depot and find a wood dowel that will fit in your shaft then heat the area you think the insert is and push

L.O.S.T.Arrow 03-01-2014 06:06 PM

:D Any heat is a bad idea unless you take a field point...insert it not touching shaft heat field point NOT arrow...put tip in vise and pull...careful not to overheat or shaft will weaken badly...

Another option is to remove nock...slide in drill bit size of shaft...swing shaft slamming bit into hit insert..may take a couple swings...be carefull insert and bit become projectiles
Neil

bullsbucksandbears 03-01-2014 06:12 PM

Thanks Neil, might come down to this. I tried it a couple times, they weren't budging. Might just have to keep swinging for the fences, hahaha! Thanks for the work last night, was shooting in the garage again and things are sweet.

L.O.S.T.Arrow 03-01-2014 08:02 PM

:D yer welcome ...Those WBS will treat you oh so nice....

Neil

brohymn2 03-18-2014 09:51 AM

I have the same problem with one that isn't inserted far enough, will try the field point method, thanks neil

cfinn 03-18-2014 11:07 AM

if you used Easton's epoxy to insert them initially, then heat seems to work. I had to drill a couple out and used .22 cal gun cleaning brush for cleaning out the debris. seemed ok.

If you used Black loc-tite to instal, they will be fubar

petew 03-18-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow (Post 2344952)
:D Any heat is a bad idea unless you take a field point...insert it not touching shaft heat field point NOT arrow...put tip in vise and pull...careful not to overheat or shaft will weaken badly...

Another option is to remove nock...slide in drill bit size of shaft...swing shaft slamming bit into hit insert..may take a couple swings...be carefull insert and bit become projectiles Neil

The bit or rod needs to be a loose fit so the air in front of it can pass the bit on the down swing. If the bit is to tight it can't go fast enough to knock out the inserts.