Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   tail light full of water (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=380891)

EZM 05-03-2020 11:33 AM

tail light full of water

Noticed when looking at the lens that my tailight was filled about 1/3 full of water. 2017 Ford F150.

Strange, since the only source of significant water would have been a car wash I did about a week ago.

Never had this happen before.

So, using a tiny drill bit, I drilled out one hole for air and second for water (at the bottom of the plastic lens housing - couldn't believe that water that came out - it was a tiny garden hose spraying out a couple feet - maybe a liter of water there.

Anyone ever have this happen before?

I think I'm going to leave the holes there, because I'm not sure where it's coming from, and at least it will drain. Not sure if that a good idea or not, bit the lights work fine.

The entire back up light was submerged (the clear white bottom part) and it still works.

If it continues to work, there is no need to replace the probably $200+ tail light assembly is there?

Dean2 05-03-2020 11:39 AM

The pressure in car washes is really very high. I have seem car paint and decals, moldings and the like damaged by the pressure. I would pull the tail light out and look for a break in the seal and silicone that shut. There is no way condensation put that much water in there so it is clearly coming in from the outside. Only issue with leaving holes is you will get dust inside the lens, which is very hard to get rid of and will eventually dull your lights a lot.

EZM 05-03-2020 12:09 PM

Good call, I will pull it off and have a look - bit I'm pretty sure the bulbs are on those sockets at the back which are twist in, and those are definitely not water or air tight.

Dean2 05-03-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 4162753)
Good call, I will pull it off and have a look - bit I'm pretty sure the bulbs are on those sockets at the back which are twist in, and those are definitely not water or air tight.

I doubt it is coming in from the back side. I have never seen one of the twist in let water in unless I went through a real deep creek crossing and even then, most are pretty well grommet sealed. Most I have resealed it was a crack in the lens itself or the seal was shot where the lens joins the actual housing.

Sooner 05-03-2020 12:25 PM

Silicone any holes you made or breaks in the seal you find and hope a few hot days evaporates any moisture left in. I bet you have a separated seam on the housing/lens.

Dewey Cox 05-03-2020 12:32 PM

You have a blinker fluid leak.

jungleboy 05-03-2020 12:43 PM

An errant stone may have flew up and cracked the housing from the back side .

EZM 05-03-2020 12:59 PM

Just pulled it off. No damage to the plastic shroud. No evidence of any seal failure anywhere. Only penetration is through sockets where bulbs come in - it's a mystery.

The back side is guarded by the body panels and front he side where the tail gate comes up.

Got some condensation in the inside of the lens now - will let that dry out and maybe keep an eye on it I guess. The hole I drilled are the size of a finish nail - so I'm hoping they will circulate enough air in there for now.

I will decide what to do from there - absolutely a mystery.

EZM 05-03-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4162760)

Ah .... the famous service upgrade targeting wives when they go to one of those quick lube places ...... that and the muffler filter and flush.

Grizzly Adams 05-03-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 4162784)
Ah .... the famous service upgrade targeting wives when they go to one of those quick lube places ...... that and the muffler filter and flush.

They only sell those to Ford owners. :lol:

Grizz

dodger 05-03-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4162760)

:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Dodger.

Smoky buck 05-03-2020 04:12 PM

Tail light cover should be fine but I highly recommend replacing everything around it to prevent further issues :D

Mistagin 05-03-2020 04:43 PM

Had the same problem with my 2016, good till last fall and suddenly full of water, burned out the bulb. Brought it to the attention of the local dealer and it got replaced under warranty :sHa_shakeshout:.

zero_eight 05-03-2020 06:28 PM

Same thing happened on my 2016 F150
Drilled a hole and carried on

Getzcold 05-03-2020 06:37 PM

My buddy just had his 2017 f150 start acting up. Doing crazy electrical stuff messing with the temperature settings and all kinds of things. They where about to replace the board behind the screen and then they found the tail light was cracked and had some water in there causing the issue. Turns out each tail light has a module in there and water was causing issues with the computer. Tail lights was 2500 bucks I think he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk