Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Recurve bow help needed (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=431094)

H380 04-30-2024 08:04 PM

Recurve bow help needed

I've bow hunted for 40 years with a compound and thinking if adding a recurve to my arsenal . Not wanting to break the bank on one ,been looking at a PSE Nighthawk,is it any good and would I be able to start taking a few deer with it ?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Stinky Buffalo 04-30-2024 09:07 PM

(following with interest, I'm in a similar boat...) :)

catnthehat 05-01-2024 06:59 AM

You looking at going to a totally traditional ( instinctive )setup or a rig with sights?
Cat

LeroyvdH 05-01-2024 07:14 AM

A person in our club shoots one. I've shot it. Seamed like a good bow. I think it was around 45#

H380 05-01-2024 09:48 AM

Total instinctive on my end Cat..

catnthehat 05-01-2024 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H380 (Post 4720876)
Total instinctive on my end Cat..

Perfect!
I have no experience with the PSE, but I can tell you that finding a mentor who can help you with the basics is a lot easier than trying to learn by yourself- I like I did in the 60's!:budo:
One thing to remember is that your draw length will naturally be a bit shorter than with a compound, because of the dynamic characteristics of the two different types of bow, amd that there is no set or mandatory LOP for an individual, everybody is different .
I would also suggest buying G. Fred Asbell's excellent book called
" Instinctive Archery" very good read for sure!
Cat

H380 05-01-2024 12:52 PM

Thanx for the info Cat ,I used finger tab for the first 30 years and only changed cause my new bow wouldn't allow it ...I would go back if I could ,so a recurve should be a good fit ...I also don't anchor very long with the compound and it should be a match for me .

Knotter 05-01-2024 02:34 PM

Off to a great start

another to look at in the budget range are the fleetwood bows. My son bought one on sale a few years ago and it's a solid performer. keep the poundage low until you have a good grasp of the mechanics and shooting process. Your arrows are the business end of the equation and bare considerable thought too. Find a mentor or even experienced shooter at your range for help. Once you're setup, it's way less to manage than with a compound. No sights to bump, cams that lean, etc.

Stinky Buffalo 05-01-2024 10:09 PM

Recurve bow help needed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knotter (Post 4720995)
Once you're setup, it's way less to manage than with a compound. No sights to bump, cams that lean, etc.

That’s one of the main attractions for me.

calgarychef 05-02-2024 01:34 AM

I like high end customs as much as the next feller but I hate to admit it… almost any recurve will fling an arrow well enough to hunt with.

For simplicity of tuning Make sure it has a radiused shelf, is close to center shot and has built up tips to allow fast flight string. Take down is nice for getting to some hunting areas and especially flying.

Then go to OL Adcocks site and read about traditional bow tuning

Use feathers not vanes, unless you have an elevated rest.

Get a handful of different weight field tips to help with tuning. Also get some stick on velcro, use the fuzzy side to build out the side plate for tuning.

H380 05-08-2024 06:26 AM

Went with a PSE Shaman ,62 in 45 # limbs, feathered arrows ...now just need some weather to get some practice in .https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...72e3e02238.jpg

Knotter 05-08-2024 05:12 PM

Send pics...

...Of your shooting progress. Have fun and watch out for the wallet vampire that is a custom bow... never eats just once.

H380 05-09-2024 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knotter (Post 4722355)
...Of your shooting progress. Have fun and watch out for the wallet vampire that is a custom bow... never eats just once.

Lololol...thanx ,.I'm no expert and a long way from a custom, but sure feels good to be back shooting fingers

jungleboy 05-10-2024 09:55 AM

If you can find it. Fred Asbel’s book “Instinctive shooting” is a wonderful guide and should be in any traditional archer’s library in my opinion

calgarychef 05-10-2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleboy (Post 4722676)
If you can find it. Fred Asbel’s book “Instinctive shooting” is a wonderful guide and should be in any traditional archer’s library in my opinion

It is a good book. Disregard his swing/draw method… Fred realized after writing the book that it was fraught with disaster.