View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
I have to totally agree with Russ on this issue. I had some talks with some SRD folks and it looks like most of southern Alberta will turn to draw for mule deer archery in the next few years. There are many zones that are on the verge of losing the general bow seasons. Moose will soon follow in this province as well.
I think the spike of new hunter you would get if you opened it up to crossbows might make more seasons go to draw then you would have a huge spike down in all bow hunters.
There is a fine line in the numbers game and finding the right balance is very important.
The draws are coming regardless if the crossbow is allowed or not...why?. Is it because the compound bow is so dang good and effective nowadays as to be compared straight across to a crossbow maybe?(in terms of harvest numbers)

A spike in new hunters?...if that were the case?....it would be a GOOD thing for all hunting period. It is simply options we would be allowing ourselves...and options are good....they don't change harvest stats enough to even mention....they don't bring a zillion new hunters to the game but i think it will bring a few forsure and definitely make the jump for existing gun hunters to bow hunting sports a lot less daunting. I keep saying it....overall good for ALL hunting its a benefit. Logic says thats where the tool fits...why would we NOT allow it there? Rediculous. I'm a bowhunter and have zero problem with its inclusion. Potentially a tool that could help bridge the gap between bow and gun hunters also?....uh....YES PLEASE!

Jonny O, your spot on, no need to segregate them at all imo. This is a selfish thing by the hardcore archer types....as noted here in this quote...it says it all by russ.
Quote:
more hunters = more harvest. More harvest = shorter bow season.
Isn't that rediculous? He doesn't want more hunters? Brutal. And second...he thinks more hunters would equal shorter bow season?...what a bunch of bull. I will concede that if there are more hunters there will be more strain on game...but thats life...do we want to grow our sports or not? If you shoot a compound then you are a hypocrit...the fastest growing hunting sport in north america and your part of it but now want to retard it? What the? Talk about bite the hand that feeds you.

And thats the ABA's position....deep down its a selfish thing. Wrong day and age for it. The same fight occurred when the compound bow came in and was finally allowed....whats the difference here? Is it that hard for us to learn from the past? Come on. Get with the times people. A bow is a bow. Anything that gives more options when they fit is something that can help promote hunting....and this fits.....just as well as the compound did. Us having more options is a good thing. What a joke.

And i call bull on the shorter seasons bit too. More draws are coming yes...but thats got alot more to do with wildlife management stuff than simply adding a tool that should already be in with the group anyhow. So in order to keep the draws from coming we want to encourage people to get out of hunting so there is less competition right? Brutal

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 01-23-2008 at 09:50 AM.