View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Shooter View Post
CalgaryChef – I think many of us made up our minds very early that this was paid hunting (regardless of the spin) and that it would greatly reduce the number of hunters and hunting opportunities that Albertans have equally enjoyed. This was never about habitat and conservation (my mistake) and in fact SRD confirmed it was all about access and compensation. In at least one Open Spaces document, the word “trophy hunting” is used to portray the program (or its benefits).

I have been reluctant to make this observation public, but I just can’t keep it to myself anymore; Open Spaces Alberta is ANTI-HUNTING! If you want to initiate a program of “divide and conquer” that will effectively increase costs, reduce the number of hunters and clear a path for the anti-hunting movement, then Open Spaces is the perfect vehicle. This was brought to my attention by an anti-hunter, so it is hardly my “interpretation”.

I fear the miscommunication on this topic and board is a result of short-sighted individuals that only look at the immediate benefits or personal gain for themselves with little regard for their fellow or future hunters. The original warnings were absolutely correct, and in fact most of the speculation (in the absence of information) was not only correct but proved to be very useful on a go-forward basis.

I have had the pleasure of personally meeting several individuals that are vehemently opposed to Open Spaces and we continue to work to abolish this piece of trash. We all communicate effectively and respectfully and I have never witnessed any animosity. I think the problems you see on this board are the result of agendas between individuals; those who benefit from Open Spaces, those who may see benefits in Open Spaces and those who are absolutely opposed to Open Spaces.

I think the line has been drawn; it’s up to us now to determine what is important for the present and the future and decide which side we are on. Regards, Mike
The Government in power now, covets the almighty dollar. This is about selling our wildlife to a chosen few. Open spaces will benefit a few Special Interest groups and friends of the Government. There virtually will not be an Alberta recreational hunter that will benefit from this program. APOS and some select landowners will greatly benefit. This is paid hunting and unless you have money you will not, as a resident of Alberta, be hunting along side the rich American. Money will afford rights and priviledges to a person from another country. Like it or not this program will go through. I am afraid there is nothing any of us can do about it except to voice our concern at the next election.

Last edited by Rafter; 01-31-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: punctuation