View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasno1 View Post
I was just rereading all of the documents for about the 100th time and noticed that in the latest version of the document the habitat portion of ramp is gone.

The first version I have is:

Recreational access management Program (RAMP) - compensates private landowners for providing habitat and recreational access for hunting and fishing to the public.

The most recent version reads:

Recreational access management Program (RAMP) - Landowners voluntarily enroll their private lands and commit to provide access opportunities for hunting and fishing.

If this is about habitat why did they take it out? My opinion is it is just a money grab. They do not even have to keep the habitat to get the money. They are getting paid to put a sign up on their land.

Bubba
Bubba, I am very confident that that requirement was removed because SRD likely realized that it violated the Canadian Constitution. How can you reward landowners in 108 and 300 under the auspices of habitat and conservation initiatives without recognizing the equal or superior contributions of all landowners in Alberta. Now that would have cost a lot of money!

I know a few landowners that were considering a legal challenge on those grounds if this went through. And the truth is I don't think the Province is out of the 'Litagation Woods" yet... not by a long shot.

I can't believe that landowners outside of 108 and 300 have not caught on to this. If this goes through in five years, it has nothing to do with conservation and responsible habitat stewardship but the reward goes to landowners fortunate enough to have draw animals on their property... by whatever means necessary. Ironically, this compensation direction will likely have negative consequences for native habitat, grasses and pastures as landowners attempt to maximize "their" wildlife profits. Regards, Mike