Thread: Bass? Alberta?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
No one has posted any facts supporting an introduction of a non-native species that would show that there is no negative impact on native species.

There are some posters who have argued vociferously for non-native species introductions, attempting all sorts of rational, but somehow forgot that the precautionary principle is rule one in fisheries and wildlife management.

Selfish reasons were given-"I want to fish for XYZ right here in Alberta", red herrings thrown out like. "well down east they co-habitat well, why not here" all in an attempt to side track the issue.

Let me state it clearly.

Introduced species can and often do have negative impacts on native species. Fact, not opinion.

End of story.

It's not worth the danger and you can not even begin to suggest you support conservation if you can't accept that.
Smallies have been intriduced in a few lakes in Alberta, such as island lake north of smoky lake. I have seen a few caught out of there years back and im sure there are some still in there unless the whole lake has winter killed in the last few years. The water levels there have receaded so much tho that the whole lake may be dead now.