Thread: Bass? Alberta?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 04:35 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
I`m not sure what channel you get all your info from -- this is straight out of Fisheries and Oceans Canada`s report about Smallmouth bass dated 2009----

Smallmouth bass were introduced into Alberta in the early to mid 20th century by
individuals or managers acting on their own initiative; these fish did not survive (Scott
and Crossman 1973; Nelson and Paetz 1992). Some reproduction of a small
population introduced between 1977 and 1984 into Island Lake, north of the town of
Smoky Lake in south-eastern Alberta, has been observed. Remnants of this population
may still exist (Nelson and Paetz 1992).
Smallmouth bass were introduced into a number of small ponds and lakes in southeastern
Saskatchewan (Langhorne et al. 2001). They are found primarily in the
southern lakes region.

Also if Steelheads line doesn`t exist then why are there no Bass in the milk river in Alberta
My bad. You are correct that some spawning was observed as indicated in Fishes of Alberta (Nelson&Paetz) but according to Alberta bio Mike Sullivan in 1991 there was no evidence of their continued survival. Even according to the info you posted there was question as to whether a population still existed in 1992. My point is that it's doubtful that it still does and while a limited spawning occured , it was not deemed successful.

As for the Milk River, no idea. Habitat possibly, water turbidity, forage, I don't know but likely the same reason there are no pike or walleye or perch either. The point of the line was that there is no distinct line that trout live above and bass would live below. There would be a point in the middle where they would mix. That's proven in most of Alberta's large rivers with walleye and pike. Call it a zone if you like but there is definitely no distinct line where one would start and the other would end.

Last edited by sheephunter; 09-17-2011 at 04:54 PM.