Thread: Bass? Alberta?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So zebra mussels, Asian carp, snakeheads, European milfoil and purple losestrife don't ring a bell as to the dangers of introducing non-native species into an ecosystem?

Zebra mussles were accidental, Asian carp and snakeheads likely released by on purpose and purple losetrife was "such a pretty plant" which had no natural predator in North America.

What harm could happen?

I can only say, we don't know what we don't know, and if we don't know, why take a chance?

Why not concentrate on making our existing fishery the best it can be.

God knows that there is so little funding that goes to it in the first place, why dilute funds.

Should things go wrong, even if it can be corrected (doubtful), how would it be paid for?

The AFGA has been fundraising for years to obtain critical habitat for fish and wildlife. Do you have any idea how difficult it is even for it to do so?

RMEF and DU are finding that their traditional fundraising (and they are the experts at it) is tanking to the point that they are looking at seriously curtailing some of their activities and staffing.

You hoping that funding raising will pay for stocking is just a hope.

Why do you think hatcheries in Alberta have shut down?

Because it costs millions of dollars that just is not available.

It's a nice thought, but reality is that even for marquis species it is difficult to raise enough funds to have projects be sustainable.
I was just writing a response to freeones when this came up...no need for any more from me. Well said.