Thread: ice augers
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

I guess it might most depend on the style of fishing you do Stubblejumper. If a run & gun with a snow machine or quad is what you do, where the machine is always in a rack and not carried long distances, id say you want a heavier unit. You would prob want brute force and speed with a bigger ogger if predators are the game. If it comes down to time, where your moving lots, speed can be the answer, especially if you want to take advantage of feed periods.
If you carry your equip out or pull it on a sled, id say something lighter. If you are a hard core perch angler, or pot hole rainbow hunter, you might want a smaller more compact rig. I guess speed comes with all of them no matter who built it. But i think you could tailor to your needs pretty easy. I have the new stealth 10 inch. Runs like a top, and moves alot of ice in a short time. I primarily hunt predators, so it fits what im doing quite well. I have a 6 inch hand augger for perch and rainbows, but i find my back can still take lugging the jiffy across 3 acres of ice, the odd time i go after em. Im really just lazy and dont wanna hand drill, but id prob be burning less breakfast if i grew a brain and took the hand rig. Lots of thinkin to do with upgrading any equipment, just remember the age thing....time catches up to us all!!!!

keep a strain on er.